Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: No slots today, no slots tomorrow, very limited slots EVER  (Read 2213 times)

brique

• Former member
Re: No slots today, no slots tomorrow, very limited slots EVER
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
A slot a slot......my kingdom for a slot!!!

Whilst climbing up upon the stair,
I passed a slot that wasn't there,
it wasn't there again today,
Oh, how I wish that slot would go away!

Offline The Great Santini

• Members
    • My Banner
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »
IMO there are 2 scenarios that should be addressed:

1.  The abuse by some to schedule flights less than 1 hour apart to snatch up slots; i.e., departures at 0600 and 0620 to the same destination and
2.  Running an a/c such as an A300 down the highway 174 miles just to use up one slot 7 days a week.  It would not happen in the real world.

Airports in the real world limit the amount of slots to an airline that wants to begin service to said airport.  The airline has to prove itself to the city fathers that they are serious about servicing their community and not just experimenting on if the route(s) are viable.  If we cannot lease more than 2 aircraft per day then why should there not be a cap on the amount of slots available to an airline until that airline has earned a route image of say 30 or whatever.

Just my thoughts.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 04:46:51 AM »

1.  The abuse by some to schedule flights less than 1 hour apart to snatch up slots; i.e., departures at 0600 and 0620 to the same destination and

That's no abuse, that's perfectly okay on very dense routes.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2013, 07:11:55 AM »
IMO there are 2 scenarios that should be addressed:

2.  Running an a/c such as an A300 down the highway 174 miles just to use up one slot 7 days a week.  It would not happen in the real world.

Just my thoughts.

Why don't you start from Haneda for once....
And as we now have arrived on the "that doesn't happen in the real world' thing once again, I would like to remind you that this is a GAME.

Do airlines fly A380's in high density configuration between Heathrow and Glasgow? Well, I did and it was good money....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:16:49 AM by Maarten Otto »

Offline Captim

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
My 2 cents.

It's been mentioned before that the used a/c market limit works well. So, why not implement these limits to slot purchase (also mentioned before)?

Each base airline receives say 10 weekly 7 day slots as part of their 'buy in' with the airport authority. After say a month, they receive an additional 1, 7 day slot allocation from the airport every week ( or two ) . These can be banked so as not to harm casual users, but expire after maybe 3 months. Noone flying into each airport is able to open more than one flight per week either, so as not to disadvantage the based airlines too much. Trying to purchase slots in addition to your allocation will result in the message 'the airport planning deaprtment are still dealing with your previous order'.

Also, how we grade airport sizes needs looking at urgently. The recent case of EGPF, Glasgow has been raised. It is classed as a 'Large' airport. In 2012 it handled 7.1m pax. KIAH, Houston GB is also a 'Large' airport, in 2011 it handled 40m pax ( source wiki ).

Regional airlines seem to have been stung badly here, just after all the work to reduce the small a/c penalty has been completed...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.