Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: 9'11  (Read 628 times)

Offline Pukeko

• Members
9'11
« on: May 22, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
How come no warning in world events? Seen as how it still has probabl the biggest effect on LF in the whole game world, seems strange not to include it... or did I simply miss it?

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
Re: 9'11
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
World Events are random, 9/11 is scripted. So it does not appear in that tab.

Offline Pukeko

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
I thought that may be the case.

Personally I would prefer events like this to random... ie. what airlines were prepared for the real 9'11... answer: none. But in the game we know it is coming so can prepare. I guess this has been partly introduced with the new world events being random which I think is a good development, so seems strange having one single event outside this system.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
Real world events are not yet modelled in the events system

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
While I am a real advocate of realism in a business simulation, I am pleased that 9/11 is not programmed as a world event in this simulation.

It was a terrible event that impacted real people in such a way that putting such an event into a recreational simulation may be offensive and hurtful to some.

In my opinion, this event is better left to memory.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
Real world events are planned to be included in the future into the events module, but it requires a large (=huge) data collection since we'd need to cover the entire history globally (otherwise it would be unfair if only some events are included somewhere in the world while others are not)  .. (ref. feature rq forum).

But if that ever gets done we'll most certainly won't "hide" certain events to be politically correct so to say ... If something major affecting airline business happened (like 9/11 which had a huge effect to the industry), I really do not see why it should be acted like it never existed or happened IF other similar / real events are included. (however, that said, I am still more a fan of dynamic/random events rather than same predictable changes in each game)

The current model of this event is based only on the global decline of the passenger traffic after the event (based on real world data). So currently it's not really an "event" but more a "chance in global economy" type of thing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:53:54 AM by sami »

Offline Fscamp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
While I am a real advocate of realism in a business simulation, I am pleased that 9/11 is not programmed as a world event in this simulation.

It was a terrible event that impacted real people in such a way that putting such an event into a recreational simulation may be offensive and hurtful to some.

Then no violent real world conflict should be included as event in this game, all of them impacted real people very much. Think about Iraq & Vietnam wars for example, they directly impacted way more people than 9/11 did. Just the fact 9/11 involved airliners & received huge amount of media coverage shouldn't make it any more significant than all the other horrible acts of violence this world has witnessed within the game timeline.

To be honest personally I prefer the idea of random events, after all IRL airlines had no way to prepare for any events like this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:47:50 PM by Fscamp »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.