Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Starting now?  (Read 918 times)

Offline DennisN

• Members
Starting now?
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »
I was late to this world and having a very difficult time getting my airline off the ground.  Any tips or ideas when starting later in the game but still want to be based at a larger airport?  My latest thought is starting with all premium seating and pricing about 10% higher than defaults.  Will that draw in pax from competitors?  Thanks for any tips.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
Re: Starting now?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Most important thing is to find an airport where competition isn't very tight, it will kill you right away as a collateral.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
My latest thought is starting with all premium seating and pricing about 10% higher than defaults.

This will be a quick path to BK. What have you tried so far, and why hasn't it worked?

As long as you find an airport that has a reasonable number of slots to use, it shouldn't be that much tougher than starting on day 1. It's 5 years in, so the used market should be starting to be a bit better. The key is to be efficient, to make good decisions, and to put in the effort to plan ahead. Start on the really big routes, only a couple of times/day, that's where you'll get the fullest planes to start with. Look at the used market, decide on the 1 or 2 fleets you will use to get up & running (so at least first 20-30 planes). You want them to be an appropriate size, and both available & affordable. That may be older 737s, or widely available turboprops, or medium jets. It's going to be much tougher to start with LH, because the planes are expensive, the routes support less planes/day, the operating costs are higher. Basically, research which fleets you can start with. Research which routes you have available. Make good choices with both of those, run an efficient schedule that gets the most revenue out of your planes, and you should succeed. Do not use premium seats, do not increase prices at the start. You can't reconfigure your first two planes until after they arrive, but you can order 3 more planes in the first week (if you start with enough cash), and you'll probably want to reconfigure those to add some business seats.

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
Lease the 737-100/200

They are extremely cheap. 14million per aircraft.

Find a Medium Sized airport. You should be fine.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
I think the 737 classics (300/400/500) may have a better long term potential, and they are widely available now.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »
Lease the 737-100/200

They are extremely cheap. 14million per aircraft.

Find a Medium Sized airport. You should be fine.

That's a possibility in the beginning to jumpstart growth, right now it would be plain stupid. Better alternatives are widely available and fuel could mount any second, 732 could prove a death sentence.

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:21:10 AM »
The difference in fuel burn between the 737-200adv and the 737-300 isn't much of a difference. It saw a 737-200adv for 12million. Thats THREE 737-200adv for every ONE 737-300.

If you do short hops between cities, the fuel burn won't come into play yet. 

I always loved starting with the 737-200Adv. They are just sooo cheap. Its a good starting aircraft and then you can slowly replace it.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:08 AM »
The difference in fuel burn between the 737-200adv and the 737-300 isn't much of a difference. It saw a 737-200adv for 12million. Thats THREE 737-200adv for every ONE 737-300.

I always loved starting with the 737-200Adv. They are just sooo cheap. Its a good starting aircraft and then you can slowly replace it.

Alternatively, MD88's burn about the same amount of fuel while carrying 25% more passengers (i.e. static costs compared to far more revenue potential). Also great performers on short hops.

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 04:36:26 AM »
Alternatively, MD88's burn about the same amount of fuel while carrying 25% more passengers (i.e. static costs compared to far more revenue potential). Also great performers on short hops.

That I agree with you :)

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »

But fuel isn't the only thing, A 732 costs more than double the 733 in maintenance. Plus, 737 Classic offers 3 sizes, 732 doesn't.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 04:56:48 AM »
But fuel isn't the only thing, A 732 costs more than double the 733 in maintenance. Plus, 737 Classic offers 3 sizes, 732 doesn't.

Exactly, you need to double the estimated lease cost to account for A/B/C checks.  And if you happen to come across a D check, as a new airline, it is a BK / restart time...

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Its tough starting now. I had an airline there for the last month or so in Kunming Wujiaba, China. I got into a bit of a pickle with my fleet types and spent a bit more then I had planned. Anyway, it was a pretty successful airline (its hard to fail in a place like China) but I decided to start again. I briefly started up in Mauritius but quickly decided to start again because it was going to be very slow to start an airline there. So I've now picked Bucharest and hoping to become the biggest (and only, so far) airline based in Romania. Again, its not a particularly easy place to start an airline but its a start.

I would however consider the possibility of running two MT9 simultaniusly (started maybe a month or two real time apart) and reduce the playing numbers to around 350-400 each.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.