Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Worsening relations with other world leaders.....  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Scott

• Members
Worsening relations with other world leaders.....
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
Quote:  Worsening relations with other world leaders have lead France to receive sanctions on it's trade and travel. Experts believe relations will ameliorate in about a six months but for the meantime travel is expected to drop by 30%.

Ok, fair enough, but why has my domestic routes also been hit by a 30% drop?  Doesn't make sense?

I will not start on the fact that it's a rather absurd target for a sanction! I guess it's random but still!  Or that the picture is of Obama who in 1998 had only just joined the Illinois State Senate.....  ;D

Enjoying the random events though, well done :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:37:14 PM by Scott »

Offline schro

• Members
Re: Worsening relations with other world leaders.....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »
Thanks obama!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
Events with a demand modified always affect all routes departing and arriving from the affected airport/country/continent. In this case all of France.  ...which is logical too since there are less people arriving to the country's major hubs, so there are less people travelling inside the country too. And less things to do for the local businessman etc ..

Offline Wreck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:35:31 PM »
which is logical too since there are less people arriving to the country's major hubs, so there are less people travelling inside the country too. And less things to do for the local businessman etc ..

Maybe in your model, but I doubt it in real life, maybe 5% but not 30%.

Once again an event that in real life you would be able to implement a contingency plan for, but not within this game structure. What does it add to game enjoyment?

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks Sami

By the way, France holds a UN veto and hence would obviously veto any UN sanction resolution against itself.

Look I totally understand this was a random event and if is was Somalia or Kazakhstan we wouldn't be having this discussion.  I do also appreciate wrecks comment about what does it actually bring in regards to enjoyment to the game.  There is also the glaringly obvious problem that surely this would effect Airbus and it's export of aircraft?....... it's a French based company. 

I would suggest that the pool of countries that this event can happen too is restricted to those countries it is at least fisable to occur too.  Imagine the uproar if this happened to the US next?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
Maybe in your model, but I doubt it in real life, maybe 5% but not 30%.

Once again an event that in real life you would be able to implement a contingency plan for, but not within this game structure. What does it add to game enjoyment?

You could be surprised. Air travel from Russia is down 35-40% since the sanctions began last year, so much so that Aeroflot is grounding whole fleets (777 IIRC).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Wreck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
You could be surprised. Air travel from Russia is down 35-40% since the sanctions began last year, so much so that Aeroflot is grounding whole fleets (777 IIRC).

The comment related to internal flights. Grounding fleets for six months is not possible in this game - your slots expire...

Living in France, if this happened I suspect the whole country would go on holiday for the duration, thus boosting air travel  ;)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
There's always the TGV!!  8)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »
I see America has just got clobbered too..... marvellous, does that now mean France to US routes are at -60%?

Offline Scott

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »
Just checked and yes it does,  Sami, come on mate, this is silly.  :(

Offline Wreck

• Members

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
Only a matter of time before bird flu causes a stock market crash in France too. Then we can deal with the concept of negative passengers.

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
Wreck, it's funny, we have been politely in competition in this GW for 30 odd years but it takes 2 random events to really hit us!

Offline Wreck

• Members

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »
Indeed, just shows effort is not enough. The game is now a lottery.
Hope you come through this OK, not sure if I will. It would be a sad way to end the "contest".

Offline bartel11

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »
Just as I was beginning to recover 2 massive events in the US. Feeling it on this side of the pond too. Not sure I'm gonna come out of this one alive.

Offline Scott

• Members

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »
Yeah, I may pop.  You may have noticed I was introducing Saab2000 and A320's to replace my F100/70's and 757's.  I am beyond the 4th fleet as a result, can't buy any more to complete it and haemorrhaging money.  Indeed, a sad, frustrating and totally unnecessary way to end what has been an enjoyable gameworld.  An event that is likely to kill 2 well established airlines in the same country is a poorly thought out and implemented idea.

If France was put into economic sanctions there would be a world wide global crisis, it's as likely as the UK, US or Germany getting one. 

If the game is about enjoyment then this doesn't bring it, if the game is about realism then it isn't realistic.

Offline Wreck

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »
Yes, I'm going through fleet replacement too. My hand is being forced by the pedantic "real world" hush kit policy which means that I should be going to 4 fleets temporarily too, but after one day's experiment it was clear that it would have been a suicidal move with these sanctions in place, so I'm having to sell instead. I may well vote with my feet whenever this game world ends for me.

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
GW4 is where it is for me at the moment. I have been ignoring GW3 in an attempt to bankrupt my airline, that hasn't happened to I ordered 7 a380's as a laugh, ironically it will probably work!  GW1 was meant to be my sensible stable world....

Bergstreet, is doing alright still, surprise surprise :)

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 08:44:01 AM »
Yes, I'm going through fleet replacement too. My hand is being forced by the pedantic "real world" hush kit policy which means that I should be going to 4 fleets temporarily too, but after one day's experiment it was clear that it would have been a suicidal move with these sanctions in place, so I'm having to sell instead. I may well vote with my feet whenever this game world ends for me.

I was wondering when you were going to replace you aircraft! I have to wear ear defenders even in my plush executive port cabin when I hear your birds fire up in the morning.  :laugh:

Offline Wreck

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
I was wondering when you were going to replace you aircraft! I have to wear ear defenders even in my plush executive port cabin when I hear your birds fire up in the morning.  :laugh:

You may hear the beautiful music in Paris for a while yet, it's taking a considerable time to sort Nice & Lyon out  :)

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
You took the E145 didn't you? I fancied a punt on the Saab 2000. 

I found it just isn't worth having anything with 100 seats or more in Europe at the moment, so congested and never run at more than 50/60%.  Also the 100 seat birds are so expensive to replace, just didn't seem worth it.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.