Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] AI Manufacturer  (Read 499 times)

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
[-] AI Manufacturer
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »
Maybe a bit out there, but since airwaysim has a larger demand for aircraft: ie the 787 might be sold out before the first flight in mt. Why not have some AI Manufacturers? If there is demand for a 787ish aircraft others will try to get something out of it as well. What I propose:
1. Two to three "AWS aircraft industries"
2. If demand outruns supply (say the production list is full for three years or so), one or more of these will start researching a new aircraft in the same size/range category.
3. Engines are similar to the competitor, to prevent hyper AI engines
4. Statistics vary. Some of these AI aircraft are significantly better, while some are "Sovietish"
5. Random launch date and a corresponding first delivery.
6. Prices will be relatively high, due to "development" costs.

For a big player this makes it nearly impossible to plan around these, but might give airlines who just started an edge as they can still easily adapt to this sudden change.

Also congestion for example the 787 might be less, because people will wait and latecomers might switch.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:58:09 AM by sami »

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
Re: AI Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »
I like the idea.  It gets rather dull when everyone knows what types of aircraft will be launched, when they'll be launched, and their specs.  A new random aircraft type that appears would make the game very interesting and would indeed be something it'd be hard to plan for.

Currently, players already know how beneficial an airliner is before it launches.  When it is suddenly made available to order, the aircraft is pounced on because everyone knows how efficient it is.  These random newbies would take a few minutes to look at and research to decide if it is worth the order.

A side option would be to have current manufacturers like Bombardier and Embraer decide to jump on the long-haul market with fantasy aircraft types simply because Airbus and Boeing backlogs are 8+ years.  They may not have as great of specs because it is a new market those manufacturers are entering and they have less experience, but it would steal some market share and offer an option that airlines could receive earlier than the competition.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
Well, if someone likes to make the datasets for these, I don't see why not - for the occasional special "challenge" game. But not for the "real/full" games.....

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »
I like the idea of not knowing about new a/c being available. Meaning launch date, range, fuel consumption, etc... of the fiction and nonfiction models

The dataset of real life a/c can be twitched by, say +/-20%. It'd be a big surprise if MD-80/90 come out much with similar/better specs than A320 series

For fiction models, we can also base them on a real life model, with larger tuned range spec (like +/-30%)

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
Well, if someone likes to make the datasets for these, I don't see why not - for the occasional special "challenge" game. But not for the "real/full" games.....

What would the dataset need to include?

But why not for full games? It came to my mind as a solution for the unrealistically long queue for the 787...
The other solution to that problem would be to increase production rate, but that would just cause some airlines to grow out of hand...

Offline TimmyTopper

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:28 AM »
I think the game definitely needs  a random element added when it comes to planes, as previously mentioned everyone already knows the specifications of the planes and approximately when they are going to come out. This means the blueprint for success is the same every game when it comes to buying planes.

I also really like the idea of fictional manufacturers this would really add another strategic element to the game as players would have to play more reactively, instead of knowing which planes will replace their current fleet even before they have been announced, imho it shouldn't be so easy to pre plan fleets for an entire 65 year gameworld.

The game is great and the speed of development is amazing but im sure im not the only person who finds it a little boring seeing the same planes being pre ordered to the hilt in every game.

Offline AndreiX

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

Send me a model of what you need and I'll do it for one challenge game. For competitive reasons I will not join that challenge nor send the database to anyone else then you!

Offline Noble.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 03:03:04 AM »
One thing that I did think would help make aircraft releases a bit less predictable would be to have manufacturers affected by the orders they receive on earlier aircraft (if this isn't done extensively already). I'm assuming here that the current data used for release dates, production rates and cost are based from the real-world information (I know some unpredictability is incorporated with the release date already) but surely all three of these things are massively dependent on the number of orders made. I'll try to give an example:

The production of the CRJ100/200 surely determined a lot of the facts about the CRJ700, how quickly it was ready, the production rate and the cost. If the CRJ100/200 was more successful on AWS than it was in real life, is it not more likely that the CRJ700 had a faster production rate, for example? I'm not a businessman but it makes sense to me that if Bombardier received significantly more orders on AWS than they did in real life, they'd have upped production for the CRJ700, perhaps with more funds were able to have it ready for orders sooner than they did in real life. I'd have also thought that if a manufacturer had absolutely appalling sales on a certain aircraft, it's unlikely they'd be releasing what is essentially a more modern version. So, in a highly hypothetical situation, if very few people ordered the A320-100 there's a chance Airbus would never actually make the A320-200.

The same could be said for engine manufacturers. If, say, Rolls-Royce were a 'more popular' choice of engine (perhaps by market share) on AWS than they are in reality, this could increase the probability of their future engines being more fuel efficient (not by a large margin, but even +-10% would force us to actually look and 'research' different aircraft types on the AWS world we're in before putting an order in - whereas at the moment, a lot of people already know exactly what aircraft they want and when they could order it) and subsequently it would affect the aircraft taking these engines.

It could make the whole system a lot more dynamic. Of course there are issues with the idea, and it wouldn't be straightforward to implement.

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

Sami I'm definitely willing to do this. I already have a feature request open for the ERJ E2, 787-10 and this one. Also feel like the 777X should be added...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.