Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Game-day lengh. Do you like it?  (Read 845 times)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
Game-day lengh. Do you like it?
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Hi

This will be the first "Jet Age" game I'm not playing in for several real-world years, the reason being that I really don't like the way the game-day lengths are set.

At the start, things are VERY hectic - rushing to buy as many small aircraft as possible, grabbing all, sorry I mean your fair share  ::) of the slots before they're gone, etc.  
Then things slow down a bit - ESPECIALLY in the 70's when demand is a bit flat and there isn't much profit to be made.
Things are a bit quicker through the 80's and 90's, and probably before as lots of shiny new, efficient types are available.
Towards the end I would imagine things get VERY slow as everybody has fully built their airline, used all their bases and is just doing "maintenance" - fleet replacement and such and are a bit bored and just waiting for the game to finish.

So - why do we have a 20 minute game day at the start and then increasing towards the end?  In my mind it should be the other way around.  I know that in the current long game world the first couple of weeks were totally crazy and I never seemed to be away from my computer (but then I need to get more of a life). Now (1987) things are about right but towards the end it is going to get VERY tedious with 35 minute days.  I think less people would drop out before the end if the final days passed less slowly later on.

What do others think?  Do you like these timings? I'd go for 35 minute game days for the first 4 or 5 years at least and then speed it up significantly.  By the end 20 minute days (or even 15  :o)  should be fine, at least for the last decade or two

It's something I mentioned on one of the threads when the last world had just started, but it got lost in a slanging match about LHR slots or suchlike (unsurprisingly).

Comments?

Online dmoose42

• Members
Re: Game-day lengh. Do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
I agree that days should be longer in the beginning if the game.  Personally, I like the 30 minute days as a good balance between speed and having an AWS/life balance...

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
I am not in this one, but I found it pretty comfortable with the short days, seeing as there isn't much to do early on due to extremely low demand. The short days bridge that phase pretty neatly.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
I like 20 minutes days. Later 25 minutes days maybe. 30 are too long and 35 are annoying.

alfkan

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
With 20 minutes days things are getting quite busy and one might miss important milestones in the game. Better to have familiemembers or other trusted persons covering for you while you take a nap or have to go out for a bite.... ;D

Offline apenfold

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:39:46 AM »
Im with Cur$e, 20 are perhaps a little fast 25 are best, 30/35 are too long (Im talking consistency throughout the game world span). Personally I think 24min game cays would be best, 1 min per hour.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:08:00 AM »
This seems very personal... Each one of us can have a different look...

I personally would like 5 minutes days when I have some free months on college breaks, but I'd probably would like 24hs days when final exams approaches and I have very little time to spare...

Regardless perfect day length, I agree that it would probably be better to have day time reducing over time. If you start the world with 30 minutes a day, finish it with 10 minutes a day...

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »
With 20 minutes days things are getting quite busy and one might miss important milestones in the game.

I agree. To stand a chance at a big airport or against a good competitor you really HAVE to get three aircraft every eight days for the first year at least, otherwise you will never be number one at your base, especially if slots are likely to run out.  This means no longer than 2hrs 10 minutes away from the game for the first week or so, even in the middle of the night.  :o With 35 minute days that's reduced to 4hrs 40 minutes at least!  Anyone who's had a new baby in the household...  this game could actually be good training for that!

This seems very personal...

I agree.  I guess I'll just join this game later when the times are more suited to me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:22:54 AM by [SC] knobbygb »

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
I think it's working just fine for my current strategy. Had my first two planes ready to go yesterday when I got home, set up a third just before bed and squeezed in four and five in ten minutes before heading off to work. I have the best slots locked up for now while the competition is still waiting for deliveries and not much else to do now until demand increases. So far, so good.

thorer01

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:59:23 AM »
I like the shorter days, picks up the pace a little but no too much.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.