» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Poll

What is the best short-range turbo-prop on the market?

Antonov An-140
7 (7%)
ATR 42-500
6 (6%)
ATR 72-500
22 (22%)
Dash 8-Q400
36 (36%)
Saab 2000
24 (24%)
BAe ATP
5 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: market survey for turbo-props. Please vote!  (Read 2214 times)

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
Re: market survey for turbo-props. Please vote!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
On a fuel burn per seat per nm basis, the BAe ATP is the most fuel efficient aircraft in the game and would be my vote.

Is it though? According to my calculations the Q400 is actually much more efficient.  The BAe ATP has 68 seats in the HD config but the Q400 seats 68 with standard seating and 78 with HD.  If you fit both with HD, the Q400 comes out on top by a good margin.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
Is it though? According to my calculations the Q400 is actually much more efficient.  The BAe ATP has 68 seats in the HD config but the Q400 seats 68 with standard seating and 78 with HD.  If you fit both with HD, the Q400 comes out on top by a good margin.

Actually you're sorta right.  I say sorta because it isn't a good margin but it is a margin.  The ATP is the most fuel efficient based on default seating (you can't really outfit a 777 with HD to compare so using default seating is best method).  At 68 seats the ATP burns 28.7 kg/pax per 1000nm and at 68 seats the Dash-8 burns 32.2 kg/pax per 1000nm.  If you increase the 68 to 78 it goes to 28.0 kg/pax per 1000nm, so the Dash-8 is better by 0.7 kg/pax per 1000nm IF you reconfig to all HD.

Either way both aircraft are about as efficient as you could hope for in the game.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
Most planes mentioned are pretty good and they can all make a decent profit.

With me it comes down more to availability.  I've used the An-140 in the past but it's not available until the early 90s.  By then I've usually invested pretty heavily in something else so they're usually not an option.

The same's true in reverse.  I like ATPs and am currently flying 120 of them but they're getting old and the line is closed.  So, I'll have to switch them all to something else before end of game so I'm thinking I may have been better going for something like the ATR, which will be in production right to the end.

Others not yet mentioned which are good:

F27 - available very early (late 50s) and beat the spots off anything around at the time. Good for 30+ years.
Fokker 50 - still pretty good, but probably not as good as others available by the 90s

HS748 - Again, very good in their heyday but won't be available later. Still, useful from the 60s right through to the early 80s. A bit slow though.

YS-11 - not great, but the biggest in this class. Still make a decent profit.

Just remembered, tlaking of size - another thing to consider - the "arbitrary" limit on C class seating being available.  No C class allowed in the F27/Fokker 50 because it's too small but you can in the HS748, Xian, YS-11, Saab.  I think the An-140 suffers from the same problem iirc. Depends if you nead that feature really.

Online fark24

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 03:12:59 AM »
F27 - available very early (late 50s) and beat the spots off anything around at the time. Good for 30+ years.
Fokker 50 - still pretty good, but probably not as good as others available by the 90s

I personally like this pair and have used them successfully before in Dawn of the Millennium games where the F27 is immediately available. They operate at the same speeds as well - though the F50 turn-around time is 5 minutes longer. Something you have to keep in mind when establishing routes with the F27 if you plan to transition to the F50 later. Each has great range as well - even well beyond the stated ranges with very little penalty to passenger counts.

Just remembered, tlaking of size - another thing to consider - the "arbitrary" limit on C class seating being available.  No C class allowed in the F27/Fokker 50 because it's too small but you can in the HS748

Actually, you *can* offer business class on the F50 - but not the F27. In general, I find the combo great for "3rd world" locations with lots of low passenger count airports, little to no premium traffic, and areas with slowly developing markets. Think the Caribbean, parts of Southeast Asia, parts of Central America, etc.

On the other hand, I'd pick the HS748 over the F27 in the early game if I were to be in Europe or the US east coast because range is not as much of a factor and you need the ability to supply business class.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
Saab2000 which are faster than most but that only works for 500nm, below that and the Turnaround time loses the gain, but it's a nice step toward jets.

Online LotusAirways

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
My favorite prop is the De Havilland Heron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2RMVrvtbg

Online robmck

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
There is one point which makes the A-140 and the Q-400s stand out, which is range.

For maximum fleet utilization, you need an aircraft that can do overnight flights. Both these fit the bill. Run small range flights during the day, and much longer overnight, and they are highly profitable.

I have run fleets of A-140s mainly because they are cheaper to buy, and more available. When everyone else is looking at ATRs and Q-400s with delivery times of months or even years ahead, the A-140 production line has always been relatively clear, and immediately available. They are cheap enough to buy and store until you need them!

All the best

R

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.