Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: New base rules, feedback  (Read 5183 times)

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
New base rules, feedback
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
Now that one year has passed you can start opening up additional base airports..

Please use this thread to share your experiences on this particular game world about the new features and rules, in the long term too.

Offline andyair

• Members
Re: New base rules, feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
When you open a base as small, can you upgrade it to medium or large later on?

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »
Yes.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »
Another idea, slightly different from current implementation might be, instead of having levels that are:
1. small
2. small + medium
3. small + medium + large
4. small + medium + large + very large

Each type could be a check box. 

So for example, I only remember seeing very large aircraft at NRT, so a player there could check only VLG and nothing else
At PHX, a player could select only large and nothing else.

Just a minor tweak, but it is excellent as is.

Offline Monica

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:29 AM »
Is there a way to downgrade the HQ airport? I don't need level 4.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »
Just absolutely love the new base rules. Small a/c operators (of small aircraft) have a chance to expand out of a limiting start up base which the game has lacked to date. A neat, effective and Real World solution.
There's a few wrinkles, like level 1 base doesn't allow any aircraft?  Two a/c would be fine to get the new base up and running while awaiting for additional aircraft to become available. I'm cash limited so I'll comment on other things I can't do yet when I have a decent cash balance again. I bought a/c to go to the new base, but they arrived at my Home Base and I can't find a way to send them on to the new base.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »
Is there a way to downgrade the HQ airport? I don't need level 4.

No, it is always at max.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
go to the new base, but they arrived at my Home Base and I can't find a way to send them on to the new base.

What size base and what size class a/c?

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
Hi Sami, it's a size 1 base and B1900 a/c. There's no (I couldn't find) any where to transfer a/c (though I'd rather send them with Pax). Other a/c is a Saab 340 bought to go to the new airport but that might be size 2?.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Just tried and works fine..

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
Thank you Sami. It must be my negative financial situation that has caused it. Recovering steadily, just hope there's n Class D maintenances coming up! Thanks. :)

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
would be nice for smaller companies to be able to downgrade their main base. How to make profit in Groenland with a level 4 base???

Offline Monica

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:02:13 AM »
would be nice for smaller companies to be able to downgrade their main base. How to make profit in Groenland with a level 4 base???

I agree!

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
I agree too, in fact start with a level 2 base, and a bit more money to go to 4 or to leave in the bank.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
I agree too, in fact start with a level 2 base, and a bit more money to go to 4 or to leave in the bank.

Great idea!

Well, maybe level 3 instead of level 2 at the start of MT worlds.  This way, all the airlines could not immediately lease DC-10s and fly to LHR.  They would have to first make ~$30m flying medium / large aircraft before they could fly very large aircraft.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 01:07:44 AM »
Great idea!

Well, maybe level 3 instead of level 2 at the start of MT worlds.  This way, all the airlines could not immediately lease DC-10s and fly to LHR.  They would have to first make ~$30m flying medium / large aircraft before they could fly very large aircraft.

Airlines base at big hubs have no problem getting cash from Large A/C to upgrade base to use Very Large A/C and fly to LHR, anyway

The mechanism of the game should be tuned so that, airlines use either Medium/Large A/C or VL strategy grow at not so much different rate

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:48 AM »
Airlines base at big hubs have no problem getting cash from Large A/C to upgrade base to use Very Large A/C and fly to LHR, anyway

The mechanism of the game should be tuned so that, airlines use either Medium/Large A/C or VL strategy grow at not so much different rate

It will take 6 months or more to earn ~$40m flying large aircraft.  Well, not just earn and invest, but earn and hoard cash.  It will be a year or more before even 20% of the airline have saved $40m in cash.

That's a huge difference between everyone being able to do that on day 1.  Too bad it was not implemented in the current game from the beginning...

Edit:  I bet there are no more than 10 airlines in the current game, 1.5 years into it that hare sitting on $40m cash that they have earned without flying very large aircraft.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:54:21 AM by JumboShrimp »

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »
I meant, right now many airlines can fly LH to LHR and earn huge profit, but if only 10 or so airlines that earn 40M to be able to fly LH, wouldn't it be much more unfair? Those 10 airlines would be getting huge profit from LH, and would make it even harder for other airlines to compete

To sum up, now everyone can fly LH from day 1. After the change, only 10 or so big airlines can enjoy the privilege and reap all profit for themselves?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »
I meant, right now many airlines can fly LH to LHR and earn huge profit, but if only 10 or so airlines that earn 40M to be able to fly LH, wouldn't it be much more unfair? Those 10 airlines would be getting huge profit from LH, and would make it even harder for other airlines to compete

To sum up, now everyone can fly LH from day 1. After the change, only 10 or so big airlines can enjoy the privilege and reap all profit for themselves?

It's a huge trade-off.  You have to stall your growth to save $40m cash, while you competitor can grow and get 20 large aircraft in that time.  So the 10 airlines that went for base size increase may end up not really gaining that much.

I think starting HQ at level 3, closing down the LH exploit would benefit the game balance tremendously, compared to current situation.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 06:17:32 AM »
There's still B757 for Trans-Atlantic, not so much like DC-10 but still tap in the huge C and F market of LHR

I think a way for this is to establish different RI grow rate of Short vs Long Haul, for example:

For Short haul: RI grow normally like current rate, with the extra % grow rate for each CI point (your RI grow 10% faster with CI of 10)
For Medium haul: RI grow rate = half of Short haul, also have the extra % grow rate for each CI point
For Long haul: RI grow rate = (RI grow rate of Short haul) x CI point in %; so with CI of 10, LH RI grow rate is equal to 10% of Short haul RI grow rate

There's really no perfect solution, but I think if we can find a balance way for most strategies to work, then that's good enough

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.