Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Right Aircraft for the Route?  (Read 570 times)

Offline JoelKraft

• Members
Right Aircraft for the Route?
« on: April 05, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »
I've read in the forum that a rule of thumb is not to fly more than the capacity x 10 in nm ?

For example i have a fleet of F28. I'm using them in domestic and international with distances up to 1200-1300 nm.
If you follow the example above it shouldn't be profitable more than 650 nm.

So is it a good idea to pick a larger aircraft (737, 319/320) even if the demand on the route is around 70-90 pax a day?

I've been trying to find information here in the forum but havn't found any.

So what would you fly with at a "longer" range but with a demand under 100 pax ?

Thanks!

Offline AppleBoss

• Members
Re: Right Aircraft for the Route?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »
It's more about Aircraft size, cost and speed. Beechcrafts with 15/17 passengers can do routes up to 350nm.

For fokker I would not go over 900 nm. The yield you will get from these long thin routes is not sufficient to be profitable and generate a margin to cover future expensation cost. You fun an airline a not a charity organisation.

Offline JoelKraft

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »
So what size would you go with at ranges over 900 nm and a demand at 80-90 pax a day?

Would it be more beneficial with a 737 than a f28, even if its more expensive (price and leasing costs etc) and a maximum loadfactor of maybe 65-75%?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Depends on what other routes you have .. if you have use for the 737 elsewhere, it can be used on those thin routes too (with a limit on sold seats perhaps too, to make sure it's not against the rules). But if you have no 150-200+ pax routes then a 737 is useless and too costly just to fly small routes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:20:53 PM by sami »

Offline JoelKraft

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
So the recommendation is not to fly thin routes at all?

Or is to have an aircraft with higher capacity ? For example Embraer E-Jet, Avro Rj?

Offline JoelKraft

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Maybe i should add that i have week profit between 1.0 -2.0 Million.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Very hard question to answer correctly as it entirely depends on what you intend to do to service all of your routes in a profitable way, and what type of operation you intend to run e.g. small regional carrier or long haul international carrier, etc.

Hints -

- use the minimum number of fleets that you can to service all routes as there is a financial penalty if you exceed 3 fleet types (this was Sami's comment as to what else you intend to do with the 737's)

- don't be tempted to service a route just because it is there....focus on profit per plane not on maximum route scheduling per base

- avoid narrow bodied aircraft if most of your destinations are international & avoid wide bodied aircraft if most of your destinations are domestic

Examples -

737-300/400/500 Range
It is a good fleet type to use on domestic routes as the seat numbers vary from 120 to 162 while staying with just the one fleet type

737-600/700/800/900 Range (note that it is a different fleet type than the earlier 737's)
Also a good fleet type to use on domestic routes as the seat numbers vary from 120 to 180 while staying with just the one fleet type

wheras the F28 only has one seat configuration as standard 65 seats which is why it is not popular

Personally I would not use jets under 70 seats as props tend to be more profitable in the small regional carrier space

Your question -

In your current situation I would look at Avro RJ / BAE146 jets as they are the one fleet type with 72 to 102 avialbale seats and 860Nm to 1360NM range, and then phase out your F28's when the leases expire, that way you have just the one fleet type covering your stated requirements
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:40:54 PM by Kadachiman »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.