Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Credit payments issue  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Terry P.

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Credit payments issue
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
As some of you may have heard, Greece has imposed capital controls restricting any and all online use of credit/debit cards. Also, paypal has stopped serving Greek users.

I'd like to know if there's an alternative way to pay for credits from Greece. Via mobile? Paysafe cards?
I currently have 8 credits, which should be good for another 8 weeks (even though capital controls are bound to stay here). But it's not possible to even join another game world as I will be left with 3 credits..

Offline Lakitel

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Credit payments issue
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
Hey Terry, I feel you (i'm half greek myself). Looking through their payment methods, it doesn't seem they do mobiles or paysafe cards. Basically, the only option you have when it comes to their payment methods is Bitcoins.

If you can find somebody in Greece who sells bitcoins you might be in luck. Alternatively, you could do a quick google search for websites that might sell bitcoins using mobile payments/paysafe.

Hopefully thought, the referendum today should somewhat alleviate the credit card issue over the next couple of weeks.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »
Probably just better hang on for a while and see how things go. They can't keep the banks and services closed for too long.

I have "loaned" a few credits to one other Greek user to avoid having his airline closed until these financials are resolved.

Offline George Bush

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
Can you buy bitcoin in Greece right now?

Offline Terry P.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:39 AM »
Thank you all for the answers.

Ross, I think you can only buy bitcoin in person here right now.
I will be patient and hopefully in 2-3 weeks the whole thing will be resolved and we'll get back to normal.
Pretty f***ed up when you can't pay online anymore, I really wish noone ever has to be in this position, especially if their business is associated with online sales/merchandise etc

edit: I may have found a way. Skrill allows deposits through greek banks to its Royal Bank of Scotland Greek account
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:50:41 AM by Terry P. »

Offline jotagrande

• Members

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
If something doesn't get resolved I'll donate some AWS credits to your cause. I'm sure Sami could work out an internal transfer.

And if it really gets bad I'm sure we, as a community, can donate credits to all our Greek members to at least keep them in their current game to the end! Gotta give you something to occupy your mind when such challenging life things are going on around you.

I'd help with that.

Jono

Offline Terry P.

• Members

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »
If something doesn't get resolved I'll donate some AWS credits to your cause. I'm sure Sami could work out an internal transfer.

And if it really gets bad I'm sure we, as a community, can donate credits to all our Greek members to at least keep them in their current game to the end! Gotta give you something to occupy your mind when such challenging life things are going on around you.

I'd help with that.

Jono

Oh the last thing we need right now is more debts  ;D.. Just kidding.
It's very nice of you to say that!
I hope we don't get to this point.
I deposited some money to my skrill account via wire transfer. The transfer seems to be completed from my side (bank confirmed it) so it's now a matter of skrill crediting it to my online wallet. Will it be possible to pay via skrill?

Solemus

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
Good luck Terry it must be awful over there at the moment. I think the EU is is just a big stupid con.
The UK spends around 40 mil a week just to be a member, that money could be used for so much in other ways
What a great idea Jotagrande, we should be able to help each other in certain situations like this

Rick

Offline mp81

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »
Keep an eye on foreign troublemakers in your country. You guys didnt vote the way the bankers wanted you to. Stay vigilant.

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:17 AM »
Oh the last thing we need right now is more debts  ;D.. Just kidding.
It's very nice of you to say that!
I hope we don't get to this point.
I deposited some money to my skrill account via wire transfer. The transfer seems to be completed from my side (bank confirmed it) so it's now a matter of skrill crediting it to my online wallet. Will it be possible to pay via skrill?

I don't know if you can pay with Skrill, it doesn't seem like it. I was going to say you can use paypal, but then I remembered that paypal is very finicky when it comes to charging accounts with money. But bitcoin is still an option, and while it would be a pain to have to go down and buy it in person, it seems like the most viable option.

Failing all that, I think we could all do something similar to what jotagrande said and maybe set up some "Greek Emergency Credit Fund" (I've been reading the news non-stop and I've picked up some jargon :P), that people could donate to.

Offline Terry P.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
I hope that in 7 weeks time (when I won't have any credits left) everything will be resolved!
Actually, paypal has made it clear that it won't accept top-ups from greece, whether that is via credit/debit card, online bank transfer or wire transfer. But greeks can still use paypal to send money and pay, if they already had balance before the capital controls.
Anyway, if skrill credits my money today I'm pretty much certain that I found a way to p*** on the ECB and the Bank of Greece and get my money out of here  ;D. I will just withdraw them into my Australian account! (I'm going to Australia in 7 months time for a master's degree)

Offline Air Azure [President and CEO]

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »
Whether you are bankrupt or not, I am very looking forward to visiting your beautiful country! Besides spending time on the tourist beaches, I love to drive to areas where no tourists are expected and get to know to your culture. All people I met were friendly, helpful and openminded.

Once you are through these tough times, you will be stronger than before, maybe not financially but you know :laugh:

Offline Terry P.

• Members

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
You're welcome anytime and I would be very happy to help you with directions and recommendations!

Offline Air Azure [President and CEO]

• Members

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
You're welcome anytime and I would be very happy to help you with directions and recommendations!
Thank you! 8) I will be there in August and visit the little island Zakynthos for one week. It's a pitty that not more islands are as big as rhodes or even crete. I really always look for places where you can escape the touristic centers and see the real parts of the country. Unfortunately I haven't been to the mainland yet which must be totally different again to the island way of life.

I wish you the best luck during the next few days when it turns out what actually happens now. Things do not look promising. :'(

Online ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
Oh, I remember our own "corralito"....

People started buying cars by transferring bank to bank, and stored them in hangars. That was the only way to secure your money at the time. Don't know how much it lasted, since I was around 14y/o. Total debacle.

Nevertheless we got out of that inferno and we are way better now (in spite of our government actions  >:().

Hold on tight, there's no way out but up now.

I remember an old joke of a phrase attributed to a former Argentinian president at the time, "we were at the verge of the abysm, and we stepped forward".

Offline Terry P.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
Thank you! 8) I will be there in August and visit the little island Zakynthos for one week. It's a pitty that not more islands are as big as rhodes or even crete. I really always look for places where you can escape the touristic centers and see the real parts of the country. Unfortunately I haven't been to the mainland yet which must be totally different again to the island way of life.

I wish you the best luck during the next few days when it turns out what actually happens now. Things do not look promising. :'(
There are so many islands in the aegean and ionian sea that you can always find one that's not so crowded. I don't really know if you're into nightlife or more of a nature-lover and quiet traveller but you might find Amorgos, Kalymnos, Patmos, Karpathos and really most of the Dodecanese islands very attractive. The only downside is that most of them don't have airports or their airports have short runways that can only accommodate regional flights (Dash 800). So, no charters. But you can still find great deals and all the privacy and quiet time you want. Actually I'm finishing my studies for a bachelor of business management in tourism now, so I could go on forever  ;D

Oh, I remember our own "corralito"....

People started buying cars by transferring bank to bank, and stored them in hangars. That was the only way to secure your money at the time. Don't know how much it lasted, since I was around 14y/o. Total debacle.

Nevertheless we got out of that inferno and we are way better now (in spite of our government actions  >:().

Hold on tight, there's no way out but up now.

I remember an old joke of a phrase attributed to a former Argentinian president at the time, "we were at the verge of the abysm, and we stepped forward".
It seems that there will be a solution here, hopefully. The USA, France and Italy are all pushing towards a viable solution. There are many geopolitical factors at play right now. I'm only hoping that the capital controls will go away soon so that I can get on with my life abroad

Offline Terry P.

• Members

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
So I'm back with an update: Functionality for credit/debit/prepaid cards seems to be partially restored for now and they can be used to pay outside of Greece, with the system only allowing payments for air tickets, car rental, hotels, travel agencies, medical reasons and tuition fees.
Hopefully in the upcoming days functionality will be fully restored and we won't have any problems

Offline Lakitel

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »
So I'm back with an update: Functionality for credit/debit/prepaid cards seems to be partially restored for now and they can be used to pay outside of Greece, with the system only allowing payments for air tickets, car rental, hotels, travel agencies, medical reasons and tuition fees.
Hopefully in the upcoming days functionality will be fully restored and we won't have any problems

Hey man, good luck. Hopefully capital controls will slowly be eased over the coming period.

Offline Terry P.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »
I have tried several times to make the payment.. No luck yet.. I'm left with 1 credit  ;D Sami, can we sign an MoU?  ;D

Online LotusAirways

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
Yes, like Greece...  8)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.