Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: LHR slots  (Read 608 times)

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
LHR slots
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
Wow, This is the first time I see this...

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: LHR slots
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:03 AM »
Still early....even in the current MT it took about 5 months for all the slots to disappear.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
A daily slot set is running north of $350k at this point. It'll take a while to nom them all.

Something is messed up when non-LHR based airlines can afford more slots than the ones based there...

Offline dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »
This was the case in the last JA as well, but don't worry, the awesomeness of LHR will win out in the end...

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:19:30 AM »
I guess (basically) destroying the possibility to base at London Heathrow is one way to "fix" the slot (hogging) problems.

However, take into account that about 1/3 of the world can't fly into Heathrow or only with a totally ridiculous amount of tech-stops. While this might work for e.g. Johannesburg it's not going to work in long term for most others.

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »
Remember, before "Open Skies" only two US airlines were allowed to serve Heathrow, and both of those agreements required massive costs. (PanAm was required to have a minimum of 1,400 UK-based employees, for example). So the high slot costs and landing fees are not unrealistic.

Even today, Heathrow access is still an issue for growing Carriers.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »
The basic problem is this game rebuilds history and doesn't allow us to build our own present. :) Honestly I would not care much about Heathrow if it would not have those ridiculous demands.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:55:02 AM »
The basic problem is this game rebuilds history and doesn't allow us to build our own present. :) Honestly I would not care much about Heathrow if it would not have those ridiculous demands.

If the game rebuilt history, I'd have had hundreds of Il-12s ready to go instead of needing to start the line from scratch only to likely lose it while I'm spending all my money on building up RI and waiting for more routes to become viable. They entered regular passenger service in 1948, though I understand the sim randomizes dates to some extent and it seems this launch was pushed until very recently. There should also be thousands of dirt cheap highly inefficient Li-2s, the Soviet DC-3 knock-off which remained in use into the 60's.

I know this is an extremely rare complaint but I like to fly these planes because they have a legitimate place in aviation history. I thought I disproved the idea that everything Russian was useless when I used nothing but Soviet products from beginning to end without a single BK in a DoTM scenario. Trying to do that again is exceedingly difficult in a world that has not one ounce of Russian metal available at the start. I may even miss out on some of the better early models while I struggle to build up cash with the only choice currently available to me. It's bad enough I had to wait a month just to schedule my first flights in order to not break the rules of my own Russian-only challenge.

As for LHR, I've always regarded it with the same consideration I would give to trying to base my airline on Mars. Flying there from the outside, I often compare to flying turboprops to the moon. It's best considered for a well established airline unless your start-up can land some choice slots that are immediately profitable. The only time I ever did that was years ago when I joined my first real scenario mid-game flying long-haul out of Nigeria. I don't think that's even possible nowadays with the changes to RI vs LF and all that.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.