Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Add state countries state within route planning  (Read 389 times)

Offline Colsie123

• Members
Add state countries state within route planning
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
I would like to see the ability to filter my route planning by not only country but also state. For instance at the minute in north america challenge I am looking to operate within specific areas and if I could do this by state instead of by distance and searching it would save a lot of time.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: Add state countries state within route planning
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »
You can filter by time zone...does that help?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »
I would like to see the ability to filter my route planning by not only country but also state. For instance at the minute in north america challenge I am looking to operate within specific areas and if I could do this by state instead of by distance and searching it would save a lot of time.

Who's going to go through all 2500+ airports to work out which state/county/province/oblast/department each one is in?

If you want to put an artificial restriction on which airports you fly to, easier to just work it out yourself.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:18:08 AM »
I will say it would be useful to have a "directional" search for flying the direction you want.  So if you're flying red eyes and want to go east or west, you can just pull the airports that lie in that direction.  Since we have lon/lat data for every airport, this would just be pretty simple.  Right now all we can pull are timezone and concentric circles.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:15 AM »
Timezone already tells you if they're east or west. Assuming you can filter for multiple timezones. Don't know, I've never used it.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:33:39 AM »
Timezone already tells you if they're east or west. Assuming you can filter for multiple timezones. Don't know, I've never used it.

Can only filter for one timezone and still doesn't cover north/south.  I've only used the timezone search when scheduling red eye flights and trying to snag prime takeoff times on the return flight.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
State data of each airport is not stored in airports database so it would require manual/semi-manual work for the US airports which is too big of a task compared to the gains here...

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
State data of each airport is not stored in airports database so it would require manual/semi-manual work for the US airports which is too big of a task compared to the gains here...

Actually, the gains for the players can be quite significant. For example, intra-Texas flights have far more demand than do interstate flights, but finding those airports can be somewhat of a challenge.

Actually, if you used the Google Maps API you could just do reverse geocoding on each airport's coordinates (since you seem to have those in the database already) - https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/services?csw=1#ReverseGeocoding

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.