Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Penalty for more than 3 fleet groups?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Cayhn

• Members
Penalty for more than 3 fleet groups?
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
Hi!

I'm new to this game but I am enjoying it immensely and I finally got an airline I feel I can play the entire game world with. But I have recently browsing around certain forum threads and discovered that people are referring to a penalty when there are more than 3 fleet groups in an airline.

How does this work? I'm currently focusing on getting profits up with only small aircrafts and I have 2 fleet groups, but the plan is to eventually expand into very large aircrafts and I'm a bit worried this might be difficult to do if there are penalties for flying too many groups. How do I deal with this? Should I just stay with my small aircrafts?

Thanks!

Online wildavidson

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Penalty for more than 3 fleet groups?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
There's no issue running lh and small planes but planning should be made in advance as the difference between opening 3 and 4 fleets can mean you are paying 3 or 4 times fleet commonality costs. To give an example in the current GW3, I am running 4 fleets and am paying about 4x the commonality costs of similar airlines in by alliances. In real terms Im overpaying around 100m a month which I can afford the additional costs as I still make good money but for smaller airlines the additional costs can be catastrophic. Best advise run max of 3 fleet types and if you have more, phase you least efficient out asap.

Offline Cayhn

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
There's no issue running lh and small planes but planning should be made in advance as the difference between opening 3 and 4 fleets can mean you are paying 3 or 4 times fleet commonality costs. To give an example in the current GW3, I am running 4 fleets and am paying about 4x the commonality costs of similar airlines in by alliances. In real terms Im overpaying around 100m a month which I can afford the additional costs as I still make good money but for smaller airlines the additional costs can be catastrophic. Best advise run max of 3 fleet types and if you have more, phase you least efficient out asap.

Thank you for the explanation! I will plan for this then.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
You shall avoid 4th fleet when you are very small, and when you are very big.

When you are very small, because each new fleet group is a pain to pay.
When you are very big because the communality costs reach insane levels.

Whatever happens, be sure not to have fleet groups with a very limited number of planes. In the same GW3, I was tempted to take a few YAK42, but there are only 6 available on the market, and they are not built anymore, and it would cost me too much. I did let the expansion opportunity pass. If there had been 20 of them on the market, I might have taken the risk. Instead, I'll wait for my Ejets to arrive, in 2 years.

In other words, if you go for one more fleet group, go massive. It's not worth it otherwise. And be sure to have at least 10% margin before playing with the devil. If you're weak at 3-5%, better improve your current fleet utilization than to go to another type.

Offline Cayhn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »
Thank you for the advice! Very interesting! Based on this I took the decision to phase out one of my fleets and only go with Beechcraft as the small fleet, that should give me sufficient room to expand in the direction I wish to expand.

Offline 11Air

• Members

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
I'd go a step further.  Your planned fleets need to be 2 types. (use the Fleet Commonality tab to see what you actually have).
2 types because you will need to migrate to new types in due course, which makes 3, at a time when you a re investing heavily in new planes and new routes for them.

There is a flaw in the game structure where Fleets per base should be the ruling effect as the Maintenance Staff numbers are required for each type they service at that base, and, of course, the number of engineers should change if you want three aircraft 'A' or 'B'd at the same time. 
A minor detail that the Sami Team are well aware of and no doubt have plans for one day.
The bonus of this is that might allow two quite different fleets to be operated from two different bases with obvious advantage for those starting small and expanding upwards, or being driven out by lack of slots!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.