Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How does competition work?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: How does competition work?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »
AWS follows the real world data - roughly - as it was created by the airlines.  Delta, being successful at creating a hub in Atlanta is replicated in the game, and ATL is the biggest airport by pax.

The next version, with passenger connections, nearby airports competing for pax, every Game World will be different, depending on where players create major hubs.

Also is it worth getting a second base city with the minimum of 5 planes?

No, you first want to max out the base you are at before opening the next one, unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise.

Offline tise1983

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »
I just read you can only open a base in your starting country?  And you cannot change your headquarters?  That's lame, so basically you want to start at a huge airport...

I just read your post, how many bases can you go up to? and you can max a base?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:42:12 AM by tise1983 »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
I just read you can only open a base in your starting country?

That is more or less true.  Exceptions are EU, some foreign territories of, say the US, France etc.

But it is possible to create very profitable airlines in secondary countries.

And you cannot change your headquarters?

You can declare bankruptcy and move to a different airport.  Since you only have 5 aircraft, you don't have that much time invested in your current airline.

I think you can BK 3 times before you get charged the start up fee again.  There is nothing wrong with bankrupting and starting over, especially if you are still learning the game.

That's lame, so basically you want to start at a huge airport...

Except, the chances are, you will be playing against up to 5-6 other players, and again, the chances are that 1 or 2 of them will be the top players in the game.

Outside of the top airports, in some countries (such as South Korea in your GW3 game), you may need to be concerned who else is in that country... 

I just read your post, how many bases can you go up to? and you can max a base?

I think you can go up to 10, but you will either be running into diminishing returns after 4-5 or you will hit the aircraft outside of HQ limit, if your bases are very big.

Offline George Bush

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
Plenty of folks would fly at 2AM for a discount....

Offline tise1983

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »
Thanks Jumbo, I'll try an make Korea work and remember for the next time :)

Offline tise1983

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
what determines your score on the "my airline" and statistics page?  mine is 1700 out of like 5000....what makes that number go up?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »
what determines your score on the "my airline" and statistics page?  mine is 1700 out of like 5000....what makes that number go up?

The score seems to be a composite of several categories from the statistics page. 

Which categories matter and to what extend?  No one really knows.  But from my observations, these matter the most:
- LF
- fleet utilization
- profit margin
- average aircraft age

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »
Everything matters, so a small company(that will be small on plenty of metrics, like fleet size or number of airports served) will always be low, even if very well run. Maybe some things more than others, but still.

It's always interesting for comparing 2 similar companies. But you can't compare companies operating in Heathrow & St-Mary's this way. If you go to the last pages of the "view & search airlines" screen, you'll find a lot of new companies with a few planes...and some with many. Those ones are in danger.

Far from perfect, but a very useful tool. In GW3, I've got a rival in Hamburg, with similar value, plane profile, bases profile... but my score is 3905 against his 3431. He's still in the green, but right now, I'm overperforming him(it was not always the case, by far, and its base opening in Hamburg did hurt me badly). Of course, I've got to still do a good job, and not f*** up my plane transitions, keep on growing, and seize opportunities in EDDH to stay ahead.

So, good indication. Be sure to look at what lies beyond, though. 10-Fairchild company in St-Marys in the orange is not a problem. 300-Airbus company in Heathrow & still in the orange has a big problem.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
Looking at GW3, I think in addition to the ones I mentioned:

- LF
- fleet utilization
- profit margin
- average aircraft age

Credit rating is a big part of the mix.  Virtually all airlines high on the list have AAA rating.  So the size of the airline alone may not matter that much, but a certain size and age of an airline is a pre-requisite for obtaining AAA rating.

Offline Bored

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »

Credit rating is a big part of the mix.  Virtually all airlines high on the list have AAA rating.  So the size of the airline alone may not matter that much, but a certain size and age of an airline is a pre-requisite for obtaining AAA rating.

Also CI needs to be higher than 85 (or there abouts) to get AAA credit rating.

Online LotusAirways

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Score
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Sami says:

- The score is calculated based on the basic statistics, and it includes the following values: Pre-tax profit, Operating revenue, Profit margin, Airline image, Transported pax (since start), Airline age, Credit rating, Fleet size, Fleet utilization, Fleet age, Fleet condition, Fuel burn per passenger, Route ASK, Route RPK, Route LF, Punctuality, Number of weekly flights, Number of airports served. These stats have been chosen since they represent a broad selection of all the possible stats, but leaving out some stats that are duplicates (like pax YTD / pax all-time) or could be easily manipulated in the short term (number of staff for example).

- The calculation method is simple. For each of the stats the maximum number of points achievable is the number of airlines. The airlines in position #1 get this amount of points, and the last airline(s) in that stats category will get 1 point. In case of shared rankings (e.g. 3 airlines in rank #1) the shared ranks receive the same points (e.g. first three max points, and fourth will have points equalling the fourth ranking).

- The system also calculates a maximum achievable score value which is simply all the scores of rank #1 combined factored by *0.95 (to make it a bit smaller).

Offline pdxpilot06

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »
The number of aircraft scheduled determines the number of employees.  The employees get hired once you schedule a route for the aircraft.  The more routes you are flying, the more employees get hired.

As far as the rate of increase of staff, there is some formula that lowers the requirement for the first couple of aircraft (to make it easier to start) but at some point, the full staffing kicks in.

Is there a way to tell what the minimum staff levels are when you first start an airline, other than starting one? When I started in BW #1 there were no pilots or cabin crew hired until I scheduled a route. But there were non- flight operations employees on the books and costing me money every month. If I knew the minimum staff needed from the outset I could go in with a plan to aquire aircraft quickly and start generating revenue.

Similarly is there a formula or rough estimate of how the required staff numbers will increase over time?
Global Express Airlines | Connecting People and Places
Dallas, Texas | United States of America

Offline Lakitel

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Is there a way to tell what the minimum staff levels are when you first start an airline, other than starting one? When I started in BW #1 there were no pilots or cabin crew hired until I scheduled a route. But there were non- flight operations employees on the books and costing me money every month. If I knew the minimum staff needed from the outset I could go in with a plan to aquire aircraft quickly and start generating revenue.

Similarly is there a formula or rough estimate of how the required staff numbers will increase over time?

To be quite honest, the starting staff is irrelevant, you should be leasing aircraft within the first few minutes of joining a GW. You can't really be an airline without any airplanes :P. I guess you could go in and manually remove the staff at the beginning, but I don't think it's worth it, you're better off leasing aircraft and flying routes to generate income.

As for the formula for staff, I'm not sure, but generally the pilots and cabin crew is written in the aircraft description, so that should help. You could also remove the auto-hiring the game does and micro-manage it yourself, but again, it's generally not worth it, you're better off managing your planes, routes and schedule, than micro-managing staff. You should also keep in mind that regardless of what the formula is, if you have less than 100% staff fulfillment, your airline will start to suffer, so again, it's better to just let the game auto-manage it, and focus on the rest of the stuff.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.