Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] many routes = a lot more money  (Read 536 times)

Offline meiru

• Members
[-] many routes = a lot more money
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
what could be improved is the calculation of the staff you need so that an airline has to invest more in personel costs when flying more with an aircraft... I never understood why I need the same crew for 36 flights a week like for 1 flight a week... those airlines flying a lot and short routes have a too big advantage currently... I don't think that the flight preparation and all this kind of stuff is simulated properly... it's only my opinion of course, but I have the feeling, that it could be a little bit bether...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:15:57 AM by sami »

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: many routes = a lot more money
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »
For the most part, short routes = more frequency due to more competition.  Unless you are in Japan, you don't fly widebodies on 200nm high density routes--you use several narrow bodies at high frequency.  It sure would be nice to pay one crew to fly a 300 seater 1x daily, but instead you have to pay 3 crews to fly a 100 seater 3x daily.  Thus, the staff costs are inherently higher.

The longer the flight, the less competition one will face because these routes require more expensive aircraft with more fuel burn etc.  They usually involve flying to congested airports with high slot costs as well.  So in the end, short routes are more profitable, but they are very vulnerable to new entrants and DO require significantly more staff to operate already.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05:30 AM »
Its a game playability decision. It is rather tedious as a player to have to constantly adjust personnel for every single minor change to flight scheduling.....

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:15:47 AM »
Yes, as per prev. post.

exchlbg

• Former member
Re: [-] many routes = a lot more money
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
And BETTER would be better.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
Yes, but the problem is, if you are an airline and you're lucky and have a 250-500pax route without competition. You get so much money that you cannot do anything wrong anymore. And those airlines then influence the markets dramatically, because they simply don't know what to do with the money!
And if you're not lucky and have competition in your HQ, then you have a huge disadvantage against those others. In this case, I could see the possibility of AI airlines too to solve that... but don't you think too that in this game here there are airlines buying insane amounts of aircrafts? I don't think that's very realistic...

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
The demand isn't realistic, so why should players fleet numbers be?

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:33:35 AM »
ok, realistic wasn't the right word... but what I meant was, that it has too much to do with luck. If you're lucky and alone on some routes, you make a lot of money, if not... you have no chance of getting anywhere... the system we have works great if the game is full... but with half full games, some players get some routes completely without competition... and that's not good I think

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
ok, realistic wasn't the right word... but what I meant was, that it has too much to do with luck. If you're lucky and alone on some routes, you make a lot of money, if not... you have no chance of getting anywhere... the system we have works great if the game is full... but with half full games, some players get some routes completely without competition... and that's not good I think

It is all opportunity cost.  I am based at Paris - Orly in DOTM and some of the densest routes in the world are there, such as Orly to Nice with 1000+ demand.  I am flying them with zero competition.  If you are a new entrant to the market and opening new routes, do you fly Orly-Nice and get 50% load factors or do you fly an empty route and get 100% load factors?  The same thing goes for long haul where often 1 aircraft will satisfy 100% of the demand.  Do you fly to an unserved destination and get 100% load factors or get 50% load factors competing on an existing route?  Typically, airlines will avoid competition in order to get higher load factors and profit margins and will only compete when they mature and have no option left but to compete on routes.  Until that happens, it doesn't matter if airlines are flying short or long routes--they will usually be profitable.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »

Luck means the difference between being huge and being really huge, between growing quickly and growing quickest of anyone in the gameworld. It certainly matters. But it doesn't mean the difference between success and 'not getting anywhere'. With bad luck, more comp, you may never catch up to airline B in the next airport, who has had good luck and effectively zero comp. That's one of the reasons there is no meaningful competition between airlines in different airports. But even with bad luck and more competition, you have every chance of success, even having the biggest airline in your airport.

And in a half-full, established gameworld, your level of competition has very little to do with luck, because you can see what the competition is beforehand. If you want hardly any competition, you just have to pick an airport that provides that. They'll be there.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.