Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] New KMG/ZPPK GW2  (Read 327 times)

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
[ok] New KMG/ZPPK GW2
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
The new KMG opened on December 31, 2011, with an identical demand split (85 Domestic/15 International) yet demand has been cut by more than 1/2. I understand when the demographics of an airport change to more International or more Domestic ops, but in this case it is a simple switch, same demand profile, yet demand has been severely cut. This does not make sense. For example, when the new HKG opens demand increases pretty significantly, so logically the same should happen in KMG. I mean, I am pretty sure a shiny new airport will not make passengers decide NOT to fly.....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:19:50 AM by sami »
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: New KMG/ZPPK GW2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »
Both of the airports have nearly identical specs in the database, the new airport is marked to have 1 million more pax per year (the basic stats that drive the demand system) compared to the old airport.

The difference might be because of the transition. It should update immediately though ...

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
I will watch, but I know this has been an issue in past games as well. An example is PEK-KMG, dropped from 1800/day to 750/day, SHA more than a 50% drop as well from about 900 to 350, and the change is now 2 weeks old. In theory, demand should transfer almost instantly when an airport transfers (within 1 game day), correct? And since the old airport closed the demand is not split between 2 airports, and as stated the demand split is identical, therefore demand o individual routes should be equal or more if annual pax is increased 1 million.

Edit: SHA not PVG
CEO PacAir

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »
Another game week passed and no demand increase. Surlely this has to be a bug?
CEO PacAir

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:04:30 AM »
I've generally noticed that demand will buff itself out within a game day or two of an airport opening... so this seems buggy.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »
And I will add these as evidence, 2 routes from a smaller airport with similar demand split (90/10 vs 85/15 at KMG) each with more than double the demand to SHA and PEK)

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Planning/ZSSS/ZLXY/?go=1 SHA, 640 to XIY, 310 to KMG
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Planning/ZBAA/ZLXY/?go=1 PEK, 1640 to XIY, 710 to KMG

Per Wiki, XIY handled 30 million passengers in 2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi%27an_Xianyang_International_Airport)
Also per Wiki, KMG handled 33 million passengers in 2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunming_Changshui_International_Airport)

Lastly, I will add this, wiki list of busiest airports in China for the last several years. KMG is busier than XIY every year by at least 1 m passengers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_China#2011_final_statistics

So, somewhere, something is off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:08:43 AM by ZombieSlayer »
CEO PacAir

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
The difference seems to be in domestic pax amounts, tested the calculation very quickly and pax amounts to Hong Kong for example are practically the same but difference to Beijing for example is rather large (1700 vs 950 in my test example).

edit: Found the reason, the old airport has some real life stats data added for it also for routes. The new airport hasn't.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: [ok] New KMG/ZPPK GW2
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »
Excellent, so should I expect demand to return to old levels then?
CEO PacAir

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.