Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Vote for the time frame of the next Game World #4  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Vote for the time frame of the next Game World #4
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
I would have to ask 'saetta' to calm down in his comments, thank you.

I have not said that the "winner" of the vote would automatically mean it being the choice since there are a whole heap of other things to be considered, and this poll has been done to collect the general interest between the decades. Since I never for example knew that "nobody" cared of the 1960s start. Game World #2 started from 1960 for example - meaning that the next will start in 1950s then instead since the 60s was not a popular choice.. I was not looking at the total scores for each potential starting year either, as the votes were for the unique combinations (voting 1950 to 2030 or 1950 to 2020 does not equal that they both want a 1950-2030 game).

The game world #4 will start in year 1970, like announced.

The planned short early days scenario is also supposed to be a cargo test game (IF everything goes as planned), but I am not supposed to tell this yet..ahem...

(and should actually setup a larger survey to ask of opinions on the favourite eras to start in, to play in etc. since I'd like to create some minor variations also to these longer games)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:13:52 PM by sami »

Online saetta

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
Can't get any calmer then not participating !!

Online saetta

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »
An immediate post World War 2 starting date would be interesting ( to me) . That is the era when civil aviation took hold, and all the surplus DC 3, DC 4, C 46 were quite important and necessary..as the DC 6 was sill a pipe dream. It would increase the difficulty level cus there would be one more fleet change to make thru the game and planning would have to be done gingerly. Adding some relatively unknown types like the Languedoc , SAI Marchetti, Super DC 3 would be fun too! 

Offline Jona L.

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
In reference to the latest news posted to the site, how long the next Game World #4 (starting June 13th) should be?

The planned short early days scenario is also supposed to be a cargo test game (IF everything goes as planned), but I am not supposed to tell this yet..ahem...

Why not make the game a dedicated test server again, if you want to live test the new feature? And also, why make the test game in an era where air cargo is even less used than passenger travel (in relation to now)?

An immediate post World War 2 starting date would be interesting ( to me) . That is the era when civil aviation took hold, and all the surplus DC 3, DC 4, C 46 were quite important and necessary..as the DC 6 was sill a pipe dream. It would increase the difficulty level cus there would be one more fleet change to make thru the game and planning would have to be done gingerly. Adding some relatively unknown types like the Languedoc , SAI Marchetti, Super DC 3 would be fun too! 

I am with seatta on this one, 1945-203X would be very interesting indeed.

I was not looking at the total scores for each potential starting year either, as the votes were for the unique combinations (voting 1950 to 2030 or 1950 to 2020 does not equal that they both want a 1950-2030 game).

To be fair, I voted for 1950-2020 as well, but changed my vote after realizing the lower options were -2030... maybe someone else also made that mistake, and not realize it?

Also, if you play to 2020, you can just as well continue another decade, or just drop out. No one is forced to play to the end, same as no one is forced to join on day one.
IMO the best option would be to offer the wide range, and let people use only the eras they are interested in.

The point of the end date of 2030 for me isn't so much about any futuristic planes coming after the current (real life) era, but rather the realistic option to actually move to 4th-gen jets. With the long games airlines tend to be larger by the time they reach the 2010s, thus needing a much larger number of those new planes to replace their current, old planes. That is barely possible even when maximizing the UM capacities (that pesky 3/week rule) through alliance support in ordering planes. Some issue about production rates being to inflexible, but that is for another time...

Maybe some of the people interested in the 1970 scenario never played from the 50s, and realize later -after trying it- that they may want to start 20yrs earlier. Maybe they just don't have an idea about the planes you can use, and just voted for what they are used to. -Just throwing that out there-

cheers,
Jona L.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:20:15 PM by [Remover of SkyConnect] Jona L. »

Offline Teadaze

• Members

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
Quote from: [Remover of SkyConnect

+1 on 194x era where you don't start your game with dc6 out the window.

Offline Alkibiades

• Members
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »

I totally agree with Saetta on this one. The period from 1946-1950 is very interresting. Naturally there will be some work to be done creating some new stats for the fantastic machines of the period (Its hard to find anything more beautiful than the SM 95 before the Connies). But 1946-2020/30 would be great - with or without cargo (just dont make this scenario into a dedicated test scenario)

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
It would increase the difficulty level cus there would be one more fleet change to make thru the game and planning would have to be done gingerly.

That would not make it more challenging, only more annoying. Fleet changes are yuck when you have more than 100 planes.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
That would not make it more challenging, only more annoying. Fleet changes are yuck when you have more than 100 planes.

in fact, if you're ready to bite the bullet, it makes the game easier : more of your opponents will bankrupt during fleet changes, leaving you more place to grow.

Offline MM21

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 03:55:27 AM »
As you can imagine i am not happy as well about it. But I see that Sami tried to satisfy as much customers as possible with that decision. Maybe the idea goes well, and maybe more players are happy this way. I am not, but I can only speak for myself.

In the end, Sami is a business man who tries both, satisfy the needs of his customers and maximising the income. He tried to find a way to do that and this is the result. If 70% of those who voted for a 50s start are happy and 100% of those who wanted the 70s start, it is way more than when just those are happy who voted for the 50s start. As simple as that.

If I am the businessman you mentioned above,
I would set another ultra long world to satisfy the strong demand of my customer rather than letting them keep complaining and damage my reputation if server resources permits.

Offline Luperco

• Members

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
I Agree with all the people complaining about the start on 1970.

Game #2 started on 1960 and yet we meet the prop era already at the declining state.

A game starting on 1950 would pose a completely different challenge.

Furthermore the majority of the players prefer to start on 1950.

Sami I know that your politic is "either that or there's the door". So I choose the door this time.
Saluti
Emanuele

Offline Kadachiman

• Members

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
It would not matter what game Sami decided to go with as there will always be players that disagree with his choice.
However most that complain will still play the game :-)

Offline Luperco

• Members
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
However most that complain will still play the game :-)

The game is not started yet, so how could you know if they will play or not?
Saluti
Emanuele

Offline Kadachiman

• Members

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
Because it is the same every time a new Game World starts...you can set your watch by its predictability

Same as the posts that will come within days of the game world start
- lack of suitable aircraft
- lack of slots
- production lines already full
- have to be logged on 24/7 to get the best aircraft
- etc

It is all predictable, it is always the same and players keep playing :-)

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
The game is not started yet, so how could you know if they will play or not?

Because he knows a little bit about human behaviour. A few will leave(but they'd have left anyways). Most will stay, and a few newbies will arrive. That's life.

Online saetta

• Members
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
The problem with the 70's start is very simple...Let the better appliance win! Airbus or Boeing.....Anything else is a one way ticket to BK.
While the 50's punishes bad planing or indecision, it also allows many more choices to either "outfox " the competition, or perish and restart wiser,  by the time u get to the appliance era, u are either gone or faltering, or better suited to finish well with the appliances.
About human behavior...there is some truth in what is said..yet in my case, I will wait till there is hopefully a 1945/6 start. Till then I will have a lot more time for other hobbies !!

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »
There are many more choices than Boeing or Airbus route, many just do not care to acknowledge it.

Some of the most interesting players and memorable games are from 'non follow the pack players'
- the madman that only uses Russian metal and flies them for 30+ years
- the equally mad man that only flew small aircraft out of Port Moresby PNG, and used a goat herder as his airline advisor
- Monica (who finished in the top players in the recently completed game world) who flew only MD's out of a level 5 USA base 4-5 game worlds back

Point being - that not all players want to play a 'dominate the world strategy' and are extremely happy playing out their own game challenge whatever it may be.

For me the challenge will be to fly 100-150 seaters out of a level 4 non-popular airport this time around and maybe move into a larger airport when/if a major player fails and I have consolidated...plenty of choices in the 80-200 seat range that do not have a Boeing or Airbus sticker attached

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »
The new price dynamic for brand new planes makes alternative choices more interesting. When an IL96M costs 120M and a 777-200ER with similar capability 160M, the choice is a no-brainer. When the prices are 83M vs 291M, as in current GW3, going for the outsider is suddenly more interesting. Plus there is the problem of availability. When 737-800 are impossible to get without 3 years of waiting, going TU204 gets seductive(it's basically a short-legged 757-200, for half the price). Even if if drinks more petrol.

Offline Wreck

• Members

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »
There are many more choices than Boeing or Airbus route, many just do not care to acknowledge it.

Some of the most interesting players and memorable games are from 'non follow the pack players'
- the madman that only uses Russian metal and flies them for 30+ years
- the equally mad man that only flew small aircraft out of Port Moresby PNG, and used a goat herder as his airline advisor
- Monica (who finished in the top players in the recently completed game world) who flew only MD's out of a level 5 USA base 4-5 game worlds back

Point being - that not all players want to play a 'dominate the world strategy' and are extremely happy playing out their own game challenge whatever it may be.

For me the challenge will be to fly 100-150 seaters out of a level 4 non-popular airport this time around and maybe move into a larger airport when/if a major player fails and I have consolidated...plenty of choices in the 80-200 seat range that do not have a Boeing or Airbus sticker attached

Having done the mad man thing a couple of times for fun, & because I choose to, I think that you are missing the point.

Those that are participating in the discussion, and those that voted, prefer the 1950s (or maybe 194x start).

End of...

Offline 11Air

• Members

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2015, 03:40:24 PM »
Ah well, nice to get to vote.  Even if the Sami team don't take too much notice!

Other games ending soon so hope one of those gets a 1946 start with plenty of converted non-pressurised aircraft available to lease/purchase at war surplus prices.

Many fighter aircraft were simply bulldozed into pits and burnt before burial. The later bombers were converted, some factory conversions, others with ex-servicemen returning to their upholstery trades. They did sterling service supplying Prague when the East Germany under Russian control cut off the supply routes.

Hope to get back to 1950, but only in the game please. I was 5yrs old then, and often hungry, even in the UK. Rationing was still in place then as the whole supply system, from the foreign farms, to shipping and UK transport systems were all in dis-repair.

Online saetta

• Members
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
Right on 11 air !!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.