Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Aircraft sales cap  (Read 2243 times)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: Aircraft sales cap
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
If you stuff up and buy the wrong plane, why shouldn't you be stuck with it, why shouldn't it be an expensive mistake to fix? If you accidentally leased an a310, you'd be looking at 10 million+ disappearing from bank account to fix it. If you're being very aggressive and get too many planes, that should have serious consequences.

Both your examples could be fixed with better broker AI. Being able to back out of a new plane order closer to delivery date (with a bigger financial penalty for doing so) would also help. A complete revamp of brokers, new plane ordering/delivery slot assignation, commonality and the UM could fix all these issues, make things fairer, remove the need for player to player sales, and remove the opportunity for cheating via transfer of cash, which is still a problem.

I have no problem dealing with the consequences of my bad decisions, be it a bad strategic move of ordering 40 x Q400, or just purely a mistake of ordering wrong aircraft.  What I was objected to is making the consequences 10x harsh by the proposed mandatory holding periods.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: [-] Aircraft sales cap
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
I would think that the one thing we could all agree on is that the system is broken, but if when players who benefit from the broken system can't even admit it's broken, it just looks desperate.  Several notable players that run mega airlines like JumboShrimp and Mr HP believe it is broken based on their comments on this thread, so I don't see why fixing/changing the system to ensure equal opportunity for all players would be considered such an unreasonable request.

I think I have been fairly consistent in calling for economic / market solutions to any problems that surface in AWS, and my comments may have been a bit harsh to the proposal of some mandatory holding period, which to me are just nuts (there I go again).

If there is some bottleneck, let there be a market based solution of relieving the bottleneck.  The last thing AWS needs is programming some half baked special case limitation - that will take away resources from enhancing the AWS economic and market model.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
..and this thread was already closed.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Communism: A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.

Your method of collective, team-centric purchasing of aircraft is more communist than what was proposed, which would be a "government" or company-imposed cap on sales.

Alliance is a voluntary association of players, all actions the players take for the benefit of the team and voluntary.  Players can opt in, opt out.  Communism, on the other hand, in most implementations is highly coercive system, there is no opting out.  

And another feature of Communist system is its obsession with punishing the more successful, bringing them down, take away the fruits of their labor and redistributing it.  That may be the feature that Saftfrucht is alluding to...

brique

• Former member
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »

And another feature of Communist system is its obsession with punishing the more successful, bringing them down, take away the fruits of their labor and redistributing it.  That may be the feature that Saftfrucht is alluding to...

Um, this 'communism' sounds just like every other form of government ; taxation does all the above and, regardless of what philosophical economic justification they may claim to be adhering to, every government does it and they are all pretty obsessed with doing so...

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Um, this 'communism' sounds just like every other form of government ; taxation does all the above and, regardless of what philosophical economic justification they may claim to be adhering to, every government does it and they are all pretty obsessed with doing so...

It is just a question of a degree to which it is done...

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
Just one more comment regarding aircraft leased out or sold by players:

IMO, it adds liquidity, rather taking away from the liquidity.  An aircraft that is ordered by an airline for its own use, that aircraft is locked away from me, pretty much forever.  OTOH, if a player puts it on the market, even if the price is high, I have an option of buying it, leasing it, at whatever premium the seller / lessor choses.

I have taken advantage of it, more than once. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.