Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Newbie needs help :)  (Read 508 times)

Offline jdflyer

• Members
Newbie needs help :)
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to airwaysim, and just started on The Jet Age 8. I am looking at the various airports and am beginning to wonder if I am too late to the game world. Can't decide where to start and when I do, what kind of planes to get. Restarted three times already. Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards,
jdflyer

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Newbie needs help :)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Shouldn't be too tough to get started in JA right now. You'd be best off picking an airport that doesn't already have a dominant airline, that is still large enough to get started in. Size 4 or 5, not too isolated, there should be plenty of options.

Offline jdflyer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks. I am looking at maybe a domestic op from a port with no competition. Which planes would you recommend?

Offline jdflyer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
I have been scouring the hubs suggested by the wizard, but can't decide at all. The ones I like have only long haul demand which I cannot possibly serve at the onset.

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
Just had a very quick scout around Europe and I see Larnaca is free of any based airlines, and still has plenty of potential.

Offline jdflyer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I started in LCA yesterday. Checked the routes just now after almost 12 hours (real time) and they are still all in red in the 20% loads. Is that normal at the beginning?

My second question is, if the demand from an airport is low, and once the 10 or so planes fill it all up, how does growth happen? What are some strategies that I can employ?

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
12 hours is nothing. Success doesn't happen overnight. Give it 4 or 5 days before your loads will start to creep up above 50-60% (ish...all depending on the route you're flying).

Growth happens over time. For starting off, I suggest flying routes which have no competition and there is plenty of demand. The Route Planning page is your best friend for that, keep looking through it.

I suggest getting a mentor to help you. It really helped me when I first started a year or two ago.

Offline jdflyer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
Thank you. I did get a mentor earlier who is really generous with his time and advice, and it has made a huge difference :)

Online dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 02:01:34 AM »
Typically when an airline first starts (CI <20 and RI < 20), you aren't going to be able to get more than 20-30% of PAX on a given route.  As both improve, your load factor will improve.  I suggest serving no more than 50% of demand at first to ensure decent profits from the beginning.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.