Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Demand during sections or quarters of day  (Read 444 times)

Offline BOEING717

• Members
[-] Demand during sections or quarters of day
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
This may be too difficult to put into the computer but I have often seen airlines flying max amount of flights between 2 city's exactly an hour apart (I know that is what presently is the gold standard on most but the major routes of the game)

In real life though if Delta flew 4 flights between AAA and BBB they would not be at 0700, 0800, 0900 and 1000. Most like 0600, 0900, 1500 and 1930. I feel this would make a player work harder to cycle his route planning and try and make his/her schedule more like a real world airline.

I have not seen this come up before and perhaps it is something that I just feel is off, but I know we are trying to be as realistic as we can in this game. I guess I would like to see what anyone else thinks. I know I feel you would not get all the demand with 4 flights in basically the same part of the day
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:34:34 PM by sami »

Offline [ATA] b757capt

• Members
Re: Demand during sections or quarters of day
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
Totally disagree.

Look at American Airlines DFW-LHR in real life.

Two flights a day on 777s that depart 50 minutes apart from either other.

If the demand is there the airlines can fly it at anytime of the day. Just ask Spirit and their 0200 departures.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »
Totally disagree.

Look at American Airlines DFW-LHR in real life.

Two flights a day on 777s that depart 50 minutes apart from either other.

If the demand is there the airlines can fly it at anytime of the day. Just ask Spirit and their 0200 departures.

I agree, and a lot of this is factored in. For example, you are likely to get near 0 LF on a 200nm flight departing at 0200, but the same 0200 departure on a 5000nm flight will take a much smaller LF hit (until the route is oversupplied.)
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
When connecting traffic is modeled, flight timing will be much more imporant, so this feature request is unnecessary as a standalone.

Offline BOEING717

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »
I just don't think a real life airline would survive with say 4 flights per day between 2 citys basically 3hrs apart. Lots of airlines are making huge money on here with a 2030, 2130, 2230, 2330. So does everyone really want to fly in this three hour block. I don't think so, why do you think airlines really work to build up frequency. Business pax need to fly at different times of day. They want an early flight out and an evening back. Getting those pax in real life makes an airline money and I think putting a % of pax at different times of the day would make this more realistic and tougher to schedule for the players. If one airline is flying all its flights in a 3hr block another could fly at a different time of day and would take advantage of pax that wanted a morning departure.

Offline RougeCanuck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
The airline I used to work for did exactly this. 7 flights a day between it's two biggest domestic cities. 0600, 0700, 0800, 1500, 1700, 1800, 1900. The demand is generally concentrated. As for timing I think it does matter in the game because I have one route where my competitor flies more seats than I, but I have 60% of the pax. His flights (on larger planes) are at 0200 and 2100, mine at 0800 and 1700.

Offline Pukeko

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
It's my understanding that time of day is already important (aside the 5-23). Much more chance to get a high LF during morning and early evenings on medium haul than during the middle of the day with everything else being the same.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:11:32 PM by Pukeko »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »
Flight dep/arr time has already a large emphasis on the calculation, and you cannot put all flights to 0800 for example.. Plus technically challenging. And how to present it to user.  ==> no plans for this

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.