Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Hard lessons  (Read 529 times)

Offline saetta

• Members
Hard lessons
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
After being involved in a few long game scenarios...for all it's worth here are some things that I learned.
1. The Martin 404 is a great start up craft. Much better then the CV 240/440, due to it's range.
2. The F27 is a "golden" machine..managed properly it will make a lot of money and establish your airline.
3. The DC 6 is a scorpion ( for me) ...looks  very good on paper, but will sting you constantly ! Avoid if you can (difficult to do if you expand)
4. The controversial BAC is also a "golden" machine (s) . If managed properly it will propel (no pun intended) into the big leagues.
5. Don't obsess too much with the 3 fleet rule, it's a very good rule but sometimes you will have to break it. I have been up to 5 and survived.
6. Buy as many planes as you can afford as quickly as you can. It makes for a much easier operation as you can dispose of them one way or another anytime you want.
7. When you sell them be careful that they don't fall in your competitors hands, cus they can and will be used against you...I tend to use them 2 or 3 cycles and scrap them.
8. Last but not least expand to many more bases then 1  (if you can), and try to find bases in which you are the sole operator AND guard them from then on.

These are things that I have learned the hard way that might help if someone will start the next long term scenario.
I am sure some of the well established guys will take most of these ideas apart to prove their knowledge. All I can say is they have worked for me so far.
Cheers

Offline Troxartas86

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Hard lessons
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
Honestly, I believe that there are very few if any aircraft that can't be used effectively. Most of the time I have either gone all-Soviet or all tiny turboprop with my airlines just to prove a point. This time around I am flying a lot of tiny Soviet turboprops (the An-28) as a big portion of my fleet. Everything has trade-offs, pros and cons. I've actually inspired several airlines to fly the Il-96 and they are making big bucks with it.

In short, if you know what you are doing and plan effectively, you can do well with practically anything as far as aircraft are concerned. That's my experience as AWS's unofficial eastern bloc champion.

Offline CarlBagot

• Members
Re: Hard lessons
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
the Il-86 being one of the few with almost zero applications due to that range and when it comes out  :-\. In domestic usage it will usually be over capacity or get frequency bombed  :-\ .

Although tbh this game is about fit and trade offs. If you go western you better have lots of money already in the bank or you will be leasing and between leasing western and buying soviet it can be a wash or close enough depending on fuel costs. But if you can afford to own, not lease,  either western or soviet(using large order discount and 100% upfront payments if possible) then Western types are clearly better. Another difference being in general keeping soviet aircrafts for a long time can sometimes not be viable due to maintenance costs while for western types it still works very well comparatively.

Almost  the same could be said of popular/unpopular air-frames as while they may be justifiably unpopular the cost band availability delta can often times tip the scales, see MD-11 vs A330 or B767 the latter two of which can easily cost more then a 747.....think about that. The same thing repeats itself latter where 773ER, A350 and even 787 cost more then A380 or B748 in GW3. So in those circumstances if you can fill the MD-11 or latter the B748 or A380 then it would not only cost less but also be more fuel efficient (pax/kg of fuel) in some cases for the latter two.

For smaller types.... If you had very short range flights with medium demand you could of gone for the Dassault Mercure at only 820NM (GW2, was lower in GW4)max range but was very cheap and fuel efficient. And the DC-9 is somewhat better on GW2 than the 1-11 if you were late to the game to the 1-11 or needed to do later follow up orders as it is both cheaper and available, with the tu-134 not being a terrible alternative due to very low capital costs (1/3 of DC-9 and 1/5 of 1-11 when no one orders it).

At start up you could of gobbled cheap C46's, Il14P's , B170's or DC3's and made a killing (chose only one :P ). They only real advantage of the longer range aircrafts is for slots and if there was no competition.

Overall,
1. Dont expand too fast or in congested markets,
2. Stick to low amounts of fleet types, especially early
3. review default prices often
4. Have good scheduling (especially 7 days)
5. Have fleet types which make sense for your location, no need for 747-100 in 100 pax long range markets or 772LR in continental markets (extreme examples) but also no need for having 737-800, A321 and 757-200 in same airline in this game, even if it might work out IRL.
6. Own instead of Lease if you can afford it. Even if soviet  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:36:31 PM by CarlBagot »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.