Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Question about route share %  (Read 784 times)

Offline Marksw76

• Members
Question about route share %
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Hey guys and girls

Quick question for some of you experienced players about route share.

I have a competitor whose airline is only five months old, has a CI that is a lot less than mine (and less than another airline operating the same route) yet in the space of a few months this player has already successfully taken the majority share of the route.

How is this so?

All flights from mine and the two other airlines are daytime flights and whilst I operate a larger aircraft on the same route my other competitor airline is operating the same plane as this younger airline.

This isn't a moan by the way but I am curious how this guy has taken market share so quickly with such a low CI?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:31:58 PM by Marksw76 »

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
Re: Question about route share %
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
1. do you have all of your flights between the hours of 5am to 11pm?
It appears that you do if you fly daylight hours only

2. Are you using High Density seating compared to his Standard or better?

3. He may have heavy marketing on that route

4. Most likely - he has a substantial discount applied on the route

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
1. do you have all of your flights between the hours of 5am to 11pm?
It appears that you do if you fly daylight hours only
Yes

2. Are you using High Density seating compared to his Standard or better?
I'm using Standard seating

3. He may have heavy marketing on that route
possibility not sure if he has or not

4. Most likely - he has a substantial discount applied on the route
Never thought of this, does price make that much of a difference?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »
No, price wars in AWS don't work. A rule of thumb from endless experiences is: It will hurt your airline massively and the other one just a little bit.

Offline tymm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
I think I have a similar problem on routes where I have new competition.  I'm not loosing market share, but I can't seem to gain any either. :-\  I've added frequencies on routes with 100% route image, but 50-50 market share hasn't budged.  I've now split the same number of passengers across two flights, and my competitor is probably doing just fine with his one flight.

Does route marketing affect customers even after it's 100% route image?  Can I add a campaign?  I have competition on a lot of routes I used to have to myself.  If I can't add frequencies to compete, and if Curse says price doesn't really make a difference, I'm really at a loss for how to compete.

Online schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
Route marking does nothing once RI=100.

Trouble with the percentage of market share is that it doesn't account for planes being out for maint, have 2-3 weeks of trailing data in them, etc. So, at any given time, they could be off by a good bit in either direction.

Price _does_ make a difference to your loads, so you can certainly increase your passengers carried a the expense of your profit (as you're generally more profitable when not discounting).

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
No, price wars in AWS don't work. A rule of thumb from endless experiences is: It will hurt your airline massively and the other one just a little bit.

The only time they can work is when they are forbidden : a new company did settle at one of your airport, and you crush all its lines with insanely low prices. But it's forbidden. Don't.

As soon as a company is in working shape, you can't kill it with a price wars - and therefore it's useless. As soon as it is allowed.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.