Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: BANKRUPTCY  (Read 1589 times)

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: BANKRUPTCY
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 02:16:20 AM »
Every gameworld LHR always seems a hot topic... it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last..
I've played LHR in one of the JA games and must say it wasn't fun.. It pretty much becomes a job rather than a game.

Personally I wouldnt be too upset if LHR was an airport we could only fly into and have no1 based there. Slots would probably still run out but more of a chance to pick up some new ones when airlines BK. That would be one way of erradicating this issue but then there are always people who like the constant slot monitoring job and want to be based in LHR, So I can't see it happen.

people who chose LHR should know in advance that they will be up against it.

It very much was like a job. I would not recommend a HQ at LHR to anyone, it really does drain you and it is not fun. I have been on AWS for almost 4 years and despite normally playing in 3 game worlds at a time, I have never felt burnt out until MT9. Never again....back to the type of airports I like to play from here on out, the likes of JNB, ALG, HKG, etc. Big airports that can support a top 10 airline but do not require 24/7 attention to guarantee success.

That being said, LHR has been quite an experience. I have learned more in the last few months than in the rest of my AWS "career" combined.

Ricky, you may say I am not as good of a manager as you because your turnover was just $1b shy of mine on fewer LHR slots, but keep in mind you had 3 full or almost full bases.....you had a nearly identical total departure count across your system so your argument is invalid. You ran a good airline but rage quit because you did not get the slots you wanted and you generally made your self look like a kid throwing a tantrum in the forums.

I also had a good conversation with Puma about the slot mechanic. The quota, if put in place with the public slot pool, is not the answer IMHO. This slot problem only affects a very small subset of airports, so a blanket limit on slot purchases will do nothing but hurt playability for the casual player. The terminal idea is a good idea, but it raises the question of how public vs private slots would be handled. Would based airlines get a "starter terminal" and have to expand/grow from there or would they start with public slots and have to buy terminals to expand? If the latter, how would the used public slots be dealt with when the terminal was purchased? At the end of the day, the only real, essentially fool proof answer is city based demand combined with the terminal idea. This would disperse the HQ's and allow additional competition since the guy with a hub in Saint Louis could compete for the London-Los Angeles passengers along with any airline offering direct/connecting service on the route. Traditional slot restricted airports would, undoubtedly, still be popular, but suitable substitutes would be available.

Until the way slots are handled, the few heavily constrained airports will draw attention every game. All I can say to anyone looking at an LHR base is plan on not having a life outside AWS for at least the first 6 weeks of the game. It is not worth it, IMO.

Ricky and Puma, I am sorry you left the game, but you both ran great airlines and I hope to see you in a future game!

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 02:18:10 AM »
Doesn't LHR in MT9 has way more slots than last MT8? However, demand also increase a lot ??? I didn't recall JFK route have more than 6000 demand daily, and now it has like 13000. Same deal with LAX, EWR, MIA, ORD, IAD, and some other USA major airports  :-\

Way more slots. MT8 ended with 64/hr, MT9 at 81/hr. JFK is showing as much as 14,500 pax/day and SIN over 13,000. CRAZY demand and I am sure more than triple real life numbers.
CEO PacAir

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
"but i don't imagine any airline in LHR (let's say BA) being at the door of LHR, and beehive like crazy,  to get some slots..."

You mean like they do in real-life at LGA, JFK, DCA, or ORD???

AA,DL, and US are well known for slot-parking. over the past 15 years they have put MANY unprofitable RJ's on runs to hold the slots, (AA populated ORD with 100 ATR's at one point to hold slots) and to keep competition out. Sorry, but that's the way it is in real life. In the U.S., only a BK or a merger slot disbursement makes slots available in those airports.

If PACAIR is indeed doing that, it may not be kosher, but the only way you beat it is to out-frequency it. Yeah, it costs money, and isn't as efficient as running one plane for 100% of available pax, but life sucks.

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 03:06:14 AM »
"but i don't imagine any airline in LHR (let's say BA) being at the door of LHR, and beehive like crazy,  to get some slots..."

You mean like they do in real-life at LGA, JFK, DCA, or ORD???

AA,DL, and US are well known for slot-parking. over the past 15 years they have put MANY unprofitable RJ's on runs to hold the slots, (AA populated ORD with 100 ATR's at one point to hold slots) and to keep competition out. Sorry, but that's the way it is in real life. In the U.S., only a BK or a merger slot disbursement makes slots available in those airports.

If PACAIR is indeed doing that, it may not be kosher, but the only way you beat it is to out-frequency it. Yeah, it costs money, and isn't as efficient as running one plane for 100% of available pax, but life sucks.

The smallest plane PacAir operates seats 107 and the only reason  PacAir ordered said plane was to combat the OP.  ;)
CEO PacAir

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:10 AM »
At one point in the early 90's, AA was 13x daily ATR's on ORD-IND. My meaningless opinion is to leave it as it is. If you want to play with the big boys, you have to learn how. Or buy a Senator or three (also known as the "Juan Trippe Method).

Offline Slurve30

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:03 AM »
I don't have a horse in this race, and this is only my third MT game, but here's what I have learned from the forums.  Don't base in LHR unless you have a strong support system (alliance), and also will be at the computer, or can be at the computer virtually non-stop.  No thank you.  I'll gladly sit at ORD or any other large airport and not have to worry about such a huge time investment.

Do I feel bad for puma and ricky?  A little... but LHR is just a whole different beast in this game from the rest of the world.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »
or can be at the computer virtually non-stop. 

This is exactly the point. No need to sit in front 24/7, just be able to get in front of it asap in case of a slot drop. Not every job and/or family situation allows for this, and in any case you need an alliance with players all over the world so a few are always on and can check every now and then.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.