Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: TU 104 AND COMET  (Read 736 times)

Offline saetta

• Members
TU 104 AND COMET
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
In my humble opinion if you buy or lease either a TU jet or to a lesser degree a Comet statistically you are doomed. Someone please enlighten me to the contrary.

Offline dmoose42

• Members
Re: TU 104 AND COMET
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
It all depends on what the demand structure is from your base.  I used TU's very effectively in GW1 and another guy used comets to great profits in LAX.  If you are in a second-tier city, then you probably will struggle with them unless the demand allows you to benefit from lots of red-eyes...

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
Comets are good if you have the range demand and don't suffer too much from competition.

Tu-104A/B also have their moments. Standard version is really bad and you can clearly see nobody experienced orders them.

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
Always good to get input from you guys. On the other hand I am very pleasantly surprised wit the Britannia so far ...so I plan to buy more and keep them longer. I hope they will be relatively competitive with newer jets. I would like to keep the Brits till the DC 8 60 series becomes available..... Is that too long and too optimistic. You don't have to answer this one, cus it might reveal some strategic secrets...but you can be general !

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
Depends. Out of a Tier2 airport Britannias are ok.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
I'm doing just fine with the 104A, breaking even at the worst while RI goes up. Being restricted to Soviet aircraft, it was my only option for expansion at the time. They are perfectly fine in the short term with red eye flights and proper planning for their replacement. It also helps to have a more lucrative fleet type propping them up.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:05 PM »
In my humble opinion if you buy or lease either a TU jet or to a lesser degree a Comet statistically you are doomed. Someone please enlighten me to the contrary.

The Comet 4's are, IMHO, among the better AWS aircraft (for the time period) IF used appropriately. Statistically, they are inferior to most 50's era props, but they are the first true jet on the market and the 4 variants offer range not matched in a comparable plane until the 727-200 Advanced rolls out. The 4 variant also offers similar fuel/asm as the 707's and DC-8's, so while thirsty they are not -that- bad.

If you order them, have an iron clad exit strategy (replace them with 727, 737, BAC's, or a mix), keep them flying as much as possible, and watch for that second D check, it gets pricey.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:54:38 AM »
Fun to hear all these opinions. I think I will cherish the Britannia and 6B  till the 727 arrives in all its variations. Patience seems to be the key to success in this game. One of my new competitors just introduced Boeing 307 ...and I was thinking my Martins were aging !!!!

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:52 AM »
Troxartas your airline is a peculiar experiment and I admire you for it ....don't think I want to emulate you. I would get killed by Boeing 307 !!

Offline Crazybernie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
I am able to make good profits on the comet 3's and 4's.  You just need to dump them after 8 years because the D-checks are too expensive.

I will also introduce tupolevs shortly even with the higher maintenance cost that they have  it will allow me to grow quicker.  My biggest problem is getting enough planes in to grow fast enough and replace my connies.

So I will be using the following fleet combination next couple of years:
Dc8-30 --> 60
Tupolevs 104B
Comets 4

Offline Crazybernie

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
Also by starting early with the 707 i will be able to use the same plane type for a very long time which means that I don't have to spend a lot of time rescheduling.

Offline Fscamp

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
I'm doing profit just fine with TU-104A's, planning to keep them until BAC 1-11 versions with +1000nm range come out.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.