Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Route demand not realistic.  (Read 504 times)

Offline ajalil

• Members
Route demand not realistic.
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
Hey everone!

I've only been playing for a little more then a week, but I have noticed that route demands in game are nowhere near the real world. I am guessing most of players base their airline in home country because they know their geography etc.

I live in Oslo, but since there were two airlines based there already, I based mine in SVG which is a fairly large city in Norway. Routes domestically in Norway are not accurate, because to destinations like OSL, TRD etc, there are several flights an hour operated by SAS and Norwegian Air Shuttle, while in game there is only enough demand for 1 flight, or maybe 2 a day.

Similarly, there is no demand for tourist traffic, where in real life flights to Malaga, Alicante etc are full from Norway. How realistic is the traffic patterns to real life? Or is it just randomly based on size of airport/city.

I would request game developers to gather some statistics from players, or look at real airport time tables to see the demand. I mean if 8 flights are operating form OSL to London each day with Airbus 319 / B737, there must be a little more demand then 300 pax per day...

I would also like to play a game where real life airlines are already operational, with their route maps etc, and we can try to start our own airline to try to establish ourselves, because that would have been challenging to see if you can start an airline in the current world picture..

Regards,

ajalil
Regards,

Ajalil

Offline Adam42185

• Members
Re: Route demand not realistic.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
Was the demand in 1976 just as high?  Demand between cities is not static in game, and it will increase over time as general air travel demand has also increased over time.  My airline is based in Boston and demand seems low, but that's partly because I see what the real world looks like in 2014 vs 1976

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
Why do you open many threads of the same topic, I think you just posted this earlier? And in that post you actually said that route demand figures for domestic routes in Norway are realistic, but now they are "nowhere near the real world".. eh?   ???

Anyway, short answer quoted from elsewhere:

Passenger demand is not fictitious really (depending on what area of the world we look). There is a whole heap of data on real routes in the background (from actual point to point traffic stats, whole US for example), but again modelling all millions of route pairs is impossible for the whole world and entire history, and that's not even what has been attempted. But just saying, it's not just some random numbers passed through .. (but have to note that for game play purposes for example the general overall demand is rather much higher than in the real life; and have to note also that since there are like 10 million possible route combinations it's not really necessary to start looking differences in single routes vs. real life)

So we do not even intend to try to mimic every real airline route there is because that is impossible, if you think about it for a while.

And also have to point out that number of flights is not the same as demand. So saying there are five 737s flying daily does not mean that there's the demand of a five 737s on that route. So any timetable scans or such are not that useful.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:30:53 PM by sami »

Offline ajalil

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
I'm sorry Sami,

I was looking for very long but I could not find my previous thread. So I thought since I was working on my Tablet, and this was the last thing I did before I left, maybe I forgot to post it so I wrote the whole ting again.

On the other hand, Adam42185 Game World 2 is based in 2006 at the moment, then why are traffic patterns from 1976 as you say?

Also further to your comment Sami, I ment that routes patterns are realistic in Norway, when I compare the cities. In real life we have 2 flights from OSL to BDU, while we have 20 flights from OSL to TRD, likewize in game, the demand to BDU is 5% of what is for TRD. So this way you have worked wel in creating demand. But what I meant with no-where near real life, was that general figures are very low...

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Regards,

Ajalil

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
You are actually a member of Beginner's World #2, not the main Game World #2.

The BW is in year 2007, and also it has a generally about 50% lower overall pax demand compared to what the "normal" calculation gives, due to the limited play time and player numbers (rising steadily over time). So the figures cannot be compared to year 2014 of real life.  [and it isn't intended either like I mentioned]

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.