Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Using logos and brands of defunct airlines  (Read 2010 times)

Offline jkwicinski

• Members
Using logos and brands of defunct airlines
« on: December 17, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
Hmm...I noticed that the 15th largest airline by revenue is clearly using logos and trademarks (American Trans Air) that are still owned by Southwest Airlines. Does this mean we are allowed to use brand identities of defunct airlines?

ucfknightryan

• Former member
Re: Using logos and brands of defunct airlines
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »
Hmm...I noticed that the 15th largest airline by revenue is clearly using logos and trademarks (American Trans Air) that are still owned by Southwest Airlines. Does this mean we are allowed to use brand identities of defunct airlines?

According to my understanding of the rules, no.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
According to my memory from manual (can't find it now), yes. The use of cease to exist airlines like Pan Am is allowed, but not encouraged

Offline jkwicinski

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
According to my memory from manual (can't find it now), yes. The use of cease to exist airlines like Pan Am is allowed, but not encouraged

Half right -- thanks for pointing me to the manual -- here's the key text:

"As stated in the airline founding / creation page the airlines may not use names that are real world airline names or other trademarked company names, or names that very closely resemble those. The name and logo must be also within good taste and shall not be offensive in any way.

If you are in doubt if an airline or other company with your name exists, a simple Google search is enough to check it. The administration does not expect users to check trademark registries or other sources when deciding their airline name. In other words please use common sense.

Historical airline names may be allowed if it is certain that the name is no longer owned by any other company; it is the responsibility of the user to check this. But generally past airline names (such as Pan Am) are not recommended. Please create your own custom airline instead."

Since the ATA trademarks and logos are still owned by Southwest, I'd suggest Sami disallow the use of it.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
Half right -- thanks for pointing me to the manual -- here's the key text:

"As stated in the airline founding / creation page the airlines may not use names that are real world airline names or other trademarked company names, or names that very closely resemble those. The name and logo must be also within good taste and shall not be offensive in any way.

If you are in doubt if an airline or other company with your name exists, a simple Google search is enough to check it. The administration does not expect users to check trademark registries or other sources when deciding their airline name. In other words please use common sense.

Historical airline names may be allowed if it is certain that the name is no longer owned by any other company; it is the responsibility of the user to check this. But generally past airline names (such as Pan Am) are not recommended. Please create your own custom airline instead."

Since the ATA trademarks and logos are still owned by Southwest, I'd suggest Sami disallow the use of it.

You can report the airline for the infraction from the airline info page and it will go somewhere in a black hole where they will allegedly get slapped with a trout. I have not seen any get fixed anytime recently, so I doubt how well that is monitored...

Offline [ATA] b757capt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »

Trademark search is your friend..... Please see the attached documentation showing the trademark is now "DEAD."
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4801:h9xg3r.1.1

As for your history lesson it is incorrect. Southwest Airlines purchased the assets and naming rights to ATA Airlines Inc. not American Trans Air. ATA dropped the American Trans Air from their corporate structure years before they died.

Offline xyeahtony

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:06:14 AM »

The name "Pan Am" is still trademarked and owned by a holding company. In fact, that now defunct show "Pan Am" had to pay hefty rights to a holding company to use that name, logo, etc.

But of course, theres a "Pan Am" airline in AWS, and its' been around for awhile. Names are generally inconsequential. Airlines that are named something like "Fly United Airlines" border on this as well, but they are still around. No big deal.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
Who cares anyway....as it makes zero difference to playing the game.
The only issue is maybe a legal one for the owner of this Sim...so report it to Sami...your job is done.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
blablabla get a life

bye

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
I never understood why people get their knickers in a twist about this.  It usually has something to do with a personal vendetta against another player.  Yea, you should try to come up with something more original than "American Airlines" or otherwise, but even if you do it is technically the trademark owner's responsibility to enforce their own trademarks (see the douchebags at Monster Cable suing putt putt golf courses with Monster in the name).

Since AWS is private and you have to be logged in and pay to join a game world to so it, it's not like millions of people are seeing the "infringement".  If "Fly United Airlines" goes BK etc. it's not going to affect the real United Airlines in that people are going to stop flying with them, which is the true point of trademark protection/enforcement.

IMO a better topic of discussion would be "Peoples Express" in DOTM.  PEOPLExpress was an airline in the 80s that got absorbed by Continental (United) and is being started back up and is no longer "defunct".  But in the end, what does it really matter?

Offline Slurve30

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 07:39:18 PM »
For historical accuracy though, the airline should have been based at Midway (KMDW/MDW)   :P

Offline [ATA] frimp

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »
Couldn't agree more with Lemonbutt on this one..

If people have time to worry about these sorts of things, then maybe it's a sign for them to take a step up and run an airline from LHR.. that should keep them busy.
Sami shouldn't worry about these sorts of things in my view... he shouldn't be distracted by these sorts of posts..

he should be able to dedicate his time to improve the game on more pressing issues (city based demand/cargo/etc..) that will improve the gameplay for all of us..
The name of an airline isn't going to make my AWS experience any better or worse.

Offline xyeahtony

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »
this thread is just hilarious because the OP was wrong about the whole thing and American Trans Air isn't infringing on anyone lol.

alexis08

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:01 AM »
no its called airtran form known as valujet ;D who i use to work for

Offline [ATA] b757capt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
For historical accuracy though, the airline should have been based at Midway (KMDW/MDW)   :P

Agreed. Too bad the demand wont allow it. Then again maybe that's why the RL one is gone LOL

Offline [ATA] b757capt

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:24:34 AM »
no its called airtran form known as valujet ;D who i use to work for

Umm wrong.

alexis08

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
no its not wrong valujet became airtran airtran was bought by southwest ;D

Offline xyeahtony

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:53 AM »
no its not wrong valujet became airtran airtran was bought by southwest ;D

AirTran was bought from Southwest yes. Airtran is NOT ATA jesus christ.

ATA; aka American Trans Air is a charter airline founded in Indianapolis in 1973. FAA Callsign: AmTran

AirTran; aka AirTran Airways is a regular pax airline that was founded by the AirTran corporation and started service in Orlando. ValuJet bought AirTran Corporation in 1997. Since Valujet sucked and had so many problems, they merged and became AirTran a few years later. Callsign: Citrus.

TWO DIFFERENT AIRLINES. But nice try.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:36:43 AM by [SC] xyeahtony »

alexis08

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »
agreed ty ;D

alexis08

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:27 AM »
yea they sucked i worked for them up to the crash

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.