Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Question about fleet commonality  (Read 578 times)

Offline Cayhn

• Members
Question about fleet commonality
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »
Hello! Sorry for making a new thread about this, I would have added this to a "Quick questions" forum if possible.

I would just like to know for certain what counts as a new fleet.

So I've noticed that my beechcraft 99 and 1900 are grouped together, I assume they count as one then.

But what about Fokker 27 and 28? Would these count as two fleets?

I currently have Fokker 27  and 50 and Beechcraft 99 and 1900. Do I have two fleets or three fleets?

Thanks for the help!

Online elvis141

• Members
Re: Question about fleet commonality
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
You have 3 fleets!

Offline Cayhn

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »

Offline Teadaze

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
3 fleet, next time go to http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Aircraft/Fleet and you can see how many type of fleet you have

Offline Cayhn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
3 fleet, next time go to http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Aircraft/Fleet and you can see how many type of fleet you have

I did, but I didn't think it was 100% clear since it groups my Fokkers together (altough split them up within the Fokker-grouping). That was the thing that confused me.

EDIT: I now notice the "Number of aircraft in fleet" row and realise I was blind and stupid ;)

Offline knobbygb

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:08:15 AM »
Your "Aircraft Fleet" page is probably the easiest way to see your aircraft grouped into fleets.  Click on your airline name to get to the "Airline Information" page, then click on "Aircraft fleet".

Another good way to find aircraft common to the fleets you already have:-  From the main page for one of your own aircraft, there are three links at the top left - "Manufacturer", "Fleet group" and "Model".  Clicking "Fleet group" will list all the different aircraft types currently extant in the world which match the group (barring any that are yet to be made available of course).

Offline Helix

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
Hi! I did not want to create a new thread so I'll recycle this one.

From what I read around the forum the optimal amount of fleets to operate is 3 as the 4th fleet will add a significant cost penalty.
My question is, is the overall cost effect of having more than 3 fleets tied to the total amount of aircraft an airline has?

I am asking this because an airline in the game actively operates 9 fleet types. The total number of aircraft for the airline is 198, has 5 bases + HQ and is operating with a profit margin of over 18%. It used to be higher but fuel has doubled over the past 1,5 game years.

This seems to strongly contradict the things I've read around the forum.

Thanks.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
There are other effects. First, the more planes you have, the more painful the multiple fleet penalty. At 198 planes, it must be hurting, but it's not an absolute killer yet. But if he grows at 600 planes, he's going to have problems.

And if the company is very-well led, it can work anyways. Fleet types is just a parameter. 4th fleet type is like 2000NM travels with 70-seaters : dont do that before being an expert. When you begin to get good, and when you know what you do, then you can try to bypass some of the advice given in the forum. Don't overdo it, though(that SW3 flying 2000NM with a tech stop is definitively not a good idea. I just keep it because it's fun. But I'm losing money there).

Offline jjj

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
But what to do if no planes of our fleet are in market and we still want to expand rapidly...I have observed this with Boeing 777 in beginners world

Offline jjj

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
Addition of Airbus 380 almost killed me even in beginners world

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
An example: I once had a small regional airline that had about 800 planes. I started a fleet transition and my commonality costs went from 27m/month to something like 320m/month. My profits at the time were maybe 100m per month. This was going from 3 to 4 types.

But what to do if no planes of our fleet are in market and we still want to expand rapidly...I have observed this with Boeing 777 in beginners world

Either you are patient and work on procuring matching planes or you add more types to grow faster. The latter is the riskier move but can pay off if you do it well however, in many cases you're setting yourself up to faceplant (if you're over 3 types).
However, in beginners world, the overall game settings are set to be easy enough that you can probably sustain 5-6 fleet types for the course of the game (as the length of the scenario makes it impossible to accumulate enough planes to get owned)

Offline jjj

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
Ok.so that means I need to start practising only 3 fleets strategy

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.