I think my airline is dying a slow death...

Started by jakeegan18, September 04, 2014, 03:46:03 AM

jakeegan18

I could use some help or advice... I'm not sure what has happened but last game year I cleared $162m and this current game year I'm -$39m and struggling with serious cash flow issues. I'm not sure what to post here for you all to offer advice but I'm all ears...

I'm an all Boeing shop (737NG's/757's/767's/777's), I've paid close attention to keeping my engine's common. I've tried to keep costs down (ie marketing, etc.)

I'm at a loss, I don't want to give up as I'm really enjoying my game this time around as I've learned some hard lessons from previous games. I am in some heavy competition with some larger more profitable airlines but I seem to be winning the percentage game (LF airline wide: 80.5/88/67.9). I have a 71 CI and near 90% on time rate.

Thanks for any and all help I can get!

Joshua
CEO, Emerald Overseas

Curse

jakeegan18

I had one 767-200 last year and the others were purchased this current year. Are you thinking I "killed" myself with adding a fourth fleet group?

Kadachiman

The 4th fleet penalty is a sure way to bankrupt in most cases, some players can get away with it but they tend to be experienced players and/or players based at licence to print money bases.

I can not see your airline but Curse has probably identified your problem and the time frame seems to match with what you are saying.

You are in a beginners game so my advice is - don't give up as trying to recover from a bad situation can teach you a lot more lessons so keep going.
Look at the option of parking up 1 fleet type with no routes on it if possible and take note of your Commonality difference.

PS - engine commonality across a fleet is close to irrelevant so don''t worry to much about that aspect in future

jakeegan18

ok, I'll work on phasing out my 6 767's and see if that makes a difference. Hopefully I can make it before I get bankruptcy notices. Thanks!

jakeegan18

Thanks for the help but I think I have to abandon as I have no money to correct the issues and I won't be making any money until I attempt to fix the problems. I don't know what to do to fix besides cutting salaries, closing my second base, and dumping a/c. Its really frustrating because I was actually have fun playing this sim for once. :(

Kadachiman

Park up the fleet that is causing the biggest losses may be an option
Yes you will still have to pay lease payments etc until the lease terms are up (if you have no cash to cancel)....but it maybe your only option left
It is still all good learning if you try to survive

If you want to request a mentor I can have a look for you....I will go register now

jakeegan18

I have requested a mentor, I'd welcome another look at my airline  :)... I started parking but then I raised all me fees back to default and took the load factor hits.

Sanabas

Picked up the request, will have a look tonight. 4th fleet isn't the problem, you're not big enough for that to be more than a minor issue. It is costing you a couple of mill a week, and I'll get you to test exactly how much later. At first glance, looks like it was simple lack of revenue because you'd allowed ticket prices to drop too far, and resetting them to default has put you back into being profitable. There's also a major, quite simple issue with your scheduling impacting your profits. I'll take a proper look and send you a message tonight.

jakeegan18

Thanks! I look forward to learning, I really do enjoy this sim :)

Kadachiman

Hard to go past Sanabas as a Mentor, you have hit gold.
Sanabas and Curse were my mentors

Yola

I don't know what's going on these MX checks are killing me, i took out a loan and its almost depleted HELP!!!

Kadachiman

You have 79 planes but 14 fleet types and about to get your 15th fleet type.
Commonality costs is killing you not your maintenance checks.
The ideal maximum number of fleet types is 3, so you are paying huge penalties....take a look at your commonality costs.

It is a common mistake with many new players as they are keen to expand quickly but that then leaves you open to a competitor coming in and taking all your profits......in your case the competitor is me....Paper Plane Airlines

If you take a look at my airline I have only 1 fleet type being A340, mainly because I wanted to try a scenario using big planes only so I set up an airline in Beginners World.
The strategy nearly sent me b/k initially as it took a long time to get those big planes with high enough LF's to turn a profit.

Even if I quit now I do not think you would survive as you need to get those fleet numbers down and I doubt that you have the cash flow to pay out leases, etc
There needs to be an option in this game for a player to 'gift' his airline to another player .....applicable only to Beginners Worlds.

Unfortunately I think you are doomed

Carnacalla

I managed to fall into a deep 45mil debt while managing my airline, but i made my way back and had got to a debt of only 3mil, when the game ended. Furious was not adequate to describe what I felt.