Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: 3rd fleet  (Read 447 times)

Offline tdf42

• Members
3rd fleet
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »
I  need to add a 3rd fleet...is there any way of knowing the maintenance cost beforehand?

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site

The person who likes this post:
Re: 3rd fleet
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
No. But you will be fine as long as you don't go for a 4th fleet. That's when the penalty kicks in.

Offline Helix

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
Although for proper analysis of whether or not a 2nd or 3rd fleet is a good investment, some sort of values (of any kind) should be essential for a business simulation.

For example, I run and started out as an all A340/330 fleet airline. Thinking about if I should invest in a 747/777 or even 787 for some niche markets but I have no idea if that is viable and I'm not willing to make a costly mistake.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:00:48 AM »
Although for proper analysis of whether or not a 2nd or 3rd fleet is a good investment, some sort of values (of any kind) should be essential for a business simulation.

For example, I run and started out as an all A340/330 fleet airline. Thinking about if I should invest in a 747/777 or even 787 for some niche markets but I have no idea if that is viable and I'm not willing to make a costly mistake.

I would say that any investment in "niche" markets is a bad idea. Unless you can see yourself running 100-200 planes of that fleet type at some point, then don't do it, or it will be a waste of a fleet type.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
Is it?

I run an airline with EMB120's, BE99's and DJ328's. I have a little under 40 aircraft spread over 3 fleet types.

For the picture:
EMB120 (27 to 30 seats)
BE99 (14 to 17 seats)
DJ328 (33 to 39 seats)

The DJ328's have just entered service and are deployed on the longer routes. They do not make any money at this moment as RI has to increase. The other fleet types earn me a respectable profit.

That being said, small aircraft cost less, but my problem is overhead and staff cost.

Sorry Lakitel, but your wrong. After playing this game for more then 6 years I think I know how to run an airline and know my things about fleet types.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:32:35 AM by Maarten Otto »

Offline Lakitel

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
Is it?

I run an airline with EMB120's, BE99's and DJ328's. I have a little under 40 aircraft spread over 3 fleet types.

For the picture:
EMB120 (27 to 30 seats)
BE99 (14 to 17 seats)
DJ328 (33 to 39 seats)

The DJ328's have just entered service and are deployed on the longer routes. They do not make any money at this moment as RI has to increase. The other fleet types earn me a respectable profit.

That being said, small aircraft cost less, but my problem is overhead and staff cost.

Sorry Lakitel, but your wrong. After playing this game for more then 6 years I think I know how to run an airline and know my things about fleet types.

Ermm, first of all, there's no need to be so defensive, I wasn't quoting you, I was quoting the other guy.

Second of all, just because you have experience doesn't mean you are right, that's called an appeal to authority, and it's a logical fallacy.

Thirdly, if you actually read what I quoted, Helix was talking about whether it is viable to invest in airplanes for niche markets, meaning that he won't make that much profit over the long run, as compared to having a fleet type where he can run lots of planes that can make lots of money. He's more than welcome to try, but it would make more sense to invest in a large fleet that will bring in a good profit, rather than a small fleet that will barely break even.

Fourthly, you are talking about pretty small planes, meaning they don't cost as much to buy, and don't cost as much to lease, so you can absorb losses until the routes become profitable. On the other hand a 777 or 787 is a massive aircraft, that is very expensive, and unless you can absorb the considerable losses until the aircraft becomes profitable, you're likely to put yourself in the poorhouse and/or BK.

Now that being said, it's not impossible or unreasonable to run a small airline, that wasn't my point at all. My point is that if you are looking to run a profitable airline, it's best to specialize your fleet types and use the fleet types strategically, rather than just pick niche markets because they are not supplied.

Also, I really don't understand what your point is by telling me you are running an airline with under 40 aircraft. Almost everybody here will tell you that having only 40 planes isn't going to get you anywhere, unless your plan is just to coast through, or to experiment with the game mechanics.

Offline tdf42

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »
No. But you will be fine as long as you don't go for a 4th fleet. That's when the penalty kicks in.
My first suggestion although it may be something already talked about. A way to be able to run a cost analysis on adding fleet types.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.