Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Which is best?  (Read 533 times)

rickyricky101

• Former member
Which is best?
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
Which aircraft is the better and would be most profitable?

ATR 72-500 or
Embraer CRJ 145EU

What type of routes are each suited to?

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: Which is best?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:46:39 PM »
Embraer CRJ 145EU

This isn't a plane.  Did you mean Embraer ERJ 145 or were you trying to say Bombardier CRJ (I'm assuming ERJ)?

IMO you can fly both on the short routes, but ERJ was made for the longer ~400nm+ routes.

As far as profits, it will depend a lot on how long the routes are and load factors.  ERJ burns more fuel and will be less profitable, but if you have to fly the ATR plus another fleet type for the longer routes then it's basically a wash.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
Why not use the "compare aircraft" page under "aircraft" section and make some calculations.

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Yes, Sorry I meant Bombadier.

Yes I did the compare aircraft and still couldn't decide.

The Jet is obviously faster and heavier on fuel, but will the speed increase demand?  On paper the ATR would be more profitable, but does the increase in speed increase the price you can charge for the tickets to gain the same demand?

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
No it does not. But, the CRJ might have the advantage on timings and with good scheduling you might squeeze in an extra flight.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
Yes, Sorry I meant Bombadier.

Yes I did the compare aircraft and still couldn't decide.

The Jet is obviously faster and heavier on fuel, but will the speed increase demand?  On paper the ATR would be more profitable, but does the increase in speed increase the price you can charge for the tickets to gain the same demand?

If you are flying short haul, the CRJ speed advantage is usually less than 5 or 10 minutes because for short flights it won't get up to full speed/altitude in time to make a difference.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
So it depends again on the circumstances, mainly how far most of their possible routes are away. If you can fly a CRJ four times when ATR only goes three.....
CRJ´s in general are not much money-making especially if fuel goes up. Some airlines BKed because of them in other worlds.Don´t use them for long routes, although they could make them.

rickyricky101

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
Realistically it looks like the ATR 72-500 then from what your saying.  If the CRJ flies one extra scheduled route per week the profit made for that route would be minimal, however the cost in fuel is almost double so given expected fuel prices the more profitable is clearly the ATR.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Realistically it looks like the ATR 72-500 then from what your saying.  If the CRJ flies one extra scheduled route per week the profit made for that route would be minimal, however the cost in fuel is almost double so given expected fuel prices the more profitable is clearly the ATR.

Which CRJ are you looking at?  Fuel cost isn't necessarily double as fuel burn is based on per hour, and the CRJ can fly over 60% faster than the ATR.  You also need to take expansion into the equation.  If demand grows, you can't swap an ATR 72 for a larger ATR--you will have to change the fleet type, adjust schedules, etc.  With the CRJ, you can fly the 200, upgrade to the 700, and then upgrade again to the 1000 to go from 40 seats to 100 seats and do so seamlessly.  When comparing the CRJ1000 to the ATR72, it will cost you double the slots/pilots/cabin crew/aircraft to serve the same demand as a single CRJ1000.  Depending on what other fleets you have, it may not matter.  For example, if you're flying the B717 then you'd just upgrade from an ATR72 to a B717.  However, that gives you 2 fleet types to maintain versus 1.  You are asking a really broad question and there is no wrong answer--it all depends on what your objectives are and what you're looking to accomplish.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.