Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Are stopovers ok?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Marksw76

• Members
Are stopovers ok?
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Hey all, I'm starting to consider options for a bit of long haul action. I'm pretty green when it comes to very big birds, I tend to be more comfortable in 737 territory.

Question is, there are a few options that will require a stop over if I do a short term long haul operation. Been eyeing up a couple of 'El ten elevens' but they don't have the range I want, so have to stop for some more juice.

How does this go down with passengers? is it a no no? Does it make the route too expensive?

My ideas are bigger than the technology available, i would like some 747s, but Boeing need to get the lads on overtime....

This idea is short term, as I know when the bigger fleets start getting the larger range 747s then my little L1011 is going to Mojave....

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Are stopovers ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
Since a very bad change some month ago techstops are crippled.

If you have extremely large routes (>500 pax per day), at best without competition, I'd say go for it.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:07 PM »
Techstopping BAC 111's is going to be a pretty bad idea. They're too small to generate enough revenue to make the trip worthwhile. If anything, I would suggest letting them fly seat restricted - the 500's should be able to do 1700-1800nm, and the 475's might give you a little bit more space...

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
Cheers fellas.

Yeah, no plans to tech stop my BACs I was thinking maybe an L1011, DC or something.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
IMO
Early in the Game World with Props tech stops may be OK (debatable) but once Jets come onto the market that can cover the distance without a tech stop then the practice should be abandoned as sooner or later a competitor will cover the same route without a tech stop and your LF will plummet to non-viable.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
For longer haul stuff, as Curse said, if you've got over 500 pax per day of demand, then you can probably techstop a DC10 or L1011 if you have no other competition and made OK money. Just keep in mind that revenue does not scale linearly with distance while variable costs do, thus, a 4000nm flight will generally be more profitable than a 6000nm flight will be...

IMO
Early in the Game World with Props tech stops may be OK (debatable) but once Jets come onto the market that can cover the distance without a tech stop then the practice should be abandoned as sooner or later a competitor will cover the same route without a tech stop and your LF will plummet to non-viable.

Even switching from a techstopped prop to jet is ill-advised. Observations are documented in my bug report from 362 days ago: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,48584.0.html

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »
I do fine tech-stopping thirsty Tu-134s from Ukraine to Taskhent, it's actually my most lucrative route. Hasn't worked on any other destinations I've experimented with though.

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
So what NM is 'extra long haul' classed as?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.