Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Logarithmic Scale on Graphs - For example, on Income Statement Line Items  (Read 282 times)

BD

• Former member
The occasional (but expected) outlier forces the scale on these graphs to be so large that normal figures (the other 99%) that have much smaller variance between themselves are difficult to discern without mousing over them to get the actual figure from the tool tip.  It is not so much an issue of trying to know what each individual time point's value is, but to be able to detect a trend.  The lines start to look rather flat, when a large outlier is present.

An example is Net Change in Cash Flow when a large purchase of aircraft have been made in the preceding 40 weeks.  

This problem is typically handled elsewhere by presenting the data on a logarithmic scale.  Then, the values closer into the median will "pop out".

Would be nice for the system to one of:  1)  be smart enough to know when it needs to present a log scale, or... 2)  have the option to default and/or toggle between log scale or not, or... 3) default to log scale all the time.  

Since the graphs are provided by a third party package (from what I understand in response on another forum post), I imagine that they likely have the option to display this.

Not a huge issue, but a nice to have enhancement if that part of the code is being worked on in future.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:40:32 AM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Logarithmic Scale on Graphs - For example, on Income Statement Line Items
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
I see the charts do support this (separate chart) but don't see it really worth the effort needed.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
On a log graph, positive values are >1 and negative values are between 0 and 1.  I see mass confusion if this were implemented :)

BD

• Former member
On a log graph, positive values are >1 and negative values are between 0 and 1.  I see mass confusion if this were implemented :)
Probably no more confusion than introducing the current form of GAAP accounting vs cash based accounting, as was done recently.  People will be confused by anything they don't understand at first.  Just need to get educated about it. Plus, the proposal is really to make it optional, but this debate is academic at this point.  ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.