Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Scottish Demand 1950 (The Early Days)  (Read 384 times)

Offline Fluclo

• Members
Scottish Demand 1950 (The Early Days)
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Barra (EGPR / BRR) shows no demand, yet there are daily passenger planes to Glasgow (since 1936)
Tiree (EGPU / TRE) shows no demand, yet there are daily passenger planes to Glasgow (since 1940)
Glasgow (EGPF/GLA) shows 16.3% Intl Longhaul, but this should be 0%. All the demand would have been at Glasgow Prestwick (EGPK/PIK) until the 80s, but it's only showing 4%.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
Re: Scottish Demand 1950 (The Early Days)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »
The proportion setup of the airport demand (domestic, short, long) is static and does not change over time. (since finding such data would be completely impossible for each airport over the last 70-80 years).

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
To add to what Sami said : there are 2800 airports in this game, which means nearly 8 millions of 1-way routes. You just cannot hope to have every demand properly set up in every era of the game. If stored yearly, it would mean, between 1950 & 2030, more than 600 million of data to be manually adjusted. That's just insane.

That's why every game of the genre has to rely on abstractions. Which make strange results sometimes(In the late years, Prestwick-Beauvais is gushing cash, as there is usually no opposition for nearly 400 demand. In previous GW3, my A158 flew 3 times, for less than 10 hours a day, and was making a benefit of 1.6M per week. A plane bought new for 20M.....). I never played "old" games, and Beauvais is probably not open yet(1979 IRL). But that kind of accuracies can't be avoided, unless you pay for hundreds of people who would manually correct any mistake like that.

Offline Fluclo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
Barra is showing no demand at all, whilst I'm not looking for realism, it is prudent to expect Barra should have some demand. Just what demand is actually programmed for Barra? I couldn't find any at all. It says Domestic 100%, but it doesn't define what that demand is. I tried every airport up to 300 nm, and could not find any demand for any destination. Barra has had a consistent daily service to Glasgow from before the earliest date of all the sims here, and still runs to this day, which suggests there should be some demand from Barra to Glasgow.

The same goes for Tiree, what demand comes from there? Again, flights go to Glasgow as well as Oban (EGEO/OBN) and Coll (EGEL/COL), whilst those last two airports are not in this sim so it's understandable they don't show demand, there should at least be demand from Tiree to Glasgow.

It sort of begs the question, if there's no demand from them at all, why are they there?

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Just had a look in GW3, in 2011, the demand from Barra to Glasgow is 7, and same for Prestwick, 8 to heathrow, Manchester, 7 to Edinburgh. I won't fly there from Edinburgh, Ejets can't land there.

Checking internet, there is just a daily service to Glasgow. Bar none. So, for the 2000s, it's more or less realistic. And as demand is calculated backwards in the years, demand must be around zero or one.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
If the airport/airfield existed at that date then it was there for a reason. Local Demand plus a lack of any road or rail link which meant a slow, and weather affected, ferry service. The actual demand had it's own ups and downs but a base world population factor for local population plus a service factor (good reliable (delays less than 10%) service twice a day) would perhaps feed tourism and local demand so perhaps doubling the demand over time (over the base rate).
The Channel Islands are a similar model, similar situation. The solution doesn't need to be complex, just a base figure reflecting population within the catchment area and a factor for growth over time.
It would be nice to see an automatic Club Class included where demand exceeds perhaps 100 pax per day but that's polishing what is already a good game with just a few weak areas. I wonder, for example, how the additional African airfields have been 'loaded' and whether the charter operators will have a chance to meet infrequent Pax and Cargo demand under the new game scenarios.
It just keeps getting better and better.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.