Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A few questions from a newbie  (Read 604 times)

Offline Lakitel

• Members
A few questions from a newbie
« on: July 09, 2015, 05:49:13 AM »
 Hey all, I just joined AirwaySim a couple of weeks ago and I'm really loving the game. Unfortunately, I seem to be running into the same couple of roadblocks each time I open a new airline, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your advice/opinion.

So firstly, I sometimes have a scheduled route that doesn't perform very well (LF of around 30-40%), so I'm mostly losing money to run this route. The question here is, should I just cancel the route, or just continue to push down prices and maybe start some route marketing? (for example, right now, this low-performing route is at an RI of 27 and the LF is 38%). The main issue here is the plane is only flying two routes (All the scheduling will allow), and if I cancel the low-performing route, I won't be able to replace it, and I doubt that one route alone will make enough profit to cover the costs of operating the plane.

This actually leads quite well to my next question: If I feel that an airplane choice I made wasn't that good, can I cancel the lease? Because I haven't found anything that would allow me to. If not, can I sub-lease the aircraft? Or is this kind of arrangement not modeled in the game?

Finally, what kind of CI marketing do you guys feel is best for a starting airline? Right now I have Newspapers, Billboards and internet, is that too much? The problem is I really have no clue how each of these types of marketing effects the overall CI.

Anyway, I hope I've made my questions clear (I'm a bit tired :P), and I thank you all in advance for any advice! :D

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: A few questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
RI27%, LF38% is little small, but not really alarming. But try to aim first for easy LF : short route with 200 demand where you put one single 50-seater. Once it's full, put more 50-seaters(adapt numbers to your base choices). That's the thing to do for first flights, to be profitable quickly.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
When your RI is low, especially when first starting a route, you generally can only sell about 20-30% of the total demand of the route, no matter how many flights you pile on it. Looking at your GW3 airline, I see that you've basically filled demand with the 4 routes that you're flying, so that means you should expect your loads to be in the 30-40% range and then it will climb from there over the course of about a game year. When you start that way, it can take several to six months for your airline to become profitable, so hopefully you've got the cash to withstand that.  Another thing of note is that you have 2 planes across 2 fleet types - that introduces a good bit of overhead that you simply can't support with 2 planes flying and will keep you from making a profit sooner (if not at all).

Generally, when you're starting out, you'll want to look for routes that have little competition yet enough demand that you can fly 1-2x per day and stay under 50% of demand so you can pull yourself out of the starting hole faster. I.e. a 300 demand route with a single 737-700 should give you 80-90% loads within a game month or so.

For marketing, you'll just have to play with it. Keep in mind that CI changes slowly over time, so it takes time. I think Newspapers + Billboards + internet at a lower level is fine to start with, and you add more as you can afford to and/or need to. If you plan on purely a short haul operation, there's really not much need to go beyond a CI of 40 or 50.

As for airplane choice, you can't sublease the plane.

CPT is also a bit of a low demand and challenging base to start the big game world learning process.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
RI27%, LF38% is little small, but not really alarming. But try to aim first for easy LF : short route with 200 demand where you put one single 50-seater. Once it's full, put more 50-seaters(adapt numbers to your base choices). That's the thing to do for first flights, to be profitable quickly.

Thats what I originally wanted to do, but most of the lines are around the 20-40 range, and the ones that weren't already had their supply exceeding demand.

When your RI is low, especially when first starting a route, you generally can only sell about 20-30% of the total demand of the route, no matter how many flights you pile on it. Looking at your GW3 airline, I see that you've basically filled demand with the 4 routes that you're flying, so that means you should expect your loads to be in the 30-40% range and then it will climb from there over the course of about a game year. When you start that way, it can take several to six months for your airline to become profitable, so hopefully you've got the cash to withstand that.  Another thing of note is that you have 2 planes across 2 fleet types - that introduces a good bit of overhead that you simply can't support with 2 planes flying and will keep you from making a profit sooner (if not at all).

Generally, when you're starting out, you'll want to look for routes that have little competition yet enough demand that you can fly 1-2x per day and stay under 50% of demand so you can pull yourself out of the starting hole faster. I.e. a 300 demand route with a single 737-700 should give you 80-90% loads within a game month or so.

For marketing, you'll just have to play with it. Keep in mind that CI changes slowly over time, so it takes time. I think Newspapers + Billboards + internet at a lower level is fine to start with, and you add more as you can afford to and/or need to. If you plan on purely a short haul operation, there's really not much need to go beyond a CI of 40 or 50.

As for airplane choice, you can't sublease the plane.

CPT is also a bit of a low demand and challenging base to start the big game world learning process.

I think I see my issue. I assumed that since the demand was ~80 and my supply would be 120, that my LF would be around 60% or so, but it seems that was the wrong assumption. So LF only goes to the 70-90 range quickly when the demand exceeds supply, since 3 of my route's supply doesn't exceed demand and they are at that range already.

As for your comment about the different fleet types, I agree, but my hand was forced on that issue. As you said CPT has low demand (Which I didn't realized when I picked the airport), so basically all the other routes that had more than 100 pax were completely supplied, I barely found the few short routes that I did, so I had to start looking for mid-haul which means a different fleet group of planes. I think I may have made a mistake with choosing CPT :P. I usually go for CAI, since it's relatively easy, but the catch is everybody wants it, so it already had 2 airlines based there when I joined GW3. Since City-based demand hasn't been implemented yet, it means that mostly people go for the well known airports, and what that's list is exhausted, there's really not much else to pick from that can form a good profit.

All that being said though, I am making profit, so I'm fine absorbing a bit of loss if the LF will increase over time. Tbh, I only added that extra route to the plane because it's an int. long-haul and I didn't want to leave it with a big spot of empty space in the schedule, so I stuck the only short route that I could find.

I think my next step right now is going to do 2 things:

1) Get a couple 737-200 and try and aim for all the 30-50 pax flights that I can find, so I can bolster the profit of that type without too much additional cost.
2) Start looking at some intl. long haul, maybe around the 5k NM range.

Btw, when they say fleet group, doesn't it mean any variation within that number? So for example, are the 737-200 and the 737-700 part of the "737" fleet group? Or did I understand that wrong?

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »
Thats what I originally wanted to do, but most of the lines are around the 20-40 range, and the ones that weren't already had their supply exceeding demand.

I think I see my issue. I assumed that since the demand was ~80 and my supply would be 120, that my LF would be around 60% or so, but it seems that was the wrong assumption. So LF only goes to the 70-90 range quickly when the demand exceeds supply, since 3 of my route's supply doesn't exceed demand and they are at that range already.

As for your comment about the different fleet types, I agree, but my hand was forced on that issue. As you said CPT has low demand (Which I didn't realized when I picked the airport), so basically all the other routes that had more than 100 pax were completely supplied, I barely found the few short routes that I did, so I had to start looking for mid-haul which means a different fleet group of planes. I think I may have made a mistake with choosing CPT :P. I usually go for CAI, since it's relatively easy, but the catch is everybody wants it, so it already had 2 airlines based there when I joined GW3. Since City-based demand hasn't been implemented yet, it means that mostly people go for the well known airports, and what that's list is exhausted, there's really not much else to pick from that can form a good profit.

All that being said though, I am making profit, so I'm fine absorbing a bit of loss if the LF will increase over time. Tbh, I only added that extra route to the plane because it's an int. long-haul and I didn't want to leave it with a big spot of empty space in the schedule, so I stuck the only short route that I could find.

I think my next step right now is going to do 2 things:

1) Get a couple 737-200 and try and aim for all the 30-50 pax flights that I can find, so I can bolster the profit of that type without too much additional cost.
2) Start looking at some intl. long haul, maybe around the 5k NM range.

Btw, when they say fleet group, doesn't it mean any variation within that number? So for example, are the 737-200 and the 737-700 part of the "737" fleet group? Or did I understand that wrong?

0. No, your hand is not forced to pick two fleet types. It takes patience to find what you want.
1. If you dump 732's on 30-50 pax routes, especially in 2005, you will go bankrupt rather quickly.
2. If you have cash left in the bank, then this might work. CPT typically has all Y demand to a small handful of long haul places, but don't expect it to be easy going. Starting long haul with low RI and demand will give you even more losses.
3. 737's are 3 different groups. When you look at the aircraft's information page, you will see "Fleet group" where it says which group it is a member of. In short, the 737 has 3 groups - 100/200, 300/400/500 and 600/700/800/900. Wikipedia can help explain why if you're curious.

There are a number of good beginner bases out there that would be better for learning than CPT. I poked around a little and most of them are taken, but consider TAS, Pakistan or India as areas where there's usually a lighter dose of competition yet enough demand to have a good learning experience. Perhaps someone with more time than I can find you a suitable new base in GW3....

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:18:39 PM »
0. No, your hand is not forced to pick two fleet types. It takes patience to find what you want.
1. If you dump 732's on 30-50 pax routes, especially in 2005, you will go bankrupt rather quickly.
2. If you have cash left in the bank, then this might work. CPT typically has all Y demand to a small handful of long haul places, but don't expect it to be easy going. Starting long haul with low RI and demand will give you even more losses.
3. 737's are 3 different groups. When you look at the aircraft's information page, you will see "Fleet group" where it says which group it is a member of. In short, the 737 has 3 groups - 100/200, 300/400/500 and 600/700/800/900. Wikipedia can help explain why if you're curious.

There are a number of good beginner bases out there that would be better for learning than CPT. I poked around a little and most of them are taken, but consider TAS, Pakistan or India as areas where there's usually a lighter dose of competition yet enough demand to have a good learning experience. Perhaps someone with more time than I can find you a suitable new base in GW3....

0. You say that, but I literally spent about an hour that looking for any routes that would fit the flight characteristics of the 737-200 and there was nothing that was more than 50 pax or had a demand that was already fulfilled by the current supply, which forced me to move from short-haul flights to long-haul flights.
1. Well, then I am presented with a problem, since there are no routes that would fit the 737-200 otherwise. I could try filling it with high-quality seats to eat up the space, but my only other option is to pick another type of plane that fits the profile better, which would basically make the 737-200 a one plane fleet.
2. I do have about 22mil in the bank (And I can take up to 19mil in loans), so I have enough to lease 2 747-400s and make them fly the same route on odd&even routes, since the whole flight plan is roughly 26 hours. I'm hoping that I can absorb the losses until the routes become profitable.
3. Ah I see. So basically I am pretty screwed right now :P. It's a shame I can't sub-lease the plan, or break the lease somehow, since it isn't going to make much profit in the foreseeable future.

Alright, well I guess I'll try out the long-haul plan and see if maybe that works. If not, I'll aim for TAS,pakistan or India.

Btw, thanks a lot for your time and advice, I really appreciate it :D

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
Your airline is fairly new, you can always restart at a slightly more hospitable place.  I think you can restart like 3 times without being charged the initial start up credits.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.