New feature: Random World Events

Started by Sami, April 01, 2014, 09:08:08 AM

Curse

Why's that? What if the county or city parliament of Bismarck wants to initiate a law that offends a local group and then they protest? Maybe the city decides to lay off a fire department or close a hospital with a free ER?

FlorianF

I'm not arguing for anything Airport-level Sami, but I think it would already be a big step forward from total randomness if the probabilities of a certain event are different per region.
HatF: Oryx Airlines

LemonButt

Quote from: FlorianV on April 19, 2014, 05:30:24 PM
I'm not arguing for anything Airport-level Sami, but I think it would already be a big step forward from total randomness if the probabilities of a certain event are different per region.

I think this will be easy to accomplish once city-based demand is implemented, which includes values for leisure travel, business, industry, infrastructure levels, etc.  Areas with more business/industry could be more likely to have protests, for example.  Areas with high levels of infrastructure would be less likely to have disruption by politicians showing up, etc.

Wreck

Having been a victim of the biggest random event, so far, in GW4 (African Volcano) the impact for me was Punctuality reduced to 13% which in turn led to 25% being wiped off CI.

The only action that I could take (as far as I can see) was to increase marketing to restore CI, which I'm still paying for.

You can't plan for these events as you would do in real life, and you can't implement contingency plans quickly as you would in real life. If you are away from the game for 24 hours (I like a good drink every now & again) a game month can pass before you even know that the event happened. Realistically does the flying public blame an airline for an Act of God & mentally mark their image down by 25%?

For me this is just a random hit on profits, should you be "unlucky", and therefore adds nothing. It certainly doesn't help the game's credentials as a educational tool.

Feeling just a little sabotaged at the moment, as I suspect the few operating out of Africa are.
How about letting me insure against more Random Events?

Curse

I came to think about asking sami for reduced CI loss due to the events. This should prevent the longterm problems from the huge events to a certain level.

Infinity

Quote from: Wreck on April 19, 2014, 06:32:59 PM
You can't plan for these events as you would do in real life

Can you plan for volcano eruptions in real life? I wasn't under that impression when it happened the last time.

NorgeFly

I don't think it really matters what the event actually is or whether is realistic, just that it gives us a challenge. Before these random events, the only thing we faced was 9/11 and that was always entirely predictable.

Now at least we have something other than constant growth.

Although, I'm yet to see a "positive" event... Or maybe I've missed it.

Zombie Slayer

Quote from: saftfrucht on April 19, 2014, 10:14:35 PM
Can you plan for volcano eruptions in real life? I wasn't under that impression when it happened the last time.

Generally, we have a good idea of when a Volcano may erupt in this day and age. Not with the accuracy we can predict weather, but at least we can see signs that an eruption is likely or even imminent and prepare accordingly. Now if we could only figure out how to predict earthquakes....
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

Wreck

Quote from: NorgeFly on April 19, 2014, 10:50:52 PM
I don't think it really matters what the event actually is or whether is realistic, just that it gives us a challenge. Before these random events, the only thing we faced was 9/11 and that was always entirely predictable.

Now at least we have something other than constant growth.

Although, I'm yet to see a "positive" event... Or maybe I've missed it.

Where is the challenge?
What are you going to do other than take the hit on profits?

Wreck

Quote from: saftfrucht on April 19, 2014, 10:14:35 PM

If I have cancellations for a week, then hopper flights (under the ash) to Malta/Sicily (miraculously unaffected) and run operations from there until it subsides. Assumes that a contingency plan was in place with contracts already negotiated.

Otherwise, start filling the insurance forms in....

NorgeFly

Quote from: Wreck on April 20, 2014, 05:06:57 AM
Where is the challenge?
What are you going to do other than take the hit on profits?

If it's a major incident that has a longer timescale, it challenges you take actions to remedy the effected. During the bird flu outbreak in Euro game I chose to temporarily ground some aircraft and reduce frequency on some routes to lower the losses.

Or you can just ignore it and take the losses.

Wreck

Quote from: NorgeFly on April 20, 2014, 10:00:29 AM
If it's a major incident that has a longer timescale, it challenges you take actions to remedy the effected. During the bird flu outbreak in Euro game I chose to temporarily ground some aircraft and reduce frequency on some routes to lower the losses.

Or you can just ignore it and take the losses.

How long did the Bird Flu incident last?

NorgeFly

I think the effects lasted over three months.

Wreck

Quote from: NorgeFly on April 20, 2014, 11:29:39 AM
I think the effects lasted over three months.

OK, accepted, easier to do something over that period.

Luperco

Quote from: NorgeFly on April 20, 2014, 10:00:29 AM
During the bird flu outbreak in Euro game I chose to temporarily ground some aircraft and reduce frequency on some routes to lower the losses.

You can't. If you do, you will loose the slot.

Anyway I agree with Wreck, in my opinion those events add nothing but frustration.

I think that the development effort should more useful if directed in writing a better user interface.
Saluti
Emanuele

NorgeFly

Quote from: Luperco on April 21, 2014, 08:25:26 PM
You can't. If you do, you will loose the slot.

Anyway I agree with Wreck, in my opinion those events add nothing but frustration.

I think that the development effort should more useful if directed in writing a better user interface.

You can and I did. I decided that the possible costs of repurchasing slots was worth it to stem losses. I could not justify flying aircraft with only 30% LFs indefinitely.

Had the "event" gone on for much longer I then would have fired the excess staff too. That would have impacted CI and morale so I left that a little longer to make sure it was necessary. In the end, it wasn't necessary.

Lubeca

Depending to

14-Apr-1967
Major protests in Italy against the government escalated. Several foreign governments issued travel warnings. The local government announced snap elections in two weeks. It is expected fights between security agencies and protesters are ongoing until then. Travel agencies expect up to 40% less passengers for airlines.

i have dozends of route oversupply warning to all my destinations in italy. is this intended? i´ve nothing against the events, but to reduce my seat capacity at all these routs is just silly work, i think...anybody else with the same experiences?

Monica

Quote from: jaba on April 21, 2014, 10:55:55 PM
Depending to

14-Apr-1967
Major protests in Italy against the government escalated. Several foreign governments issued travel warnings. The local government announced snap elections in two weeks. It is expected fights between security agencies and protesters are ongoing until then. Travel agencies expect up to 40% less passengers for airlines.

i have dozends of route oversupply warning to all my destinations in italy. is this intended? i´ve nothing against the events, but to reduce my seat capacity at all these routs is just silly work, i think...anybody else with the same experiences?

I have the same problem.. :( I thought these random events wouldn't trigger oversupply warnings.

Kadachiman

Especially if you have to reduce seating capacity 7 times per route for 7 day scheduling
This game is demanding more and more time to be spent on it....reassessment of my time is near