Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Unused Slot Warning...INVISIBLE SLOT  (Read 669 times)

Offline Obi-Gun Smokenobi

• Members
Unused Slot Warning...INVISIBLE SLOT
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
I continuously get an unused slot warning for destination SCE @ 0835.  Unfortunately, it doesn't say from which of my three bases the alleged unused slot exists.  I've ensured I have no slots without aircraft assigned, yet...I continue to receive the message.  If there are no hidden penalties assessed against my airline if the system removes an "alleged" unused slot, no harm.  But, if there is, when the warning period expires (couple of weeks, I believe), I don't want to be penalized for an unused slot that just doesn't exist (at least not that I've found).  Anyone experience this?

Offline Cardinal

• Members
Re: Unused Slot Warning...INVISIBLE SLOT
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:32 AM »
You don't get penalized for it.

And an unused slot at a destination is not tied to any of your bases. It doesn't matter what route it used to be attached to. As long as you still own the slot, you can use it to open a route from any of your bases before it expires.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:50 AM »
howdy, tvdan'. 

the "slot coordinator" already removed those seven phantom slots.  no matter how thoroughly I searched, i couldn't find those buggers.  any ideas where they could've been hiding?  and, why was there was no originating airport associated with it?  thanks!  (screenshot attached...I hope...)

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:33 AM »
ah! figured it out, tvdan'. 

it was originally bos-sce departing at 0600 with a return dep. time from sce of 0835.  i needed to reduce sce to once daily and bos-mdt fit perfectly with the same 0600 dep and 0835 return from mdt.  i remember i specified the cancel the route/keep slots option.  i didn't incur any additional slot charges when i slid mdt into that bos 0600 slot, but since i DID KEEP ALL SLOTS, i still had the 0835 slot from sce--slots that weren't needed.  (i was charged $50/slot for the 0835 from mdt.) 

it makes perfect sense.  as long as there are no penalties when the slot coordinator removes unused slots, no problem.  however, I'd prefer not to hold onto slots I'm not using.  any idea how i can free up those destination return slots, if i need to make another airport swap, as above, in the future? 

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:11:04 AM »
no matter how thoroughly I searched, i couldn't find those buggers.  any ideas where they could've been hiding?  and, why was there was no originating airport associated with it?  thanks!  (screenshot attached...I hope...)

The slot was in SCE. If you did not have any routes that you created but didn't schedule, then the only way to end up with an unused slot is to close a route and un-check the "release slots" box when closing a single route, or by selecting multiple routes in the Manage Routes page and choosing "Close routes and keep slots". The second option is very easy to do accidentally, considering it's a drop-down menu and "Close routes" is immediately above "Close routes and keep slots". I accidentally click on the wrong one frequently, although I usually catch it when the confirmation box pops up.

Once you close a route but keep the slots, those slots are available to you for a new route. It doesn't matter what base you formerly had a route from, the connection is broken when you close the route. If this is the case, then you probably opened a new route from your base to someplace other than SCE using the existing slots and that's why you didn't get a nastygram about those slots at your base. But that SCE slot was still sitting there unused. You could have used it to open a route from any of your bases.

What also may have happened is that you had a route from (hypothetically) DCA-SCE, but needed to reschedule it or move it to a new plane type, closed the original route but kept the slots, then rescheduled the flight on the new plane. But the new plane is either faster or slower, or has a different minimum turn time, and while the departure time was the same at DCA, the departure time at SCE fell in a different clock hour. Even a 5 minute difference can cause this if the old time is 12:00 and the new time is 11:55. Because the old slot was for the 12:00 hour, the system purchased a new slot for the 11:00 hour and left the 12:00 slot alone. Again, this is just hypothetical but it is frequently the cause of phantom slots at outstations.

The quickest way to find if you have unscheduled routes is to go to the Manage Routes page and click on "Notification View". There is no quick way to find if you have unused slots at a destination. At your base, on the slot page if you see an asterisk anywhere, you have an unused slot there.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:10 AM »
any idea how i can free up those destination return slots, if i need to make another airport swap, as above, in the future?

It's all or nothing. You either keep the slots at both ends when you close a route, or you release the slots at both ends. There is no option to keep just the ones you want. For an airport like SCE, I wouldn't worry about sitting on slots while they time out, you're not really preventing anyone else from flying there.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:46 AM »
thanks, tvdan'.  your response covered the cause i had just realized shortly before your response.  sorry to have troubled ya, but do appreciate your thorough explanation.   8)

Online spiff23

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
You can also go to the airport page for SCE or whatever one and click on the airport slots.   You will see a * in the time period that you are holding slots.

as already noted, you should not get a penalty for sitting on a set of slots, even at slot restricted airports as a result of changing schedules.  The penalty, as I understand it, is to prevent you from hoarding slots at places like LHR, TOK by scheduling phantom routes with not enough planes.

SAMI, if you happen to stop by this one, maybe a feature request for your long list, would be ability to turn off unused slot notification.   The peak time for annoyance/filling message inbox is the 1960s-1970s when you switch from props to jets as you usually need to preserve one of the slots say xxx-LHR, but you are adjusting the xxx time to hit the the LHR time. it fills your inbox if you are just upgrading planes and not really expanding.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:24:20 AM »
thanks, spiff'.  now that I know what caused it, with no ill-effects, i'll prolly save some money and cancel/keep (since I'm looking to keep the originating time slots) and just let former destination slots drop off.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.