Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Gdansk Lech Walesa airport in 1974?  (Read 389 times)

Offline MagicsAvon

• Members
Gdansk Lech Walesa airport in 1974?
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
It was first in the early 1980's that Lech Walesa came into picture in Gdansk. It was the time Solidarnosc was born and Walesa was leading the strikes on the large Gdanks shipyards. I am pretty sure at that time their was no airport named after him. The airport was indeed opened in 1974, but from what i see it was first named after Lech Walesa in 2004!!
Before that time it was called   Port Lotniczy Gdańsk im". Perhaps a player from Poland could agree to call it Lotnicky Gdansk. I hope you could change the name in the period 1974-2004))

Offline Elladan

• Members
Re: Gdansk Lech Walesa airport in 1974?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
There are many airports in this game that changed it's name over the years and whatever they're called at any given game-time is not necessary absolutely faithful to the real history. It would obviously be great to have a feature of airport name updates but I'm not quite sure if it's feasible without a whole airport closing down and opening anew, which can create a lot of issues with things like demand and is generally much ado about nothing.
In this particular case a bigger omission is the very existence of that airport pre-1974 when it replaced a smaller, closer to the city centre one. But again, much hassle for little gain. As far as naming goes though, a neat solution for airports in Poland would be to replace all the official person based names with locations, no one calls GDA "Lech Wales Airport" - it's known as "Gdansk-Rebiechowo" or just "Rebiechowo".

Offline MagicsAvon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
Thanks for your answer. I just got surprised by the name of the airport during the year 1974. For my work i met quite a few members of Solidarnosc in the early 1980's in Poland. So it all brings back some old memories..). Anyway, Rebiechowo would be a great name, and just changing the names of airports, nothing else,  while the game evolves isn't too difficult my guess and talking about an airport named after Lech Walesa in 1974 is a bit too much beyond history  ;)

Offline Elladan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Well, actually Walesa was not a completely unknown figure in 74 as he surfaced in 1970 during strikes in the Gdansk Shipyard. I doubt anyone will name the airport after him though :)
And what about Houston George Bush? Or Ronald Reagan Washington National? None of them had that name when they had been opened.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
Airport names right now can't change over time.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.