Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Beautifull is always expensive  (Read 1850 times)

Offline saetta

• Members
Beautifull is always expensive
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:36:46 AM »
I guess most of us in this scenario love Comets, Connies, but as in real life, beauty is always expensive, I rather look at them then own them!. The DC 4 and 6 might not be flashy but they are reliable workhorses!
Nobody talks much about the Caravelle..another beautiful...and I think expensive AC. I admire those then can make $ with these beauties...
Those of you who are veterans of this game, will we be having CV 580,640? ( it would make that AC more interesting) and VC 10...another expensive beauty.

I am a Languedoc fan myself ....but it was such a commercial disaster that most aficionados don't have a clue of what it is/was

BD

• Former member
Re: Beautifull is always expensive
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:29 AM »
http://www.goldencreekstudio.com/portfolios/images/languedoc960D.jpg

Nice image here for anyone who wants to know what the Languedoc looks like.  ;D

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »
Very cool !!

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:14 AM »
did we talk about comet and connie in this game? :|

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »
Yes King Air has talked about them, and has them, and the Comet apparently purely for love !!
Seems to work for his airline!

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:37 AM »
lol... it is known comet works on east/west coast for overnight flight to maximize utilization. The previous JA lax player also had massive success on it and overtaken LHR player for a while. Sadly the plane is useless for ultra short haul.

Curse might have the love for it but he is certainly not stupid enough to base an aircraft solely on love at the beginning of the game(since he plan to dominating the game). ;)

Caravelle is too early for the average joe to put love in it(1959 delivery?) and DC6 is one of the most loved plane at this stage in the game.
vc10 is in but not cv580/640.

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:20:21 AM »
Well he has 75 ordered ! as of now

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Comets 1 out of KLAX are break even but support frequency. I guess out of a European airport or Atlanta, JFK etc. they can turn in (low) profits. However, you normally get Comet 1 because you can later get Comet 4B/C. That's also why you want to get some Comet 3 on that way as well as Comet4/A.

It's a questionable move from my point of view to own aircraft you want to fly a maximum 5-6 years and that are nearly worthless on the used market after that period of time because slightly higher fuel makes them nearly impossible to turn in profit. The only exception to this might be an airline with unlimited funds (... Heathrow ...), where owning, flying on short routes and then scrapping them might be a valid strategy.

DC-4 is the best starting aircraft for Tier1 and Tier2 European airports.

VC-10 and Super VC-10 are in the game. CV-580/CV-640 not. The only Convairs we are going to see are the CV-880/CV-990.

thxkkkbai
:P

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
At this point beauty is irrelevant. I am desperate for DC 6 , I will take them with out a wing, tail or with a missing engine or two !!!

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »
Michelle is right about us veterans knowing better and sticking with the old piston reliables.
Those who have rushed in to buy the big new jets may well find themselves in trouble as pax figs this early in the game don't support these large aircraft.
They will find that they have quadrupled their expenses and quartered their load factors.
I predict the next wave in bankruptcies will be in about 2-3 game years.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
Actually that depends on so many things - for example how big is the demand your airport has to offer and how far is it away.

Most people simply underestimate the huge costs of the 4th Pilot on many props together with the slow speed and the huge maintenance costs. No discussion the Comet 1 is a bad jet that can barely make profit on short routes, however, the Comet 3 is about 10-30% better in overall performance than a 649/749 Constellation or even DC-6 and still 5-15% better than DC-6B or Super Constellation - with fuel between $60 and $70.

The problems many airlines run into, mine included, are other factors like competition saturated some routes, the huge rescheduling from prop to prop and prop to Jet as well as the increasing fuel prices without enough inflation to increase ticket prices accordingly.

That's why it's so important to use the early and rich years... to be prepared for the dry years that follow until bigger jets are in service and inflation kicks in. It's a longtime gameworld that needs an according strategy and people who can stick to such a strategy even when changes occur.

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
I tend to agree with Terry . Tough I have learned no to question King Air follies ...they seem to work for Curse, but I would be very careful in copying him, what works for him will probably work for a very few others....I find the Britannia a decent transition aircraft...hope I am right !!

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Of curse (:P) my strategies only work for my airport and maybe 1-2 similar airports. Copying what I do ingame is maybe the second stupidest move in history of mankind - directly after #1, opening a base at my headquarter and losing the airline due to this...

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
I wish this game had a Languedoc, if it did I would buy a couple and indulge in some masochism !! Maybe in the next long game it will appear...I think it could be profitable in selected routes.

Offline Crazybernie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
I also went with a big fleet of comets. I currently have about 111 and expect that to grow to about 170 before I start to replace them with 727-100.

I went with the comet1 for 4 reasons:
1. A lot more flights per plane then the similar props. Which really helps competing against the props on the medium range routes.
2. The wide range of applications where a comet can be used. I use mine from low demand routes to England to short range flights. Allowing me to transition to two very large fleet types without having to have a fourth fleet type. Just this fact means that I can easily affort the higher fuel cost.
3. They tend to become pretty cheap in the sixties because a lot our airlines cannot make them fly profitable :). Allowing me to cheaply add routes to the network without a lot of capital outlay.
4. The sooner you move to jets the sooner you're done with the whole rescheduling and restructuring.

ps I never made real good money on the comet1 but the 3's and 4's that I have in service are real profit centers.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
Actually the only Comet4 that don't earn huge profits are the ones with UK/Europe/South America techstop. However, that was clear before and who does that with the hope of making good profit with that is lost at all. :P

Offline Peanutoil

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
I think the selection of aircraft is hugely depending on the aieport the airlines based at. And some others factors like airline financing, competition, and personal preferred gaming style are also affecting. Taking my airline at KLGA as example, the aircraft selection is mainly go to turboprops. It is because when i am using props i could make profit with a relatively low load factor. Also, the airport have many demand within 1000nm which favorablebfor props than jets. Of course there are still many reasons. You should be able to tell your own unless you play the game only by luck.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:23:14 AM by Peanutoil »

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
@ Peanut

That's what I said. And that's why Kelrick went BK. :)

Of curse (:P) my strategies only work for my airport and maybe 1-2 similar airports. Copying what I do ingame is maybe the second stupidest move in history of mankind - directly after #1, opening a base at my headquarter and losing the airline due to this...

Offline Peanutoil

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
@ Peanut

That's what I said. And that's why Kelrick went BK. :)
It seemed copied your view, but I believe all experienced player have their own way to choose aircraft. Some prefer more aggressive way, while some prefer stable way. Hope new players can try to develop their own way in playing aws.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
Yeah. I just wanted to quote it again for what's in the quote... hrhr. :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.