Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: newbie question regarding aircraft comparison  (Read 544 times)

leftwing

• Former member
newbie question regarding aircraft comparison
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I am new, and I think I am developing an addiction to the game ;D.

I am still learning. I would like to know if anybody have a 'custom' made tool such as that one feature in that old thread
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php?topic=4294.0

The game is so competitive, I need help in how to better plan my airplane choice.
If anybody have a "custom" made tool, please feel free to share with me!

Thank you all and sorry if I disturb you!

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
Re: newbie question regarding aircraft comparison
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:06:13 AM »
just try and fail until you know what fleet works for you. many go the easy way with Boeing or Airbus. Some dare to try Tupolev where others manage yo run a profitable business with small turboprops.

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:29 AM »
Yeah, it is trial and error. I think the most important thing to consider is getting enough route sectors in per day, particularly early in your airlines life. In GW4 I'm flying in Romania and have BAC1-11's, EMB110C's and Fairchild Metros. The Metro is much faster than the Embraer's and I probably get another 1-2 sectors out of them over the 450nm range sector of my network. With jet comparison this becomes a less important factor.

Also I think if you are doing a full Long Haul International airline, you will probably go either Airbus or Boeing for long haul. With that in mind commonality costs would be lower (I think) if your corresponding short haul fleet is from the same manufacturer A320 Family or B737 Family respectively.

The biggest difference when it is worth saving money is between generations of aircraft, say B707's to DC10's and B747's being a case in point. It's not worth going A320 to B737NG series for the sake of that saving, it will be hard to justify that investment. There is so little difference between aircraft of the same generation you will get a good profit out either of them. You will get an idea what fits for your airline, availability of aircraft (used and new), demand of your routes, runway requirements and commonality will all affect your decision.

leftwing

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:22:08 AM »
Thank you for these advices!

Online schro

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:25 AM »
With that in mind commonality costs would be lower (I think) if your corresponding short haul fleet is from the same manufacturer A320 Family or B737 Family respectively.

No no no.

Offline [ATA] Hassel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
Russian steel can be a good choice, but it takes an experimented player to make them work. I had a lot of success with A148 in previous GW3, but only because I could buy them for 13M$ new when the equivalent plane from Embraer was at 45M$. At similar purchase price, my A148 strategy would have been suicide. It worked only because I was the only one to buy them - this stalled prices. If many other players had joined, we'd have bankrupted together. No such risk with the Ejet, a sound plane that can be profitable even at high purchasing price.

If you stick with "classics", i.e. planes not too outdated and rather mainstream, it shall not kill you. In the modern era, turboprops up to 70 seats, Ejets(or the recently implemented Fairchil-Dornier 728 family that is nearly as good, and cheaper to buy) between 70-100 seats, anything Boeing or Airbus above, are families you can't make mistakes with. CRJs & ERJs are more tricky, because they lure you into long-range/low-capacity lines that are not that profitable, and I invested too much money in those. And they require anal-level price micromanagement to be profitable.

I don't know well the previous eras, though.

And be sure to stick to 2 main fleet groups, the 3rd fleet group being for fleet changes.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
If I recall correctly you can have 3 main fleet types before the penalty kicks in.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
If I recall correctly you can have 3 main fleet types before the penalty kicks in.

Yes, but unless you want to switch 300 planes within one (very tedious) game week, the day you change of family, you're screwed with 4 types. A big guy of our alliance was at 15% positive margin, he began replacing his F100 by E195, he was one year at -10%, and is now around 1-2%. This will last until he's back to 3 fleet types.

That's why I say 2 "main" types, and one "temporary" type. Once again, the alternative is to buy 300 E195, to store them for years in the desert, and to get them out all at once. Brrrrrrr. :'(

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »
Well actually my thought was the commonality page splits everything according to airframe manufacturer and engines. I was thinking out loud as to whether actually having two Boeings fleets as opposed to Boeing and Airbus gives a slight advantage in commonality costs. I wasn't concerned about the 3-4 type increase. It's something I have never experimented with and taken some numbers, so I didn't know whether it is worth anything.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
Well actually my thought was the commonality page splits everything according to airframe manufacturer and engines. I was thinking out loud as to whether actually having two Boeings fleets as opposed to Boeing and Airbus gives a slight advantage in commonality costs. I wasn't concerned about the 3-4 type increase. It's something I have never experimented with and taken some numbers, so I didn't know whether it is worth anything.

I don't think it would make any difference whether you have 2 fleet types from the same manufacturer. After all, the cost is for the airframe, and airframes can vary a lot, even inside a manufacturer's line of products. The only time I can think of having lower commonality costs inside one manufacturer, is if both airframes use the same engine, but I would think that's rare, and moreover, doesn't have much to do with the manufacturer of the airframe.

Ofc, I could be talking out my ass, so if somebody with more experience or first hand experience can verify this, it would be better :).

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
I'd imagine crew training would be where any benefits are, if they are there.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.