Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Reflections of the Weary  (Read 823 times)

Offline Jetsetter

• Members
Reflections of the Weary
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
I started my airline over a year ago real time, and have shaped it into a significant performer that was consistently ranked in the top 10 in revenue, passengers, and value. But alas, times change, and so too does reality.

My fleet has been through a variety of iterations, as the DC-6's and 7's were phased out for DC-9's 727's and DC-8's, in turn replaced with L-1011's and 737 OG's. At this point I had 400 737's and approximately 800 total aircraft, each scheduled with 7 day scheduling, which has seriously taken DAYS to do.

Anyway, I started on swapping flights from the OG to the NG 737's. About 10 hours into it, I realized, I wasn't having fun. This was grind. This was boring as s*** grind. All the imaginary numbers that would be manipulated by my dedication would be nice and all, but holy crap if I'm going to p*** away another 10 hours I either better get paid or I'll spend it playing GTA where at least there is some variety. I am so bored with opening an aircraft schedule, pressing the dropdown for 737-6/7/8/9, pressing the dropdown for 65 minute turn time, and pressing complete.

It's fun strategizing, selecting your fleet, ordering aircraft, flying comparably to big airlines, but dear god is it laborious to schedule. I don't mind writing one 7 day schedule. It takes about half an hour for each aircraft. But then I spend another half an hour doing rote clicking to roll it out to the remaining aircraft. Click, click, done. Click, click, done. Emphasize the fun and automate the dull. Sometimes you realize how stupid it is to carry a burden of an imaginary airline around when you can sink hours into this yet at the end of the game world all you have to show for it is a place on a leaderboard.

Anyway, food for thought. I'll be back, this is an addiction after all. Maybe what I feel is similar to what others have, which is why there's only 200 people playing in a game world with 700 slots. In the immortal words of my airlines namesake, it's going down for real.

Offline Cammellodacorsa

• Members
    • http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Banner/170/343/
Re: Reflections of the Weary
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »
Honestly, I totally agree.
This is why I prefered to play again a beginner scenario. Because you do all that in a smaller scale, as I do not even think to have 10 spare hours to schedule all thos routes. And then if I need to change the fleet everything has to be done again.

What you say is correct. But there are many things to add to this topic.

What about poor selection in views?

It would be easy to have the chance to refine views, for example, show me all my planes with leasing that will ends less than one year.
Show me all routes with less than 70% LF but more than 50%, and only fantasy could stop this, but for god's sake, you need to go through the different data every time you need something a little bit more defined!!!!

Somebody says that not having a clear image of what pax are available in a certain route is part of the strategy, I really dont think so.
If I have 2000 employes I easily could find a guy with a pen and a paper that go throught all lanes and provide info regarding how many pax are available and ahow many are already covered! Why I need to do this search everytime from zero to 6000 NM!!!!!!!!

And I could go on....

Solemus

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
When I first started this game I did not understand a single thing about this game and I kept going bankrupt again and again. I was nervous about going into the forums and asking anything, so I tried the mentors, strange though, I didn't even get an answer, I was fired up and went into the forum and really let go. A person on here who is now called Curse, calmly answered me.
From that day to this I have enjoyed this game even though I still kept going bankrupt, I learnt from my mistakes, I still go bankrupt occasionally and it is because of a stupid mistake or two.
I've been here for years now, not as long as some though, but I really get stuck in and it is a very addictive game.
All I can say to you guys is don't give up, try joining an alliance, there are a number of them and some are better than others, some have expectations of their members, some will help you get along in the game game, I am not going to anymore than that.

Chin up guys and persevere

Rick
CEO Spectrum Alliance

Offline Stubert

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »
That is why you should only use 7 day scheduling for laung haul. I transitioned 110 757s to 739s and 321s in 1 hour . Even if you did use 7 days scheduling for short haul,  using tabs correctly, a 7 day schedule with 10 routes shouldn`t take more than about 2 minutes. = 60 aircraft per hour.

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
That is why you should only use 7 day scheduling for laung haul. I transitioned 110 757s to 739s and 321s in 1 hour . Even if you did use 7 days scheduling for short haul,  using tabs correctly, a 7 day schedule with 10 routes shouldn`t take more than about 2 minutes. = 60 aircraft per hour.

Bull s*** Sami should just make it much more easier to do transition.

Offline jotagrande

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:39:19 AM »
7-day schedulers have made a choice to do it that way... so reap what you sow. Since you chose a method that requires several mouse clicks and lots of time, knowing the framework of this game, maybe you'll just have to accept that you will have to make several mouse clicks and spend lots of time to play the way you do.

Would you go out on the sporting field and demand game play changes because, say for example, you don't like to run?

Yes, yes..this is a management strategy game...your precious time ought not to be wasted on cumbersome methods to implement your management choices. Again, this is only a major problem for people who build their airlines to un-realistic proportions, which is the number one problem with this game, which is why so many protocols have been built in to try to contain growth.

An easier solve would be to have an option for  bi-weekly scheduling instead of weekly. Over a 14 day period you can schedule airplane A on Mo We Fr Su Tu Th Sa, cycle repeats. Aircraft B flies Tu Th Sa Mo We Fri Su. Two planes do the job.

Anyway, it bugs the hell out of me to see a 7-day scheduler who has different flights numbers for every flight. They have 3 daily flights but it'll show 21 lines which I think is just pure laziness. I waste so much time trawling through route planning flight lists because of your lazy housekeeping, so since I waste time due to your play methods, maybe you should too.

Happy skies

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:42 AM »
When I first started this game I did not understand a single thing about this game and I kept going bankrupt again and again. I was nervous about going into the forums and asking anything, so I tried the mentors, strange though, I didn't even get an answer, I was fired up and went into the forum and really let go. A person on here who is now called Curse, calmly answered me.
From that day to this I have enjoyed this game even though I still kept going bankrupt, I learnt from my mistakes, I still go bankrupt occasionally and it is because of a stupid mistake or two.
I've been here for years now, not as long as some though, but I really get stuck in and it is a very addictive game.
All I can say to you guys is don't give up, try joining an alliance, there are a number of them and some are better than others, some have expectations of their members, some will help you get along in the game game, I am not going to anymore than that.

Chin up guys and persevere

Rick
CEO Spectrum Alliance

forwarded to curse :)

actually it takes longer then that, open aircraft page, manage route, open tab on the 6 route scheduled on the aircraft, change aircraft type while loading(assume you do not need to readjust time), go to schedule, set a/b check and add route. that will take more then 2 minute assume it takes time to load each action. it's a huge hassle compare to normal schedule, but we still agree to do it.

i def think there are lots of room for improvement in this simulator. However it is one of the best out there currently, and really.... sami is trying hard not to introduce something too fast since poor thought out implementation can break the world(as we have seen multiple times before).

it is also very hard to balance and satisfy all player, remember:
- small player wants advantage over other player as their airline is new and weak, and 7 day schedule a good way to discourage large player to work on them.
- medium player don't want large airline to be able to order both 320 and 737 at the same time because they can only manage to order 3-5 frame everytime while the large successful airline can order 100 easily.
- large airline want everything to be easily manage so they can continue to autopilot their success, order and use every aircraft there is without penality, and squeece out small airline.

best of luck if you decide to move on, i have seen many people come and go.... some who loves this game will come back sooner or later.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:36:19 AM by Aoitsuki »

Offline Jetsetter

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

I transitioned 150 aircraft in 10 hours. Until you try it, I suggest you not speculate as to how long it takes.

7-day schedulers have made a choice to do it that way... so reap what you sow. Since you chose a method that requires several mouse clicks and lots of time, knowing the framework of this game, maybe you'll just have to accept that you will have to make several mouse clicks and spend lots of time to play the way you do.

Would you go out on the sporting field and demand game play changes because, say for example, you don't like to run?

Yes, yes..this is a management strategy game...your precious time ought not to be wasted on cumbersome methods to implement your management choices. Again, this is only a major problem for people who build their airlines to un-realistic proportions, which is the number one problem with this game, which is why so many protocols have been built in to try to contain growth.

An easier solve would be to have an option for  bi-weekly scheduling instead of weekly. Over a 14 day period you can schedule airplane A on Mo We Fr Su Tu Th Sa, cycle repeats. Aircraft B flies Tu Th Sa Mo We Fri Su. Two planes do the job.

Anyway, it bugs the hell out of me to see a 7-day scheduler who has different flights numbers for every flight. They have 3 daily flights but it'll show 21 lines which I think is just pure laziness. I waste so much time trawling through route planning flight lists because of your lazy housekeeping, so since I waste time due to your play methods, maybe you should too.

Happy skies

Or perhaps I'm trying to provide meaningful feedback as to why someone who has been on Airwaysim for 4 years is losing patience? I'm just saying, at least I can put together a coherent statement rather than acting like a manbaby that I have too many flight numbers. Unrealistic proportions is an opinion, and I suggest you look at the three remaining US legacy carriers to give you some perspective of what scale of fleet and operations is viable. Your analogy is weak.

i def think there are lots of room for improvement in this simulator. However it is one of the best out there currently, and really.... sami is trying hard not to introduce something too fast since poor thought out implementation can break the world(as we have seen multiple times before).

Right, I'm not asking for this to be patched immediately, I'm making a point that time is valuable, and this facet of scheduling is something that takes too much time.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Bull s*** Sami should just make it much more easier to do transition.

I agree. It's been technically challenging with all the features and systems that are involved in the route creation/editing process, and that's why it's not available (yet?).

Offline pndsc

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
I guess if you were that annoyed with it you could code a script bot to simply do the needful - but I would think Sami wouldnt want a bot doing your stuff for you.

Offline Cammellodacorsa

• Members
    • http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Banner/170/343/
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »
I couldn't agree with those who consider this complexity part of the game.
Humanity always tent to simplify and automatize recurring operations. So, consider all the time wasted to schedule part of the game is like to decide that only people who have a lot of free time can play.

I prefer when Quality prevail on Quantity.
So, any method, idea, further selections, tutorial, and whatever can help doing repeating actions.

If I prepare a 7 day schedule with a small mistake I need to spend another hour to change all flights again.

I'm happy that Sami agree on that, and I really hope to have sooner or later a way to cut time dedicated to schedule or change schedule.

On the other side, adding some different views to airplanes screen and to reoute management screen is not that big effort, i think.
So, to start it could be good to have a way to create precise selection on routes or on planes, foir example "show all planes with leasing expiring in the next three month and with LF above 75%" If we could get these data with differend menu selection could be interesting.

Free to provide some help or ideas if asked!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.