Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slot Fiasco  (Read 1089 times)

rickyricky101

• Former member
Slot Fiasco
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
This game has surpassed itself!!

No slots issued at London Heathrow for over 3 days at least 81 hours.  Then overnight 3 new slots mysteriously appear whilst most of the community slept.  Surprise surprise out of the 357 slots released one lucky grabber who was in a time zone conducive to being awake during said 8 hour time period grabs 310 slots or 86.8% Fantastic.

What a great simulation this is.

It seems to me the only requisite for playing this game is to not sleep.

I might add that of the 6 resident airlines at said Airport only 1 grabbed the slots.

Sort it our Sami this is a Pxxx take, and don't all start insulting me by saying I had the option not to sleep.   :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:29:34 AM by rickyricky101 »

brique

• Former member
Re: Slot Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »
This game has surpassed itself!!

No slots issued at London Heathrow for over 3 days at least 81 hours.  Then overnight 3 new slots mysteriously appear whilst most of the community slept.  Surprise surprise out of the 357 slots released one lucky grabber who was in a time zone conducive to being awake during said 8 hour time period grabs 310 slots or 86.8% Fantastic.

What a great simulation this is.

yep, it's amazing how it replicates time-zones so well, when, as we all know, the world is really run off the same clock and everyone goes to bed and gets back up at the same time...

Come on, assume the entire community is spread evenly across the time zones, then its a kinda statistical thing that 33% are likely to be abed during any 8 hr period, 33% are probably at work, and the other 33%, whilst awake, may not be on-line at all, doing stuff like eating or shopping and the last 1% are drinking super-strength shots in a disreputable bar...

So, no matter who grabs the slots when they drop, 66% of the community, at least, will feel the same as you about it... when they wake up (or 67% the 1% get sober)...

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
The point is we have all been hanging around for the last 3 days then all at once 3 drop, surely a staggered drop would allow an even distribution of allocation.

Also, perhaps to drop each hours time slots at different periods rather than dropping the entire days slots all at once would allow for some fairer competition, I have suggested this but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears.

Anyway not to worry, next time it might be me grabbing the majority.   ;)

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
errr that's how it was every single game worked for the past... god knows how long... this is nothing new.

you created this account 3-4 months ago and jump into the hottest water out of all(MT+LHR). A position many experienced player will not even dare to think about going unless you know you are going to be at the computer most of the day(work, no life.... whatever) and even then a trip to the lou may cost you a whole drop. I admire your bravery but a miss drop after few days of dry spell is expected when you are in the most congested airport of all, and it will happen more often later in the game. An average slot drop in PEK/SHA at DOTM once spotted is gone in less then 5 minutes... and it is in a lessor world and lessor competition. A 500 slot BK airline will vanish within 1 hour.

so yup, system has flaw(when you fail to get the drop, but rewarding if you get it all... I'd imagine you won't argue if you got the whole drop also), but a new redesign by sami is on the way and I am looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:06:15 AM by Aoitsuki »

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
Thanks for your comments, yes I am fairly new and getting used to the game, and yes it is the depths of hot water so it is my inexperience showing, sorry for the rant.  I do look forward to any improvements Sami makes!

brique

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
The point is we have all been hanging around for the last 3 days then all at once 3 drop, surely a staggered drop would allow an even distribution of allocation.

Also, perhaps to drop each hours time slots at different periods rather than dropping the entire days slots all at once would allow for some fairer competition, I have suggested this but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears.

Anyway not to worry, next time it might be me grabbing the majority.   ;)

Its randomised : to stop folk sitting eagerly at their desk clock-watching with fingers poised to hit the keys (as used to be the case : and most were not happy to miss drops) : and in the nature of random events, there is no knowing when they will occur, or re-occur (as is now the case: and most are not happy to miss drops) : Its a bugbear, especially at high-demand locations like LHR and part of being based in such locations : It is an ongoing discussion, how to make the whole process more equitable whilst still retaining a competitive edge : for most airports, its not such a big deal, for the top-ranked majors, its a life-or-death issue : creating a solution that works for both is not as easy as it might seem at first glance : vis : the recent dynamic slot pricing change : and yes: most weren't happy with that either.

check out the 'Slots - Final Solution' thread : some ideas are being kicked around (prior to probably being kicked to death) : make a contribution to the discussion and maybe we can find a solution that makes most happy.

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
I fully accept the randomness, however I had never seen double or triple slot drops before, due to inexperience, so this was a big shock, as previously it was only a case of just missing the one drop.  Also, the waiting around for 80 hours was hard to take and to miss not one but theree slots as you can imagine is at least frustrating.

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
I feel your pain(I am the type who get a little bit upset when I miss a drop also :P ), I have not seen 3 drop before until this game world but I heard from alliance mate it happens. But anyhow, not all is lost especially you seem to be doing better then me  ;) And being in LHR means you have serious premium padding. Better luck next time!

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
LHR is the worst airport in the entire game for slots. Base there and expect slot hell ! It has always been that way, and therefore only the most active players will succeed at LHR.  IMO LHR is best avoided as a base airport for all the reason you state, but being new you maybe did not know that, however get used to it...LHR will be like this until the game ends !!
If you feel its too much its not too late to try somewhere a little less frustrating as there are many large airports where you could avoid this stress.

As Brique says a solution is being worked on, but it won't affect the game you are playing unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:04:01 AM by SAC »
...it's not over until I say it's over

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
I cannot believe it another 3 slots just released!!  Very strange none for 80+ hours then 6 in 10 hours!!  I got some at last, very lucky. ;D  The slot Gods have been generous today.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:06:33 PM by rickyricky101 »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
I cannot believe it another 3 slots just released!!  Very strange none for 80+ hours then 6 in 10 hours!!  I got some at last, very lucky. ;D  The slot Gods have been generous today.

Shhhh... you do realise the 67% who were asleep, shopping, eating, working or in that bar now hate you? Well, maybe not the 1% in the bar...

Offline schlaf

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Same happend in Tokyo Henada. +3slots yesterday, and another +3slots for an hour ago. Strange..

Maybe one way to avoid that some1 get all slots may be to never release more than 1slot/hour every time?

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
They say there are only 2 certain things in life - Death & Taxes

However the saying in AWS should be -
There are only 2 certain things in a game
Complaints about slots
Complaints about the Used Aircraft Market

Lets make the game easier by giving everybody as many slots as they want and as many planes as they can handle...that should make it a much more enjoyable game to play...lol

Choosing LHR is a high risk strategy if you do not intend to spend a lot of hours behind your keyboard.......so basically ....you started at the wrong airport for your strategy and now want Sami to fix your mistake for you?

Offline schlaf

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
There are only 2 certain things in a game
Complaints about slots
Complaints about the Used Aircraft Market

The whole game in the beginning is about get slots, and get used airplane. So i dont see that its something strange about thats what people complains about.... ???

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
It has gone from one extreme to the other, and yes, one airline would struggle to get all the slots that are being dropped at the frequency they are dropping, however that raises another question...in MT8 AMS finished on 68 slots p/h, but within 2 years of the start, and over 25 years to play, AMS is already now at 39.  Will the total slot count be as MT8, or will it now be raised to cope with this sudden increase of drops ?

IMO the current way of regular, plentyfull and cheap drops is far better than very rare drops with silly prices.
...it's not over until I say it's over

brique

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
maybe Sami was the 1% in the bar... got home and hit the wrong buttons... and is still wondering why the microwave is taking so long to cook dinner....

Offline schlaf

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:47:16 AM »
another +3slots at Tokyo Henada, third day in a row now with 3slots every time.. Whats going on?

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »
Is there an ability to sell slots? I have 2 transcon flights to LHR from New York, IS there a way to sell the slots to another airline to make some cash.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »
No, because you donīt own them.You only kind of lease them from the airport authority, and if you donīt use them, they go back to it without any refund.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
maybe Sami was the 1% in the bar... got home and hit the wrong buttons... and is still wondering why the microwave is taking so long to cook dinner....

LOL

;D

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.