Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The CRJ  (Read 566 times)

Offline Bettyb

• Members
The CRJ
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
A few of my ATR72s had some long routes, max range type routes that were taking a while to get to a from. My logic was I needed a faster plane and get more flights out of it.
I went for the CRJ as seat number was nearly perfect but did notice the high fuel cost. Some routes they are saving three/fours hours on but they are barely making a profit!

Any tips for making a CRJ work? Stuck with them now for 5yrs

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: The CRJ
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
A few of my ATR72s had some long routes, max range type routes that were taking a while to get to a from. My logic was I needed a faster plane and get more flights out of it.
I went for the CRJ as seat number was nearly perfect but did notice the high fuel cost. Some routes they are saving three/fours hours on but they are barely making a profit!

Any tips for making a CRJ work? Stuck with them now for 5yrs

I've flown an all CRJ airline with 200 aircraft and 4 bases before.  The CRJ100/200 is tough and shouldn't really be flown more than 300 miles or so because of the fuel burn issue and even then you should only use it for commonality reasons (same fleet as 700/900/1000 so no extra fleet type for 50 seaters).  You are flying them 800+ nm based on my research.  Rule of thumb is you shouldn't fly aircraft more than 10x their seats, so a 30 seater you'd fly 300nm max and a 50 seater would be 500nm max.  You can make money flying them further, but it's more difficult, especially when fuel spikes.  Those long routes you are flying 1000+ nm for 50 pax simply aren't worth it with any aircraft IMO.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Depends on fuel and competition.

Ive been using them in beginners world on a monopoly 200nm route and was not making too much money on them (while being full)

I would say that what the CRJ can do, is also possible to do with an ATR or Dash for less expenditures and thus having a lower break even point (and more profits ;))

So far, the 900 is good and the 1000 too. They aren't too bad but still expensive. I would look at the ERJ, which is a bit newer but can be combined with a larger fleet type as well. Or go Fokker, it offers both 70 and 100 seats in 1 fleet

Offline Bettyb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
Cheers guys,
Lemon I like that rule might apply it!

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
Best use of the 50-seat CRJ's is for competitive/market share reasons, (ie. Frequency).
Always own them, it's real tough to make money when you lease them.

I really do like them them, for several reasons. They open the door for later, larger CRJ's, and can be wildly profitable, even at higher fuel levels, with high utilization. They should be an addition to your fleet, but never the backbone of it. They are a great, cheap way to open new markets, while the RI builds. Then you can replace them with larger aircraft.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.