Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Picking up slots for a team member?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
Picking up slots for a team member?
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
I certainly don't want to run anyone down.
But obviously, I monitor my competition closely and make some observations. I have, multiple times now, seen a certain competitor (no name dropping) in my airport (LAX) pick up several sets of LHR slots without flying them, only to lose them later, presumably to his alliance member in LHR.

And I was just wondering if that is allowed as per the rules. It is, effectively, slot hogging, but then, we all get our mates aircraft to accelerate deliveries and that is not so much different to this.
I just want some clarity on that matter.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Picking up slots for a team member?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »
I'd call it cheating. But I call lots of things cheating, like selling an about to get C-checked plane to your friend one day, and then buying a brand new version of the same plane from him the next day, and picking up a couple of million in the deal as well. And I've watched that sort of cash transfer to a badly-run airline happen multiple times.

Bulk-ordering new planes to sell to people I'm ok with, especially from non-full production lines. Less ok with reserving planes for friends on the used market, though it is something I've done in the past.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
I would call that against the rule, as one airline got slots with no intention of flying them

I have, multiple times now, seen a certain competitor (no name dropping) in my airport (LAX) pick up several sets of LHR slots without flying them, only to lose them later, presumably to his alliance member in LHR.

Side question, how do you know if he bought slots at an airport, and dropped them later? Did you watch the number of slots he owned at that airport before and after the transaction by the airport slot page?

brique

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Its tricky ground : I've done sweetheart deals for fellow alliance members on plane leases : I've also bought planes from them when they have been struggling and maybe paid more than they were really worth too. Its hard to know where the line needs drawing on such things : there is the limit on % mark-up to a fellow alliance member, so, to my mind, that's the line in those cases.

I dont have any issues with buying planes for friends, after all, that's what a player-broker is doing anyway so its much the same thing.

On slots, however, I think its much more clear-cut : the rule is, if you dont intend to fly them yourself, within the time-limits stated, then its wrong to take them up : the type of action described by saftfrucht is , to my mind, a calculated breach of that rule and should be sanctioned as such.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Did you watch the number of slots he owned at that airport before and after the transaction by the airport slot page?

Yes. Although he has actually resorted to flying the latest batch, maybe out of bad conscience.

Offline Lubeca

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
in theory that`s a delicate question. i would also call it slot hogging if i would do it. but i`ve never done it. also i don`t know how you made your  observations and investigations.

good flights to everybody

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
i call it the benefits of being in an alliance and having a team of players to work with.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
Playing against the rules or spirit of the game is even worse if itīs done by an alliance.So this behaviour is regarded as "clever" by members and even fair players are forced to act likewise.
Acquiring slots is tied to the use of the acquirer, any placeholding action, if done for own planes yet to be delivered or someone elseīs, is at least against the spirit, if not the rules.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 05:09:57 AM »
How many ways can some of these guys find to cheat?
get rid of Alliances as most cheating seems to go on within the 'spirit of gameplay' in an alliance
At least play a game world with no alliances and see how some of these players fair then.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:26 AM »
How many ways can some of these guys find to cheat?
get rid of Alliances as most cheating seems to go on within the 'spirit of gameplay' in an alliance
At least play a game world with no alliances and see how some of these players fair then.

You do realize that rules surrounding alliances actually bar a number of anti-competitive things that would be harder to detect with no visible connection between the airlines, right?

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
A cheat will always cheat (and then justify to himself that it is smart play...yea right)
The idea with getting rid of alliances is to get rid of the incentive (maybe)
Most of the 'cheating schemes' that we end up finding out about are within alliances

Nearly all of the cheating we have had posted here over time is due to Alliance activity -
slot hogging for others
cash transfer via planes
access to loans
production queue lockouts
etc
etc

Offline Tiberius

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:20:57 AM »
Is his behavior giving him an unfair advantage overall? It seems like a few slots hardly matter in the long run, and the problem isn't systematic throughout the world its for a highly prized airport where everyone pays extra attention.  No reactionary changes!  I like collaboration and teamwork and if someone takes it to this level then power to them for their micromanagement.  I never have really hogged slots but I've participated in reasonable but favorable aircraft purchases and so forth and its all fair game!  Most people don't have time to check slots 20 times a day and I wish my alliance could purchase group slots and share them as desired (for a fee).  Let's take teamwork to the next level and make alliances better and even more collaborative.  Some things are cheating and some are working in the framework provided with reasonable intentions.

I also want good slots at both LA and London but realize slots are highly prized and opportunities will arise in the future.  So I bide my time.

Offline Tiberius

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
i call it the benefits of being in an alliance and having a team of players to work with.
aka what he said.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »
A cheat will always cheat (and then justify to himself that it is smart play...yea right)
The idea with getting rid of alliances is to get rid of the incentive (maybe)
Most of the 'cheating schemes' that we end up finding out about are within alliances

Nearly all of the cheating we have had posted here over time is due to Alliance activity -
slot hogging for others
cash transfer via planes
access to loans
production queue lockouts
etc
etc

you hear about it because they get caught.  The catching part gets harder if the airlines are not obviously related and all their organization takes place offsite.

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
This is an open and shut case Saftibaby, slots are bought to be flown by purchasing airline.  Its even against the rules to close a newly purchased route that has not flown and re-use the slot yourself somewhere else...never mind handing it over to another airline.  If you have evidence of this I am sure Sami would like to hear about it.
...it's not over until I say it's over

Offline Jetsetter

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 02:10:57 AM »
Most people don't have time to check slots 20 times a day and I wish my alliance could purchase group slots and share them as desired (for a fee).  Let's take teamwork to the next level and make alliances better and even more collaborative.  Some things are cheating and some are working in the framework provided with reasonable intentions.

I don't want to join an alliance. Should I go f*** myself for trying to get LHR slots ever again?

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
I don't want to join an alliance. Should I go f*** myself for trying to get LHR slots ever again?

Yep, you may aswell !

The alliances have a strong network of communication to alert players when slots drop - especially at LHR, so until something changes with the game mechanics then that won't change either.

Offline Jetsetter

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
Yep, you may aswell !

The alliances have a strong network of communication to alert players when slots drop - especially at LHR, so until something changes with the game mechanics then that won't change either.

Unless there was an elemental change to the system that regulated such practices, assuming they were detectable, thus decreasing the leverage of the most rehearsed players against those who are unwilling to join an alliance or those who haven't been invited in the form of overbearing slot dominance. I don't get how the biggest players at LHR happen to be so adept at acquiring slots, unless the explanation is they only leave their computers when their mother says their Hot Pockets are ready.

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
As he is in a strong alliance that will notify him of slot drops, and to be fair that is the point of being in an alliance...team work.

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
unwilling =/= unable. And if you don't respect alliance rule and willing to work with other, then it is your issue. You can't get all you want like a baby does.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.