» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Poll

There should be a notification system for new aircraft?

Yes, there should be email notifications.
9 (25.7%)
Maybe...
12 (34.3%)
No, I like pot luck.
14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: New Aircraft Availability  (Read 1307 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
New Aircraft Availability
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
I wanted to raise a question about the launch of new aircraft in AWS Game Worlds, taking the recent launch of the 767-200 into GW1.

Please don't read this as a bitter 'I didn't get in early enough' post but as someone who yes would have liked to get in earlier with the 767, but would like to encourage a debate about the issue (and please accept my apologies if its a duplicate!)

At present the launch date of new aircraft is randomised to within a year or so of the real world launch. I think this is a good feature, as it does add an element of chance to the timing of their release. However, when the new aircraft is launched those who get first access to the frames are those who are lucky enough to have accessed the Dashboard immediately after the launch.

My argument is that there should be a system for notifying users directly about the launch of a new aircraft by email:

• I always have my phone with me and when an email arrives will check usually within 5 minutes, I only manage to log in to AirwaySim once or twice a day (I don't use my iPhone because the layout is so poor on small displays), by which time a good 8 years of production slots have filled up.
  • The current system is open to groups of players (alliances with internal communications) monopolising a production list by all being informed through their own system of communication within minutes of a launch.
  • While I don't think it would be possible to accurately mirror the real world scenario, making the information more widely accessible by a direct email would level the playing field somewhat, as I for one, similar I suspect to many others, would log in and place an order.

I'm interested to know other peoples thoughts on this so please drop a vote and a reply if you've got ideas of your own.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
Re: New Aircraft Availability
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
The notifications could actually expand to also things like when you receive a new plane, when you receive some messages and so forth.  The delivery of these messages could be AWS PM, email or even SMS (but that'll cost you..).

I actually tried to ask for opinions about these a while back but didn't get reactions.

Offline Helix

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
As someone who is waiting 8 years for the 767:

I would not appreciate the feature of a push notification about new aircraft types. Yes, you will get a notification as soon as it is available to order but so will everyone else. The result will be roughly the same but more time compressed and to the disadvantage of everyone else who does not have the chance to log in right after the announcement.

The element of surprise stretches this process out a little bit and leaves it more to chance who gets in early and who not. Just think it's more fair.

Solemus

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
Maybe it is a good idea but I put forward for an idea for an update on the private messaging system so I don't know if you'll get this one off the ground, even if Sami has answered this time  8) ;) ::)

Rick

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
I'd like to +1 this - I think it's a good idea and I guess I didn't see it when Sami asked about it. 

There are so many options for configuring different types of messages and it should be relatively easy to implement.  I don't really see the need for an SMS option.  With the profusion of smartphones, an email (or a Skype or other IM message) is just as instant and accessible for most people. I guess people who'd really like an SMS could configure something theirselves by forwarding the email somehow.

I musy add that I was also a little surprised at just how quickly the 767 line filled up - even as a long-type user who's seen it all before.  I'm hopeing there may be some additional slots due to production increases.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
One easy implementation is creating a twitter feed of game world events. Would including them into the main Airwaysim Twitter feed make it too cluttered? ...bit depending on what events are posted? perhaps aircraft launches and major world events only?

Not that familiar with Twitter but that would be an easy solution, and usable by some definitely.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
One easy implementation is creating a twitter feed of game world events. Would including them into the main Airwaysim Twitter feed make it too cluttered? ...bit depending on what events are posted? perhaps aircraft launches and major world events only?

Not that familiar with Twitter but that would be an easy solution, and usable by some definitely.

The twitter feed idea would then work for those that are actually active on the twitter. I have an account but check it rarely - honestly, it'd be easier to check in game periodically than to fire up my dusty twitter.

Offline bdnascar3

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »
I really don't see the point, if your away from AWS, your away and unable to act. I would rather see a pre announcement notice maybe 1 rl day away so I can try to be at my computer when aircraft is released. As a side note this issue would be a little easier if there was a app that made using a phone better then what we currently have.

Offline AppleBoss

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:30 AM »
Or could events in AWS become a trigger event of IFTTT (If that then that) or zappier so that we can organise ourself with the notification we want. RSS feed of the various sort of events world be sufficient.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »
I am in the process of adding a module that will create a simplified 'news feed' of some selected events in the game worlds. This includes RSS feed and Twitter posts (I need the same code elsewhere so might as well do it right away here too).

So far I am planning to add a/c launch news and major world events (scale: global or continent).

Would news of the moment an a/c is certified be needed? How about availability of a/c upgrades or new engine variants? Pending closure of production lines?

The RSS might as well include everything possible but Twitter feed will contain only the major news, that's why I am asking a bit on what to include.

RSS feeds will be game world specific and Twitter feed will separate games by hashtag. The feed will be the same for everyone, so there won't be any personalized feeds with data on YOUR airline so all news will be generic from the Dashboard feeds.

edit: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,26356.msg335786.html#msg335786
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:25:18 PM by sami »

Offline apenfold

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
I think the Twitter feed is a fantastic option. I understand not everyone uses Twitter that extensively but its not hard to silence it for all but AWS notifications if you choose. I would definitely like to see aircraft launches in the Twitter feed!

Offline Frederik

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »
One reason that knowing of an aircraft launch is interesting is to cash in on the launch customer discount.

Could we have a procedure whereby all customers who place an order in the first RL 24 hours are entitled to the discount akin to what happens during the launch of a new game world. This would both be fair and avoid the frantic rush.
Swiss quality all over the world

Offline apenfold

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
One reason that knowing of an aircraft launch is interesting is to cash in on the launch customer discount.

Could we have a procedure whereby all customers who place an order in the first RL 24 hours are entitled to the discount akin to what happens during the launch of a new game world. This would both be fair and avoid the frantic rush.

Seconded

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
There are always going to be players that get in earlier than other players regardless of what system you implement so personally I do not see anything that changes.
Twitter, smart phone, etc users may get a possible one-up on skype users groups....but......it hasn't changed the fact that late comers will get later slots

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »
I would prefer something like the notification of a new airport in the game newsfeed.

Please don't make us need to use Twitter and all the other stuff....I'm trying to simplify my digital life...not add more ;)

In RW it's not like Boeing or Airbus surprises the market with a new design that's immediately available for release.  How hard would it be to announce a year out that Boeing is exploring new twin engine wide bodies at request of airlines?

Then a month out, Boeing plans to unveil its final 767 design on MM-DD-YYYY at the XYZ airshow.

As an aside, while human natures tend to direct us into need ing to have the same thing as others, those with will power often can come out just as well in AWS.  Personally I'm still kicking myself on a couple plane queues I jumped in b/c had I waited I could be having planes arrive now given all the recent bankrupts that opened tons of slots on 767s.

I also prefer the lottery effect of the launch customer discount for bragging rights  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:52:13 AM by spiff23 »

Offline Scott

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 06:03:23 PM »
I am finding the twitter feed really helpful,  I picked up on the a320 launch because of it and got in the first order, whoop!

One thing I noticed is that getting notifications from all the worlds does cause a few moments of confusion.  I was very excitied to see the A340 - 600 launched until I saw it was GW2 rather than GW1  :-[.  Could you have separate feeds for each gameworld?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.