Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Scraping aircraft  (Read 444 times)

Offline ANstar

• Members
Scraping aircraft
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
So currently we can't scrap aircraft until they reach a certain age... not 100% sure what it is but is there any chance there can be a rethink in this rule?

Surely scrapping an aircraft should be the decision of the airline and it shouldn't matter if it is 5 years old or 12 years old.  I have 2 727's that no one is going to buy that have been on the used market at lowest possible cost for 2 years... I would much rather just scrap them as there is no demand for them.

And don't get me started on all the aircraft with expired d checks etc from peanut airlines on the used market that will never get sold.

Sami please have a rethink -especially for this longer game world where fleets will rollover a few times.

Offline JJP

• Members
Re: Scraping aircraft
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
I agree with this.  Or, at the least, we could sell them to the NPC leasing companies.

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:36 AM »
Scrapping age is 15 years.  However I did get a plane back from a bankrupt leasee and it was in such bad shape the system let me scrap it early (off topic, but think this discussed elsewhere and a great enhancement).

I think what would make sense  is for the first generation jets to have a lower scrap age if that is feasible to program.  For example, maybe the Caravelles I, II, III, the Early Comets, first 707s, DC8 -10/20 could be 8 years as these are almost obsolete by the first D check.  That way-theoretically-you wouldn't have 2 pages of DC-8-10 & 20s to scroll through if folks actually scrapped them.

Maybe the next gen  planes like the HS 1C, Caravelle N, Dc-8 30/40. are set at 10-12 years.  Then I'd think 15 years is reasonable for the planes that come out by the late 1960s and have reasonable operating costs.

Not sure about the 737-100 and 727-100, could fall in 10-12 years, but realistically real airlines flew these things close to 25-30 years.   united was flying their 727-100s well into 1990s and I flew a Continetal 737-100 originally delivered to Lufthansa in 1990s and it had a back left door that was actually stairs that folded up into the cabin :o.  I think delta is still flying a few remaining 40+ year old NW DC-9s...although not advocating that.   :laugh:

BD

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
This might run counter to the intent for this request for storage fees on idle aircraft.

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,49005.0.html

If there was an overabundance of "first gen" aircraft in the used market (e.g. DC6 models) then early scrapping probably won't make a difference.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.