Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Need help with "This aircraft may be too small"  (Read 594 times)

Offline dinamo5

• Members
Need help with "This aircraft may be too small"
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
Hi, maybe this is a pretty "noobish" question, but i can't understand how this works.

My scenario is:
Im based at Port Moresby (AYPY) and i choose the Boeing 737 300/400/500 series for my international flights. Im currently planning a route to Fuaʻamotu (NFTF), wich is a 2283 nm route. Both the 737-300 and -500 has a range of 2700nm, but when im selecting the aircraft in "open route" it says two things.
1. 737-300 has limited pax on this route (101 pax). (I know that pax can be limited but didn't thought it would be so drastic on a -300 with over 500 nm under it's range)
2. "This aircraft type may be too small for this route."

So my question is:
1. Why would the 737-300 be limited to 101 pax, even though the route is clearly under the range of 2700 nm?
2. How can aircrafts in the sice-class "Large" be to small for this route?
3. What are the effects if i ignore the warning that the aircraft is too small and open this route with the 737-500(Without pax penalty)?

Im thankful for answers.

Offline Sanabas

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Need help with "This aircraft may be too small"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »
1: Runway's too short? You got some 733s that don't have the maximum range? If the runway is long enough, and if the plane you put the route on is one with 2700 range, then you won't have pax restrictions, despite what the route creation screen might say.

2: Because it's not just based on size class, it's based on distance, on demand, and on the fleet's average plane size. A 733 might get a too small warning on a route that a 757 or a 738 doesn't. A 737 might be fine on a route where a 717 (also a 'large' plane) gets a warning. A 737 might be ok for a 2000NM route with 80 daily demand, but flagged as too small on a 1900 NM route with 300 daily demand. It's a mechanism that works ok for bigger routes, but isn't so great for longer/skinnier ones.

3: Shouldn't be a big issue if there's no competition. If there's competition from a plane that doesn't have that warning, it'll get more than its fair share of pax.

Offline 11Air

• Members
Re: Need help with "This aircraft may be too small"
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
I guess the previous post has covered the basics, you are probably runway limited, but do look at the range graph too, that will help you decide how many seats that aircraft can take on that route.
Then have a look at the potential First and Business Class traffic and configure your planes seating to meet that demand first, then add enough Tourist Class to meet the total demand.  The standard seating is OK, but for long range traffic the Lux Seating will be appreciated by slightly better prices, though it doesn't suit most routes unless, as you are on this route, capacity limited by range.
Those premium classes pay well once the demand is there, you may only get 2 Business seats in the space of 3 Tourist but the pay rate is double, and double again for First.
By reducing the seat numbers there is much better passenger satisfaction, and a bit of airline public rating, which increases seat prices significantly.  Having a few spares seats is best, it makes possible competitors choose less contested routes for one, but you will get best earnings by providing 80-90pc seat to demand ratio if you have the route to yourself.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.