New feature: Random World Events

Started by Sami, April 01, 2014, 09:08:08 AM

Sami

We have a brand new major feature - Random World Events!

A volcano erupts near your airport and all flights are cancelled for several days. General strike shuts down all flights in the entire country. A storm causes major delays at an airport .... and many other challenges and events to keep you on your toes!

AirwaySim's new event engine creates different random events that can cause flight delays, cancellations or changes to passenger demand. There are dozens of different event types that all have unique effects to your operations.

This feature is initially available only in the Euro World scenario but will be later added to other scenarios too.

ps. It's April Fool's Day, but this is real stuff!

LemonButt

Are any of the events good?  i.e. the Olympics, World Cup, etc. where it might actually boost air travel?

Sami

Yes there are some of them but so far only a few.

Dasha

Are some regions likely to suffer more from certain events? I mean a volcano eruption in New York or a strike in Switzerland or political demonstrations in Russia or something aren't very 'realistic'? Or is that random as well?

I'd like it to be a bit of both. Nobody's going to Iceland if volcano's happen only where there are volcano's :P
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Sami

No, it's purely random in that sense.

Cardinal

Quote from: Dasha on April 01, 2014, 12:40:51 PM
Are some regions likely to suffer more from certain events? I mean a volcano eruption in New York or a strike in Switzerland or political demonstrations in Russia or something aren't very 'realistic'? Or is that random as well?

I'd like it to be a bit of both. Nobody's going to Iceland if volcano's happen only where there are volcano's :P

"The fiberglass Big Thunder Mountain prop at Walt Disney World has erupted, disrupting air traffic at MCO and SFB."  ;D

Dasha

Will this feature in the future include 'accidents' as well? Like a collapsed landing gear and the plane is damaged or a crash or something?
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Artem999

Quote from: Dasha on April 01, 2014, 12:40:51 PM

Political demonstrations is Russia :) Ha, That's quite funny you placed it to 'aren't very realistic stuff' :)

Dasha

Well since we're both from Russia (I guess) we both know they never happen :P

Also.. I posted it on April 01... quite by accident :D

Mirroring

This new feature will make the game more fun. I can't wait to play in a game world that has this new feature. It will be an awesome addition to Airway Sims.  :)

Sami

We'll gather some feedback and general technical reliability data of the new system first in this game, and it will be added to other games probably later this month.

ezzeqiel

Really sami ?? even less thinking and even more luck ??

Infinity

I like the new feature, it's not an active element that enhances or impacts playability but it does add some realism and fun. However, I feel that aircraft collisions/crashes whatever happen a little too frequently. I have seen 2 or 3 in the last 6 game months in Euro World alone, irl there would never be so many in that timeframe.

Sami

Not realistic, eh:

"General strike in France             20-Jan-2017
For two days the whole work force of France is on strike. All flights are cancelled."

;D

(ps. this feature hasn't got anything to do with luck, and one saying so is purely ignorant. Any real world airline manager really cannot choose when the bird flu hits or when the volcano decides to spit out some ashes - in real life such events have had huge effects and powers to airlines during the last years, and now we have the same here too (but not in such extreme levels) - but the main idea is that one cannot think/expect anymore that once you set up the shop it's always growth and easy expansions until the end. If some big event happens you really need to adjust your operations and stay on top of things.)

Zombie Slayer

(Will be reposted in feature request forum)

The random events have taken over the world events news feed. It is easy to miss actual important announcements like airport openings with the random events making other events roll off the bottom of that section very quick. Can we get a new feed for random events to make keeping up with all events easier?
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

Zombie Slayer

Quote from: JetWestInc on April 11, 2014, 08:48:24 PM
(Will be reposted in feature request forum)

The random events have taken over the world events news feed. It is easy to miss actual important announcements like airport openings with the random events making other events roll off the bottom of that section very quick. Can we get a new feed for random events to make keeping up with all events easier?

Or I wont post in the feature request forum since we are no longer allowed to post there....
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

Sami

There's still an open thread of this matter so simply post there. (The features forum is closed for NEW topics so you should just find the existing topic of that matter and reply there, since most major requests are already covered there. )

And; as posted today to the other thread the events will be expanded to all running game worlds, bit by bit. In Euro World in my mind the amount of events has been good (= not too few, not too many?), but for full world scenarios their coverage may be too small to have any meaningful effects, but feedback on this is welcome.

And one other thing to note is that each event has a certain "do not repeat until xx days has passed" time frame setting. So that major events of the same type cannot happen too often. This means that when the events system is started in the games the probability of the 'big' events (like the bird flu thing) is higher than after some game years when some big events have already happened - so it will even out as time goes by. (just that you know)

Wreck

(ps. this feature hasn't got anything to do with luck, and one saying so is purely ignorant.

I think the use of the word "random" severely undermines your argument here.

In real life you have 24 hour monitoring & a wealth of viable and immediate contingency actions.

FlorianF

While I generally like the idea of more world events, I think the fact that it's completely random makes it unrealistic. For example, if I were to have my airline based in Muscat, Oman in real life, my chance would be effectively 0 to have my home base shut down by a volcanic eruption (the closest even slightly active volcano being ~2500 km away) . That said, I should be far more prone to political instability, and Kabul is of course far more likely to be shut down by some action rather than a small US regional airport.

Cheers,
Florian
HatF: Oryx Airlines

LemonButt

Random is indeed correct.  I have been to Bismarck and it would be the absolute last place you'd see this:

03-Dec-2004
Several people are peacefully protesting against social problems at Bismarck Municipal (KBIS / BIS). This may cause delays.