Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers  (Read 431 times)

Offline Andre

• Members
[-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »
Game World #4

Blue Jet America

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/View/668/174/#AirlineInfo

I've noticed something strange. Whenever I increase the ticket price by 5% or so, the pax numbers actually increase. If you look at my pax graph at week 28/1982, that's the week after I raised my prices 5%. What I did was reset prices, then raise by 5%. What's going on? It's done the same thing several times before. I'm not complaining about more pax, but it seems to have the opposite effect of intended? Not that a 5% increase in prices should make pax drop a lot, but an increase is weird.

The week before I raised prices I had 203,000 pax, the week after 230,000 pax. That's more than 10% increase.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:55:24 PM by sami »

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
Re: Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:36:31 AM »
Move along, nothing to see here  ;D ;)
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Are you sure some competition did not drop off or some other external event affecting the demand?  (this is rather hard to recreate but will check later)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
Database backup, game date 13-Apr-1982 (week 15). Current game date 15-Aug-1982 (week 32).

#1: I've compared a few routes and the increase in sales on those routes were because one competitor has dropped out (EWR-SEA for example). And on other routes with no competition change I am seeing only minimal market share changes (was 25.29% and is now 25.47%) so that's not something that could be considered - but overall there's a small increase in market share's and LF over most routes (by a quick look).

#2: For airports, I see a large change in market share in ATL and a very minor change in EWR (not relevant):

Bases, current:
EWR - 4 airlines, market share 20.92%
ATL - 5 airlines, market share 6.18%

Bases, old:
EWR - 4 airlines, market share 20.62%
ATL - 5 airlines, market share 4.41%

Since ATL is so crowded it's hard to see who is the market share loser between these two points, since all airlines have minor changes.

#3: Testing a route ATL-HNL, there have been no changes in schedules or demand. Your current LF (two routes) is 86.9% + 89.9% vs at the backup 80.9% + 81.1% so it has increased and prices have been increased too. Looking at route planning, Amanville has lost market share significantly while you and Volppe have gained it (both +4%).

Static test on route BU417 to see if the pricing has "negative" effect. Old price in Y/C were 333 / 758 and now you have 354 / 801.

First with old pricing ($333..) and all random noise off, you should sell (on a Tuesday): 114/14/1 seats.
Making a price reset and adding +5% gives prices 345 / 782 (since the game date hasn't changed it's lower what you have now, but did the same change you did) and the sales for the same day are: 106/13/1.

==> So increasing the prices does not increase your sales if everything else remains static and unchanged.

The reason is somewhere else, which I can't pinpoint directly due to the vast number of routes and variables from other players, but it's due to competitor's actions I'd suspect.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:00:39 PM by sami »

Offline Mysil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
Move along, nothing to see here  ;D ;)

So this is Elites secret? :)

I think you are wrong, Sami. I just did this (reset all prices, and increase by 5%) in all 3 GWs I'm in, and my LF and ticket sales rose in all 3.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:09:46 PM by Mysil »

Offline Andre

• Members
Re: [-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks for looking into it Sami, but I've noticed this in the past as well. I haven't sent a bug report until this time, because I couldn't confirm it. And when it happened again this time, I figured it was time to let you know.

It's interesting that Mysil also has experienced the same thing.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »
So this is Elites secret? :)

I think you are wrong, Sami. I just did this (reset all prices, and increase by 5%) in all 3 GWs I'm in, and my LF and ticket sales rose in all 3.

Actually I never saw any indication that this happened in the past. I tried it after it was posted and did see some passenger gains, but I also moved planes around and up gauged others so I cant confirm it was entirely/at all due to the price reset. I was really more going for humor than anything else.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.