» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help  (Read 798 times)

Jman8910

• Former member
Help
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Hello,

I am relatively new to AWS and I am having some issues. I have played sims like this in the past so I'm not lost and I know a lot about aviation but I still am having problems. I currently operate a fleet of 6 737-3/4/5 aircraft out of PHL, but even though I have decent LF it seems like I can't make any money, it seems like the expenses are you much no matter what I do. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:14 AM »
 Unfortunately, I'm not in gw1 so I can't really give you in-depth analysis, but a bit more information could help. For example, what's your average LF specifically? Do you have general marketing campaign for the company? and if you do, what type of marketing do you have going?

If your LF is around the 98% range, you can increase the prices by 5%-10%, it should help you get some extra income in.

But the main thing I want to understand is if you are making profits or not.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
A screenshot of your detailed expenses would help. Knowing if your lines are overcrowded with competition would help also. If your company image is not too low, it's sometimes a good idea to increase prices, even if LF is not that good. For a starting company as yours, there are 2 big levers to improve profitability : use of the plane, and prices.

Use of the plane, you can improve by tightening your schedule(but I have no clue if this is your problem), and accurate pricing you can improve mainly by trial and error.

Ah, and aim for lines with few or no competition. It allows for higher pricing.

Jman8910

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
My average LF is 75% for Y, and I have marketing for general. I am losing 1.4M a week though, and it seems like it's almost not possible to make enough money to overcome the expenses.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
 Yeah, but what do you have running as general? Have you set it to nation wide, or world wide, or city wide? Also, are you running billboards, newspapers, internet, radio, tv, what exactly? You might be spending too much on marketing. You should aim for city or nation wide, and only do billboards, newspapers and internet for now.

Other than that, gaz gave good advice. Making tighter schedules, pick routes that don't have competition (And therefore can have their prices increased much higher). As we both said, it's hard to give advice without your detailed information.

Edit: I just wanted to add that a big portion of this game is micro-managing prices. So on one route, you could increase economy class ticket prices but decrease business class tickers. So keep in mind that proper pricing is very important.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:54:04 PM by Lakitel »

Jman8910

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »
Its almost impossible to find routes without competition. It also seems that even if all of my routes were as profitable as my most profitable ones it still wouldn't be possible to make enough money to overcome basic expenses like salaries and leases.

Jman8910

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:53:28 PM »
It seems that no matter what I do I can't hope to overcome my expenses, is really just doesn't seem possible.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
Reset your prices. Then increase them by 10%. That should help a lot.

Jman8910

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
Won't that completely mess up my LF?

Offline Matt Elphick

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
It may mess them up briefly but remember if your LF goes down but you have higher prices you should be getting as much if not more income. Also from there you can adjust prices like normal to get higher load factor and higher income.

Hope that helps

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »
Won't that completely mess up my LF?

60% LF at 90$ per seat is much better than 75%LF at 60$ per seat.

And remember that you have a lot of fees for transporting each passenger(fuel and airport fees). Therefore, 75%LF at 60$ is not as good than 60%LF at 75$. By far.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
If you have a Company Image of around 30% or more, it should be fine. Remember the prices will keep rising all over throughout the game world. The cost of everything goes up, and so does the ticket prices. But the routes you've already set up have a fixed set of prices that will be on status quo until you reset your prices. It's good practice to reset your prices now and then, and test out increasing them additionally to increase revenue. If you don't reset your prices, your airline will be screwed.

Like others have said, it's better to fly fewer pax who pays more, than more pax who pays less.

Jman8910

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:19 AM »
Okay I am making some progress thank you all of you!

Offline freshmore

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
Speaking as someone who has come back to the game after a while and started mid world and having had a brief glance at your airline I would say this.

Fly Closer - If there is one thing I wouldn't of done with that Philadelphia is fly to Portland and Seattle. Closer routes get a lot more money, for my money you should be maximising route sectors per day. I have Fairchild Metros in GW4 which are 275kts Turboprops, are they are great. I fly them up to 460nm taking the range hit and I'm getting 4-5 sectors per day. My Emb110C's are much slower and are utilised 450nm to 670nm and I will only get two sectors out of a similarly pax carrying aircraft, yes they earn money but not as much, although they are still bedding in as far as I'm concerned. Also if I was flying them on the Fairchild routes I'd probably loose a sector (or two) per day as they are much slower. Start close and work out, work down the list carefully, you might miss a good route if you are not careful.

Find your niche - I.e. Find plenty of routes that are unserved or underserved. I've found competing with other competitors who are well established very hard and it gave me some small margins and some scary losses, although I had plenty of cash in reserve. I had some BAC1-11's in GW4 losing me hand over fist initially when I set up the routes, now they have settled they are great. Expect losses when you are competing against someone who is already established and maxed out demand/supply. What I've found is routes that are underserved or empty is they can be ramped up to good profits very quickly. After a while you can start to slowly gain market share (and profits) on bigger heavy competition routes. I'll repeat my comment, expect losses.

One thing I would say when competing with the "establishment". Frequency can be your best friend. Smaller aircraft flying more frequently seems to be a good way at eating into market share as a smaller competitor. E.g. A route with 300 pax demand. A competitor flys 2x A320's per day meaning approx 300 pax. Therefore I would fly something around the 70-100 mark. Talking Fokker 70, BAe146 etc. That will fill up to 70-90%LF much quicker that an equivalent A320. You will make money much quicker, later on you might be able to add another frequency and take market share or you could just maximise prices. Also adding another frequency is simple as you already have the RI, it will make money instantly.

The other advantage of this strategy so far as I'm concerned is that a 70-90 seat aircraft can flying other 70-90 seat routes that are not being served or have enough spare pax to fill your plane. Therefore giving you a balance between routes you have a monopoly on or are underserved and routes you want to compete on. Although I would get my airline steady before I go after competition routes. For me I would go 2x monopoly/underserved and 1x competing routes per day for a 3 sector day.

My thoughts when starting recently was to go in a find a unique fit for my airline, don't fight fire with fire, think nimbly, that is work with what you've got and then work to what you want. I also found taking it slow for the first few game months and working out slowly what I can get away with, don't spend all your cash on leases initially it doesn't give a lot of wiggle room when it comes to the small margins and potential early losses you might encounter as a mid game start up.

What I do for start pricing, usually about 4 clicks down on the -10% button. Maybe a few more if I've got heavy competition. Anything lower than that doesn't actually yield that much of an improvement in LF on new routes. Although you will get a feel for what works with that airline and GW after a while. It's the rule of thumb I use and thought you might appreciate the guideline to work to. I'd be interested to know what other people do. Keep checking back. Any route 90%+ for me gets a +10%. 70-80% I adjust if I can be bothered.

Finally - Read around, there is tonnes of good advice and stuff on this forum. Curse's guide is good from what I remember. Learn it now and you will be in a great place to take advantage of the next Game World. From what I remember starting mid game is different when compared to an early game start.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.