Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Flight over the night  (Read 959 times)

Offline Mnemic

• Members
Flight over the night
« on: July 15, 2015, 06:19:37 AM »
Hi guys

I've started a route of around 3000nm. Because of my airports time of closing, then i'm forced to fly the plane over night.
The route is from Indonesia to Japan and my question is how is the system handling red eye flights? I tried to search, but couldn't really find what I were looking for.

Does passengers have issues with leaving at 9pm and arriving at 8 am at destination or leaving around 4pm and arriving at 8 pm at destination?
Any advices or things I should consider instead?

Offline Teadaze

• Members
Re: Flight over the night
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »
aws runs on the follow rules:

arrival and departure within 6-2255. no penality
arrival and departure within 5-600, slight penality(uncertain, some say they do but i don't see a large enough difference to worry about)
arrival and departure within 2300-0455, passenger load penalty will happen, also require higher RI/CI to hit full load even if you have monopoly.

Offline Mnemic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
So as long as the plane is taken off before the 23.00 and land after 6.00 then it's having no penalty?

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
as long as the plane is taken off and land between 23-5 you are fine.(like i said the 5am thing is almost doesn't matter).
meaning:
0500 take off 2250 arrive ok
2250 take off 0500 arrive ok
2250 take off 0455 arrive bad
0400 take off 2250 arrive bad.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
as long as the plane is taken off and land between 23-5 you are fine.

Generally yes, but it's not a hard cut limit at the exact 5 minute like you said (ie. "0455 bad, 0500 good" = incorrect). It's linear, and 05am takeoff is not good (should be closer to 06am..).

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what is worse, taking off or landing during the "bad" hours?  Or is it equal?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
Departure is worse... (think of having to go to airport at 3am for a 4.30am departure ... vs arrival)

Offline Mnemic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »
I appreciate the information :)

6 years here, and still everytime I ask questions, Sami is there to answer. ;)

Offline Frederik

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:14:23 AM »
This being said there are areas in the world (Middle East, India) where departures in the Middle of the night are
routine so although this restriction is perfectly understandable and realistic for domestic US or Inter-European operations some fine tuning could be done to allow Delhi-Europe or Dubai-anywhere flights at 2 am.
Swiss quality all over the world

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:24:35 AM »
Flights from Dubai leave at the midnight because Emirates etc have decided so .. not because the passengers like that. = Entirely different thing  ;)

Offline Frederik

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
and passengers (including Europeans,Australians, Japanese, etc) accept that without problems (I have often taken such flights myself) - the fact that 50% of passengers are in transit of course does play a role!
as an other example almost all Long Haul flights from Delhi leave at night - there are 34 international departures tonight from Delhi between 00:00 and 06:00 by AF,BA,LH,LX,NH and many others - and passengers don't seem to mind that much either (and Delhi is an O&D not a hub)
as long as the flights are Long Haul and the arrival times are at a more "respectable" time demand does not appear to be penalized.
Swiss quality all over the world

Offline AppleBoss

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »
Flights from Dubai leave at the midnight because Emirates etc have decided so .. not because the passengers like that. = Entirely different thing  ;)

Actually it's also for passager  conveniance. This allow to avoid the heat of the day. It's not The com mon rule but any rules has its own exeptions

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »
This being said there are areas in the world (Middle East, India) where departures in the Middle of the night are
routine so although this restriction is perfectly understandable and realistic for domestic US or Inter-European operations some fine tuning could be done to allow Delhi-Europe or Dubai-anywhere flights at 2 am.

If you guys don't mind me bumping a bit of an old thread, I actually have to say that here in Egypt a LOT of flights tend to happen between midnight and and 6 A.M. . What I've mostly noticed is that mostly domestic flights happen in the day, while the majority of int'l flights happen at night.

Although, as said before, this doesn't really mean much when it comes to what passengers like or not :P.

I guess what would be nice is if it wasn't just a gradient from midnight to 6 AM with the middle being the worst, but rather, taking into account if there are any other flights available in the other hours. If there is only 1 flight leaving on that day, and it's at 3AM in the morning, it shouldn't have a negative effect. It wouldn't mean much for the more popular routes, but with ones that have low pax demand, it could probably help spreading out flights a bit better.

Offline KEMKid

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Many flights in the Middle East have departures in the middle of the night to timely reach European hubs in the morning for connections.

The economics of this game virtually force you to do red eye flights as a rule. Otherwise, the utilization hours on your jets will be too low for them to be cost-effective.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.